Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review
Sep 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #46 of 178

Quote:
which is better (overall). the m50 or hd448? thanks

The M50 are one of those headphones that has very good sound to price ratio.  The question you ask is too general, but I would have to guess the M50.  I never heard the hd448, but the M50 I own and they perform really well.  Just look around this forum and you will see that there are not many M50 dislike thread.  I can say they are one of the best in there price range and can compete with some of the other higher price headphones. Just a good solid headphone that works with almost any genre if you can't afford anything more than $100ish.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #47 of 178
It baffles me that almost everyone says the M50s have a warm midrange. To me they almost sound thin and "missing something" in the vocals. Being used to the HD650s would definitely affect my verdict though.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #48 of 178
Yup. That is a completely unfair comparison.

Quote:
It baffles me that almost every says the M50s have a warm midrange. To me they almost sound thin and "missing something" in the vocals. Being used the HD650s would definitely affect my verdict though.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #49 of 178

Quote:
It baffles me that almost every says the M50s have a warm midrange. To me they almost sound thin and "missing something" in the vocals. Being used the HD650s would definitely affect my verdict though.

I agree with you. The vocal quality is good, but not great. This is the main reason I sold them and they had too much bass for my preferences. I think someone who is looking for the absolute best vocals and puts this as their #1 priority, they may be disappointed. Again, they're good headphones, especially for $100 or even $130.

I like the M50, but I feel as if some people are afraid to say anything bad about them. They're not perfect, few headphones are.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #50 of 178

Quote:
It baffles me that almost everyone says the M50s have a warm midrange. To me they almost sound thin and "missing something" in the vocals. Being used to the HD650s would definitely affect my verdict though.

No headphone is perfect but cool and thin mids and vocals?  I'm glad I have the synergy I do because its one of the richest, fullest phones I have behind the T50rp.  My HD555 is burning in atm but I didn't notice any sonority advantage over the M50.  The only issue I have is the slight upper mid dip that affects the timbre in that region.  I hope you are not equating warmth with sonority.  How anyone can say the M50 vocals are thin and like the DJ100 is beyond me.  Those were the most muffled, cardboard sounding mids I've heard yet on a headphone.  Granted we didn't hear much of anything the same so YMMV.  Tdock, I notice you have your TF10 over all your headphones, yet many feel the TF10 is the IEM version of the M50?  Interesting.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #51 of 178
 I know you love the M50 and that is OK, but remember, this is just my opinion. You seem to think your comments on the M50 are facts. The DJ 100 has some of the best mids i've heard. Similar to my modded Grado SR-80 and HD-600. I've mentioned this before, but if you are not noticing the forwards mids and bass (not "a lot of bass", you got me there) then it's not being properly driven or something is wrong. I've mentioned this several times, but YOU NEED A GOOD AMP to get good sound from the DJ 100. Sorry if you don't like this. This way you're hearing them exactly how they're supposed to sound. Maybe try another source too. I don't care if you don't like them, but at least be fair about it before bashing it. You didn't even give them a fair chance at all. It's like someone on Amazon reviewing a 300 ohm headphone without an amp and giving it a 1/4 because it didn't sound good from their $20 Coby mp3 player. I refuse to review or comment on a headphone without amping them when required and you should do the same.

It's getting pretty old how you keep bringing up the fact that I like my DJ 100 and you don't. Does it really bother you that much? You don't like them, so move on already or use a good amp with them and report back. I would love to say it's my opinion, but I think it's a fact the mids on them are VERY forward. Nowhere near being recessed or distant. Maybe the sound quality varies between pairs. You know how they say how with a Grado, you're like one row from stage with the sound and with a Sennheiser you're a few rows back? Yes, it's cheesy, but with the DJ 100 it's like I'm on stage. Vocals and instruments are more forward then even my SR-80, which is pretty impressive. With my Triple Fi the sound is similar, despite what you may have heard.

It's OK you don't agree that vocals on the M50 can be thin. That's not as awful as it sounds. The vocals on the AKG 701 sound a bit that way too for me. It's pretty well known and a lot of people agree that the M50's vocals can be thin and slightly recessed at times. It's not the end of the world and that doesn't mean they're bad.

