Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review
Nov 17, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #76 of 178
I think its actually just as important to pick the right material for the tape mod.  Painters tape sounded nothing like the felt feet.  Plus w/ good power the bass is really quite nice.  

I'm beginning to suspect some update in model as well.  I know me and Shane hear the M50 pretty much the same.  I believe we both got the newer white-box editions.  I've been talking to Tdock some via PM and it seems he had the black box version and I know he diverged from my hearing of the M50 more than just about anybody I know.  Not certain but it seems like an increasing possiblity.   

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #77 of 178
I got my M50 early this year and it was white box. Not sure when the packaging changed.

Quote:
I think its actually just as important to pick the right material for the tape mod.  Painters tape sounded nothing like the felt feet.  Plus w/ good power the bass is really quite nice.  

I'm beginning to suspect some update in model as well.  I know me and Shane hear the M50 pretty much the same.  I believe we both got the newer white-box editions.  I've been talking to Tdock some via PM and it seems he had the black box version and I know he diverged from my hearing of the M50 more than just about anybody I know.  Not certain but it seems like an increasing possiblity.   

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #78 of 178
Hmmm... I'll have to check my packaging. I seem to remember it being white, but I'll check tonight when I get home.
No mod for me. They're just right... 
wink_face.gif

And I agree... 25-50 hours and you're golden.

shane

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #80 of 178

Quote:
I just got mine and have been using them for 30 minutes. It's definitely lacking bass right now. I bought these for the bass so hopefully they will open up after a couple days.

are you sure that you are wearing them properly, and that they are not fake? the m50 had an abundance of bass out of the box for me.

*edit* I take that back, just re-read my first part of the review. they should open up within a couple of hours

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #81 of 178

Quote:

Quote:
I just got mine and have been using them for 30 minutes. It's definitely lacking bass right now. I bought these for the bass so hopefully they will open up after a couple days.

are you sure that you are wearing them properly, and that they are not fake? the m50 had an abundance of bass out of the box for me.

LOL!

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #82 of 178
theres a straight coiled one and a coiled one. maybe theres a cabling restructure or something =/
also would you recommend these for me? i have ms1i right now and i'm deciding whether to ms1000i it or get m50. The m50 for traveling eg on a bus/ train/ outdoors. and ms1000i just because it sounds awesome

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #83 of 178

Quote:
theres a straight coiled one and a coiled one. maybe theres a cabling restructure or something =/
also would you recommend these for me? i have ms1i right now and i'm deciding whether to ms1000i it or get m50. The m50 for traveling eg on a bus/ train/ outdoors. and ms1000i just because it sounds awesome

how about you compromise? buy the M50 and ms1000i your ms1

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #85 of 178

Quote:
hi nullpointerexception!
As you find some problems with this headphones...
what headphones would you recommend for 100$?
:D

depends on what you are looking for, but I would probably suggest these. you are not going to get perfect headphones for $100, but these are pretty damn good for the price. In fact, these are arguably the best headphones in this price range. if you want close to perfect headphones, your going to need to spend a lot more than $100.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #86 of 178
I have had mine for 7 days and used them about 30 minutes. i was shocked at the lack of bass, your review was most helpful explaining why. thank you.
now i dont know if using them directly with my zune or wait to get home (in 1 week) and use urn them with the amp. i'll post my impressions later.

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #87 of 178

Quote:
I have had mine for 7 days and used them about 30 minutes. i was shocked at the lack of bass, your review was most helpful explaining why. thank you.
now i dont know if using them directly with my zune or wait to get home (in 1 week) and use urn them with the amp. i'll post my impressions later.

your zune should be just fine, gotta burn em in for a few hours and they will open up. I swear, out of the box they sounded crap, thought i threw away $110, 2 hours latter they blew my mind away.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #88 of 178
Yea i thought my M50s were worse than stock ibuds when i got them. All the bad qualities, sibilant, harsh, lifeless, hollowed out vocals applied to them without burn-in. Now i believe in burn in. But definitely not burning in of cables and such.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #89 of 178

Quote:
Yea i thought my M50s were worse than stock ibuds when i got them. All the bad qualities, sibilant, harsh, lifeless, hollowed out vocals applied to them without burn-in. Now i believe in burn in. But definitely not burning in of cables and such.

That takes the cake as one of the most exaggerated statements I've ever read on Head-Fi. Well done!
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #90 of 178

Quote:
Quote:

That takes the cake as one of the most exaggerated statements I've ever read on Head-Fi. Well done!
beerchug.gif

wow, what a feat, somebody get this guy a trophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back