Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs Shure SRH750DJ & SRH840
Dec 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

XxRENDYxX

New Head-Fier
Hello. I want to buy closed headphones. I love high quality, clear and balanced sound. I don't like very big bass and (sharp) trebles. I don't want to use headphones on amplifier a lot of time, only sometimes. I want to use headphones on notebook, sometimes maybe on portable player. I listen a lot of music styles - Pop, Dance, Rock, Metal, R'n'B, Techno, House... I use only high quality music, from CDs and quality sources. I'm not DJ or producer, I only very like music. Please, help with these models. And, I prefer detachable cable, but M50 doesn't have this cable. Thanks for all replies...

Audio-Technica ATH-M50: http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=39&prodID=266
Shure SRH750DJ: http://www.shure.co.uk/products/headphones/srh750dj
Shure SRH840: http://www.shure.co.uk/products/headphones/srh840

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Is there any reason why they have to be closed?  You can get a lot of what you're looking for with better soundstage, possibly intstrument positioning, and even better imaging (depending on the headphone you choose) with an open set of headphones as well. 

Also, I don't understand why you'd want to amp headphones only a little bit of the time?  Amping isn't all about volume, its about a lot more than that.  If you've got an amp I'm sure you'd want to use it with your daily rig. 

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 8
A choose closed headphones because I'm a lot of time in noisy environment. And when I'm in quiet environment I need to sound isn't around me, only for me. I like more closed than opened, I try some in shop. And closed have better basses, I like it (no very big basses, but adequately).
And I know, if AMP is not only about volume. But, I have AMP at home and I'm at home briefly during the week...

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 8
The ATH - M50 have great detail and deep realistic bass, making this a fun headphone, one of my new favorites. They are easily driven , sound great right out of my headphone jack on my Mac. Drawbacks are they are tight, which makes them nicely cut out background noise, but fatigue of this sets in for me after a half hour or so, and the cord is very very long, I would have preferred a shorter cord. From my many choices I find them a great headphone for a short time, but they could never be a main/only headphone for me due to the tightness on my ears.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 8
I've listened to both the the m50's and the srh750dj's.  Ended up getting the srh750djs.

For the type of music I listen to (Electronic, Rap, Hip-Hop, General bass prominent music), the bass in the m50 was a little too muddy and inaccurate for me.  The headphone was also a little too harsh for my tastes.  The srh750djs solved both problems and added a bit more too, which I like.  Bass is much more prominent and accurate.  The rest of the sound range is good.  I would categorize the Srh750dj as more fun and enjoyable headphones rather than for accurate, critical listening.  After a while listening to a pair of very well balanced headphones, I ended up bored; so that's why I went ahead and purchased the srh750djs.

So far so good, very enjoyable set.

Edit: not to say the srh750dj's aren't accurate.  I would say their little bit bass hump makes it less accurate than let's say, the srh840, or maybe the m50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back