The Triple Fi 10 does sound a bit like the M50 in many ways. It doesn't have as much bass, but seems a bit more accurate and not as boomy. I use the Comply foam, so this could change it's sound signature a lot. With my Comply foam I find it fairly neutral. It has nowhere near a "V" signature. I know you probably want to avoid a headphone I might like, but I still think you should try them. For me, they fix a lot of the issues I had with the M50. The Comply foam maybe tames the highs a bit, but I almost felt like they were sort of rolled off like on the M50 and Hd-600. Could just have been due to the foam. I know what recessed mids sound like and I never experienced them with the Triple Fi 10 at all. I guess I got a good pair and i'm lucky. Even if they had recessed mids slightly I just know that if they did they're still OK with me. Just haven't experienced this yet.

I do like the sound signature. I listen to probably 60% female singers, so vocals are pretty important. That seems to be a lot of what I focus on. The M50s sound signature is very, very close to what I like. I just wanted more forward mids and less bass. That's all or I would have kept them.

BTW I asked you this before, but do you like the SR-80? Modded it's pretty amazing and has a lot of bass. No, I really mean that. SR-80 mids sound like those of the DJ 100, so if you like the SR-80 i'd be confused how you hate the mids on the DJ 100 so much. Like I said before, if you're mids on the DJ 100 didn't sound like those on the SR-80, something was seriously wrong.

Have you tried comparing the D2000 to the M50? They may sound similar, but i'm not sure yet.

Wow, wall of text. Oops.

BTW don't check into the Maxell DHP-II. It sounds like the DJ 100 a lot, so you may not like that also. Interesting you got the 555. They're not bad and are comfortable. That was my first good pair of headphones years ago.

How anyone can say the M50 vocals are thin and like the DJ100 is beyond me.  Those were the most muffled, cardboard sounding mids I've heard yet on a headphone.  Granted we didn't hear much of anything the same so YMMV.  Tdock, I notice you have your TF10 over all your headphones, yet many feel the TF10 is the IEM version of the M50?  Interesting.

Oct 1, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #52 of 178

Quote:
 I know you love the M50 and that is OK, but remember, this is just my opinion. You seem to think your comments on the M50 are facts. The DJ 100 has some of the best mids i've heard.

Not true.  You just read it that way.  I am also not the only one that heard the DJ's the same way if you recall, there were a few others as well.  I have every right to say when I hear something different from someone else.  Wouldn't you agree?

I've mentioned this several times, but YOU NEED A GOOD AMP to get good sound from the DJ 100. Sorry if you don't like this. This way you're hearing them exactly how they're supposed to sound. Maybe try another source too. I don't care if you don't like them, but at least be fair about it before bashing it.

I've often said synergy is important.  My sources and amp are fine as far as driving phones.  If you think anyone is going to replace their amps and sources to 'drive' those uber $65-$80 DJ100s you've lost it.   

You didn't even give them a fair chance at all.

Oh really?  That's why I listened to them for week, even working on pads swaps?  Until the person who had the same amp as you told me not to waste my time.  I remember posting all these positive aspects about the DJ100's and from your reading you basically labeled me a hater.  OK, whatever.

It's like someone on Amazon reviewing a 300 ohm headphone without an amp and giving it a 1/4 because it didn't sound good from their $20 Coby mp3 player. I refuse to review or comment on a headphone without amping them when required and you should do the same.

Everything I listen to IS amped, so stop continuously making stuff up about what I say and write.  Am I using a Coby player?  Uh huh.

It's getting pretty old how you keep bringing up the fact that I like my DJ 100 and you don't. Does it really bother you that much? You don't like them, so move on already or use a good amp with them and report back.

No, what does bothers me was spending the whole night comparing notes w/ you about discrepancies when you were listening to your DJ100s and M50s w/ EQ and iTunes Bassboost on!!  That bothers me.  When we compare notes to inform people about phones we listen FLAT, or should.  Saying the DJ100 has this awesome bass impact and attacking other people's gear when you are using iTunes Bassboost!  Come on man.

I would love to say it's my opinion, but I think it's a fact the mids on them are VERY forward. Nowhere near being recessed or distant.With my Triple Fi the sound is similar, despite what you may have heard.

So now your opinion is a fact but my opinion isn't.  Okay, lets run w/ that.  So hear lies one issue.  When people say forward or recessed, the reference is toward frequency response not imaging and soundstage.  By discussing row seating you are referring to Imaging.  Like vocals being more intimate and up-front.  So there is a semantics issue there.

It's OK you don't agree that vocals on the M50 can be thin. That's not as awful as it sounds. The vocals on the AKG 701 sound a bit that way too for me. It's pretty well known and a lot of people agree that the M50's vocals can be thin and slightly recessed at times. It's not the end of the world and that doesn't mean they're bad.

