Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Bose AE2 vs Shure SRH840
Dec 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LazBro123

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a new pair headphones. I do not know which one to buy: Bose AE2, Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Shure SRH840. I am mainly going to listen to them on my Mac and my iPod. Which one is best? I know the Shure's are a little more expensive than the M50s, but I will pay the extra if I have to.

Thanks,

LazBro123

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 18

Quote:
Hey guys,

I am looking to buy a new pair headphones. I do not know which one to buy: Bose AE2, Audio Technica ATH-M50 or Shure SRH840. I am mainly going to listen to them on my Mac and my iPod. Which one is best? I know the Shure's are a little more expensive than the M50s, but I will pay the extra if I have to.

Thanks,

LazBro123

What kind of music do you listen to? How often? Where? etc. More details would help us decide on these headphones for you.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 18
ath-m50 by far.....one of the most amazing headphones for rap and rock, I have ever heard Bass is deep, but with clear separation between the lows, mids and highs...IMO they are one of the best headphones ever made...unbelieveable

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 18

ath-m50 by far.....one of the most amazing headphones for rap and rock, I have ever heard Bass is deep, but with clear separation between the lows, mids and highs...IMO they are one of the best headphones ever made...unbelieveable

Okay, I will take that into consideration. :) How about the Bose AE2? How do those compare with the Shure SRH840 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50?

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 18
Personally, im not of fan of Shure's at all....They really bring forth mids, and put the highs on the back burner. Im a big treble guy, so i don't like these at all...Actually, many people on here give Bose a bad name because of their popularity, but they are decent headphones. Good clarity, but your are paying more for the name, than what you are getting...The audio technica's amaze me everytime i listen to them

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 18
Have had the SRH840 & M50.
I still have the M50. The SRH840 were unwearable. Their headband had no padding (you'll find it's a common complaint), they were big and bukly. The M50 are more compact and portable.
They isolate about the same amount.
The SRH840 is a bit more neutral through the mids, but lack the punch of the M50's. They are both very good with highs, and maybe the M50 edges the SRH840 out slightly, but some have complained that they (M50's) are strident or metalic in the extreme highs. I have never found them so.
Slight recess in the M50 mids, but it's never, never... ever been an issue for me.
There is no comparison in the bass. The SRH840 is lacking (by comparison only).
If the SRH840 sound came in the M50 format, It would have been a tough choice for me, but they were unwearable.

But the M50's are fun and will work their way into your ears, brain and heart.

Good luck.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:

Okay, I will take that into consideration. :) How about the Bose AE2? How do those compare with the Shure SRH840 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50?

You're probably not going to get any good impressions of bose or beats headphones around these forums, but that's not to say you can't trust these people. I'd vouch for you to take the ATH M50 over the other ones, too. The Bose just don't sound that good, the M50's would be amazing for your taste in music.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 18
Why settle for crap. The only good headphones in that list is the shure srh840. M50 is hugely overrated.

Edit: it has come to the attention this post will garner attention. I own the m50s and they aren't very good to me. They are harsh and very fatiguing and they sound muffled.

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Why settle for crap. The only good headphones in that list is the shure srh840. M50 is hugely overrated.

Edit: it has come to the attention this post will garner attention. I own the m50s and they aren't very good to me. They are harsh and very fatiguing and they sound muffled.

Hmm....that is weird...My m50s are the most pristine, clear, amazing sounding phones I have heard....

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 18
You have to have a perfectly shaped head for the 840's. If you do, they are ludicrously comfortable, if not, it will feel like spikes driving into your skull. I'm lucky, my only complaint is my ears getting hot, which is an issue for almost all closed headphones.

Music wise, the 840's over the m50's anyday. They are clearer, more neutral (if thats your thing) and just a little bit better in every way, plus the m50's are showing their age these days.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:

Short bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back