Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review
Oct 21, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #63 of 178
Hi! I'd like some feedback on the durability of these headphones. I do know that they are mostly plastic built, however a lot of threads do say they have a somewhat rugged feeling.

I'd like to know from the experience of others how long they have been using their ATH-M50 s without any structural issues.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #64 of 178

Quote:
Hi! I'd like some feedback on the durability of these headphones. I do know that they are mostly plastic built, however a lot of threads do say they have a somewhat rugged feeling.

I'd like to know from the experience of others how long they have been using their ATH-M50 s without any structural issues.

first of all, the part of the head band that extends is metal, and the plastic is thick and hard. I have dropped them before, and i do just throw em in my backpack all the time. unless you use em as a football, they won't break.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #67 of 178

Quote:
Can you define imaging so I can attempt to answer your question, I have only ever had the vaguest idea of what that means.

Imaging = omgwtfbbq it sounds real? /the level of reality or rendering the sound to such an extent that it sounds as if the producer of the sound were existing around your present region. I said it's kind of a pointless question since most people here say you have to go to the $250+ range to get real-sounding vocal/instrumentation; high end. But relative to phones in its price range, how do the '50s measure? (Or relative to Bose....)

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #68 of 178

Quote:

Imaging = omgwtfbbq it sounds real? /the level of reality or rendering the sound to such an extent that it sounds as if the producer of the sound were existing around your present region. I said it's kind of a pointless question since most people here say you have to go to the $250+ range to get real-sounding vocal/instrumentation; high end. But relative to phones in its price range, how do the '50s measure? (Or relative to Bose....)

compared to Bose I am going to say they are good because Bose purposefully modifies the sound so that it the music sounds better, while these are monitoring headphones. But all in all, imaging isn't that great on these. I would go ahead and say that imaging would probably be better on any open backed headphone in the same price range because of the larger sound stage open back headphones provide.

although when i listen to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Live From the Middle East album, they sound pretty realistic -- but once again just by listening to that album I know it would sound more realistic with a bigger soundstage. maybe the sound stage would open up if you put cotton under the earpads so the drivers were farther away from the ears? this would also put something in front of the holes that base comes out of, so it might additionally simulate the balance mod.

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #69 of 178
Hi

I just tried these headphones today at a musicstore through some crappy amp they got and directly into my Iphone playing Mp3 320kbps files. I really enjoyed the sound and it fits great for my music taste. Only thing i noticed that i like more about my current pair HD595 was that the vocals were heald back juuuuust a little on the M50's. I don't know if the amp would be the effect of that or the kinda crappy 320kbps mp3 files on my Iphone?

Currently my set-up looks like this:

FLAC Music (played in Foobar2000) -> Asus Essence Xonar STX ->  Sennheiser HD595 (Probably Audio Techina ATH-M50 really soon)

Will my built amp on the Asus Essence Xonar give the headphones justice? And could it affect the vocals or anything?
Any kinda thoughts and tips are welcomed :)

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #70 of 178
I also have the STX. These work wonderfully with that card. Of course I think they work wonderfully with just my iPod. The general understanding is that with most good cans, the better the source files or equipment... the better the cans will sound. Usually. There are exceptions.

320k is usually good enough for most things. I go lossless, and if your FLAC files are made from the original .wav, you will be just fine... But that's just my preference and taste. Sometimes it depends on your music and how you like to listen to it.

The M50 will improve with break-in and the highs and bass will ease up slightly and so let the mids move forward just a bit. Vocals should improve with time. That has been my experience.

Best of luck.

shane

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #71 of 178
Thanks for the info :)

I will buy them tomorrow, start playing them right away and follow their improvments.
Should I turn all my music to 0 ReplayGain in Foobar2000 and use Normal Gain in Xonar STX?

AND

Say that i got this set-up

FLAC -> Foobar2000 -> Xonar STX -> Audio Technica ATH-M50

Could i improve the sound somehow? Programs, cables.. i dunno.

I'm a noob and sorry if i'm asking dumb questions but i don't know a crap when it comes to getting the full potential out of you headphones and soundcard so please give me a lesson or two :)

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #72 of 178
Well first... You may want to get more than just one opinion. 
rolleyes.gif

Second, I do not have Foobar2000 (I use JRiver Jukebox), so the whole ReplayGain thing is beyond me. But Normal gain on the STX seems to work for me. But that's a trial-and-error issue that is best tested with your own setup. See which one you prefer using.

I like JRiver Jukebox because it can play anything, rip, convert and output bit-perfect to the STX. It can also play 24bit/96k (or I believe 192k, but I don't use those) files, and go back and forth between various bit depth and sample rate without a hitch. I mostly like the interface. Again, download it, it's free. Use it if you prefer it. Though I haven't used Foobar2000, it too is highly recommended as well as MediaMonkey.

As this is a sound card and you're plugging your cans directly into it... I'm not sure why you need cables?

As for the M50, they usually improve after 25 hours or so of break-in. Medium-high listening level (off-head) of a variety of music is all that's necessary.

Good luck!

shane

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #73 of 178
I just got my pair of M50's and damn i love the bass and pretty much everything! This is exactly the sound i was looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

I will come back with a review in a couple of days! So far they kick my old Sennheiser HD595 phones right in the balls!

UPDATE

The bass and mids is starting to sound better and better and the sound smoother and more dynamic

UPDATE

On the most of the better mixed albums i have the bass is a bit to much for my taste. It's not to bad but! I checked out an easy mod where you set maskin tape over a few of the holes to push back the bass a bit and forth the mids and vocals. Getting the earpads off was super-easy so won't worry about breaking them. I'll be back with the results when i'm doing a review :)

One thing that i really enjoy is that listening band such as NOFX, Weezer and Green Day is finally fun and intense again :) Like it should be.. damn Sennheisers

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #75 of 178
With the tape mod they got too boomy. Just because you tape the holes, doesn't mean the bass goes away, it just turns into more resonance. Taping one or two might be a good compromise. 

Quote:
I just got my pair of M50's and damn i love the bass and pretty much everything! This is exactly the sound i was looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

I will come back with a review in a couple of days! So far they kick my old Sennheiser HD595 phones right in the balls!

UPDATE

The bass and mids is starting to sound better and better and the sound smoother and more dynamic

UPDATE

On the most of the better mixed albums i have the bass is a bit to much for my taste. It's not to bad but! I checked out an easy mod where you set maskin tape over a few of the holes to push back the bass a bit and forth the mids and vocals. Getting the earpads off was super-easy so won't worry about breaking them. I'll be back with the results when i'm doing a review :)

One thing that i really enjoy is that listening band such as NOFX, Weezer and Green Day is finally fun and intense again :) Like it should be.. damn Sennheisers

They only need 25-50 hours.

Quote:
How many hours does it take for it to completely break in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back