Once again semantics.  Maybe what you guys are calling thin I would refer to as detail.  Fullness and thinness relates to sonority and the body of a note, not its detail retrieval.  Maybe you need a better source and amp.  Right?  
wink.gif

The Triple Fi 10 does sound a bit like the M50 in many ways. It doesn't have as much bass, but seems a bit more accurate and not as boomy. I use the Comply foam, so this could change it's sound signature a lot. With my Comply foam I find it fairly neutral. It has nowhere near a "V" signature. I know you probably want to avoid a headphone I might like, but I still think you should try them. For me, they fix a lot of the issues I had with the M50. The Comply foam maybe tames the highs a bit, but I almost felt like they were sort of rolled off like on the M50 and Hd-600. Could just have been due to the foam. I know what recessed mids sound like and I never experienced them with the Triple Fi 10 at all. I guess I got a good pair and i'm lucky. Even if they had recessed mids slightly I just know that if they did they're still OK with me. Just haven't experienced this yet.

So you think TF10s aren't recessed, although your definition is obviously different, but many do.  I think the problem is you and I are speaking different languages and using different methodologies.  It's obvious it probably makes little sense for us to compare notes so we should probably just leave it be.  We aren't the first two on Head-fi to not hear things the same way.  

BTW I asked you this before, but do you like the SR-80? Modded it's pretty amazing and has a lot of bass. No, I really mean that. SR-80 mids sound like those of the DJ 100, so if you like the SR-80 i'd be confused how you hate the mids on the DJ 100 so much. Like I said before, if you're mids on the DJ 100 didn't sound like those on the SR-80, something was seriously wrong.

I'm pretty sure I replied I've only heard the SR60, MS1i, 225i, RS1.  I was really not a fan of the drivers below the 225i, they sounded a bit grainy and rough around the edges to me.  I don't do grain, I don't do thin.  Like I said, the DJ100s were the most muffled and artificial mids I've heard in a headphone.  Sounded nothing like any Grado mids I have put on my ears.  Two others said similar things as did you when you changed your sources if you recall.  You have great synergy with your unique setup, you have a good pair and we got bad ones, that's fine.  At the end of the day you are free to share your listening of a headphone as am I.  People need to hear all sides right?

Have you tried comparing the D2000 to the M50? They may sound similar, but i'm not sure yet.

Not really, I'm planning on skipping most of the mid/mid-upper-fi which basically includes all the Denons.  My next two targets are the LCD2 and JH3A or ES5 then call it a day, hopefully....

BTW don't check into the Maxell DHP-II. It sounds like the DJ 100 a lot, so you may not like that also. Interesting you got the 555. They're not bad and are comfortable. That was my first good pair of headphones years ago.

Don't worry, I'm basically done w/ beaters and toys.  The 555s freak me out everytime I put them on.  I think they are going to snap.  I only got the Senns because I haven't heard a Senn I liked in 15-20 years.  These were cheap enough to try out.  I'm going to continue posting my impressions when they diverge from or substantiate someone else's as I expect you will.  
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #54 of 178

Quote:
Not true.  You just read it that way.  I am also not the only one that heard the DJ's the same way if you recall, there were a few others as well.  I have every right to say when I hear something different from someone else.  Wouldn't you agree?

I'm going to go quick with this reply. I don't think it's worth it for either of us to spend too much time with replies. It usually just ends up going nowhere. The only problem I had is this other person just assumed that his amp wouldn't change the sound much and it was wrong of him to assume this, so no comparisons were done. I just think some headphones are not worth passing off  without an amp at least being tried. I know you took a week. I'm actually seeking out other portables because of the DJ 100 not being good for portable use. Mine actually died due to me taking them apart too much. I'm going to buy another pair and I know you're thrilled to hear that.
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
I remember posting all these positive aspects about the DJ100's and from your reading you basically labeled me a hater.  OK, whatever.

I would never do that and sorry if it came across that way. It just bugs me so much when someone criticizes (not in a positive way) a perfectly good pair of headphones without a proper amp. No, I don't expect anyone to go out and buy new gear. I've never bashed a headphone or said it was garbage. Last thing I'd do. I'm not into starting flame threads. Luckily I haven't seen one here yet. I'm glad ours haven't! Arguing about headphones is kind of ridiculous if you think about it. Not that we're doing that, but close.

Quote:
Everything I listen to IS amped, so stop continuously making stuff up about what I say and write.  Am I using a Coby player?  Uh huh.

Well, my point was that the E5 wasn't really good for a good match for the DJ 100. Even my terrible NuForce Mobile isn't any good for it. What, You don't like Coby?
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
No, what does bothers me was spending the whole night comparing notes w/ you about discrepancies when you were listening to your DJ100s and M50s w/ EQ and iTunes Bassboost on!!  That bothers me.  When we compare notes to inform people about phones we listen FLAT, or should.  Saying the DJ100 has this awesome bass impact and attacking other people's gear when you are using iTunes Bassboost!  Come on man.

What!!! I never did this and never use that garbage setting. My rule is always OFF or FLAT. Usually off. I absolutely hate that setting! I'm not sure where you get that from! I only meant to say  that they didn't have as much bass as I had originally thought. That certainly doesn't mean I used an Ipod EQ setting. I have used it before..about once. I mentioned this in another thread and maybe that is where you got it from. In another thread I said that the Bass Boost in Itunes can sound decent with the Pro DJ 100. Doesn't mean I actually use it. I think the amount of bass is fine, but i'd like maybe 5% more.

Attacking other people's gear? Me? Are you serious? If suggesting a different amp is an attack, well then nothing I can do about that. I hate it when people are overly critical of a person's favorite headphone. I'm ok with opinion, but personally attacking them and saying a headphone they use is garbage is a bit overkill. No, I'm not talking about you here and you never did this to me.

Sennheiser 555 isn't bad, but for me they were a bit boring at times. I was never a huge fan of them, but I do like them somewhat. HD-600 are what I prefer and I just wish they were easier to drive.

Someday there will be positive reviews of the Pro DJ 100. Just wait! I know i'm not the only one who likes them. They're out there somewhere. If I am, I'm OK with that.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #55 of 178
Wow guys this is like fighting in the mall...urm maybe you guys should take this into a PM.
wink_face.gif

I woudn't necessary say the M50 sound thin, but recessed.  Maybe you guys don't like the warm sound signature it has and yes it's not perfect, but in the US price range it does come in a big package and never the less a good heaphone.  I say people don't really say anything negative about it because it does well for what you are paying and of course it doesn't and cannot compete with the higher price headphones.  That would be unreasonable to compare them. Plus usually people say negative things about a headphone when they are not satisfy with a headphone or if the problem is a big enough issue, not a minor issue.    Well, at least that is what I think.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #57 of 178

Quote:
I updated my review since it suddenly got so many replies. Enjoy.

Three things I have to ask because I experienced these issues myself.

One, are you using 2.30 on the Sflo2?  If not thats most of your muddy bass.

Two, have you tried setting the EQ to user and everything to '0' then plugging the M50 into the LO.

Three, if the first two fail, have you tried the 'balance' mod?

An amp would help control things a bit as well.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #58 of 178

Quote:
Three things I have to ask because I experienced these issues myself.

Two, have you tried setting the EQ to user and everything to '0' then plugging the M50 into the LO.

Three, if the first two fail, have you tried the 'balance' mod?

An amp would help control things a bit as well.

I am not using 2.3, im using 2.2 so i'll upgrade soon and then get back to you on that. I have tried the balance mod and that helped a bit, but it felt like something was missing so i removed it. i have tried EQ to user out of HO, i simply thought normal sounded better. out of LO everything is too loud to tell and i don't have an amp at college so i can't fix that (although from what i was able to discern it did sound much better. I never really described the bass as being muddy though, just a lot of it to the point that, with the slightly (yet noticably) recessed mids, it sort of is over kill.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #59 of 178

Quote:

- sound stage: Think of that crazy fan girl at any concert standing directly in front of the stage yelling her head off and failing in her desperate attempts to touch the singers leg, subsequently making the nearby audience almost feel bad (by that I mean laugh inside) at how pathetic she is acting. Anyway the point is you basically hear the music from the same sonic standpoint that she does, from a meter or two away.

A meter or two is still not close enough to touch someone's leg. Unless you have really long arms. Can you make a comparison with live playing?  As in 'sounds like the singer is singing x distance in x direction of/from you" Also - semi-pointless question - how is the imaging?

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #60 of 178

Quote:

omg upgrading made such a difference thank you.

Quote:
A meter or two is still not close enough to touch someone's leg. Unless you have really long arms. Can you make a comparison with live playing?  As in 'sounds like the singer is singing x distance in x direction of/from you" Also - semi-pointless question - how is the imaging?

notice I said "fails in her deperate attempts in touching," with an emphasis on tries. for some reason I want to say singing x 2 meters x in front of and slightly to the right. Can you define imaging so I can attempt to answer your question, I have only ever had the vaguest idea of what that means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back