Audio Technica ATH-M50 Review
Dec 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, M50 doesn't have warm sounding, but sweeeeet as audio-technica usual sound.
biggrin.gif

They have warm sound and a nice low mid...
I test them with the GML9500, very sweet.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #19 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullPointerException /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got these today so ill do a quick recap of what ive see so far.

Burn in Factor: these headsphones require burn in, alot of burn in, i suggest hooking it up to an amp and eqing it for the most bass you could possibly get, you can feel bone conduction in your jaw and skull if you do this and it feels like the drivers loosen up quicker.

Straight out of the box: I thought i wasted 110 dollars

5 minuets later: i heard a HUGE improvment.

30 minuets playing time: started to feel like i was getting my moneys worth, a little lacking in the bass

1 hour playing time: bass starts to show, sound quality increases

2 hours playing time: bass comes in nice and full, further increases in sound quality

3 hours: enough bass for you john.

it is safe to say that it is still burning in and SQ will continue to increase for a few more hours.

sound quality: good highs, violins come in nice and clear. treble is great. mids are very good, brass and saxophones really sing in these. they are, however, slightly scooped when compared to bass and the highs, but this is barely noticeable, you have to be listening closely to discern this. lower mids are very good, guitar comes in nice and clear dont notice and scooping at all. there is a lot of bass and it packs a bit of a punch. it is very smooth and it seams to go with the flow and the most important factor is that it is not muddy at all, it is very clean (sorry john, i know you like your bass skull candy style, very muddy). These are great for drummers who want to do any recording, percussion is awesome. couldn't hear any sibilance, but my ears are untrained so i wouldn't take my word for it

sound stage: I am going to have to go with center stage, about 5 rows back.

sound signature: after they burn in, the m50's are very warm sounding phones.

comfort: it clamps a lot, but if you put them on a square tissue box for a while they loosen up and become very comfortable. i could wear these for several hours at a time. since they are closed, they can get warm.

sound isolation: O.K. with the music off it blocks a bit, but not much, when you turn it on it blocks out most outside noise (my mother yelling at me is an exception).

sound leakage: very little and only at loud volumes. no one is going to notice unless they are on top of you

size: these are huge, much bigger then they look in the pictures

portability: not much of a problem given that it comes wit ha carrying case

style: great aesthetics. I wouldn't mind being caught wearing these in public at all. very nice design.

driving it / amp. these phones are very easy to drive, no amp is required although one will help sound quality. i drove these with my second generation ipod nano unamped without any problems.

this is the end of my review, if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Excellent I can't wait for mine to arrive.

These burn in quite fast I must admit.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 178
Ow BTW buddy can you tell me if they can run properly on a Asus Xonar DX?

Also click these 2 songs and tell me how they sound. salt Shaker is most important!!!!
Thats the first one its for ultra bass.

The second is for more of a melodious listening. I do not listen to anything slow unless its Shakira. Not even Celine Dion I listen to.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered mine today from headroom. you said they're huge, are they bigger than the everglide s-500 because I have a pair of those and they are absolutely monstrous.

i dont think they are that big

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ow BTW buddy can you tell me if they can run properly on a Asus Xonar DX?
Also click these 2 songs and tell me how they sound.

sounds good with both songs. if it works on my punney 2g nano, it'll work on the asus.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 178
I personally thought they needed much more burn-in than that, like 200 hours
I heard a friend's right when he got them and felt sad because I reccommended them for him, then 2 months later I tried them and thought they were one of the best deals out there on music production headphones.
I like the ES7 better for casual listening though.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #24 of 178
It's true. When I first put them on right out of the box, they sounded pretty bad. The Treble was especially bad. WAAAAY sparkly. After about 30 minutes, they became an instant worthy purchase. The treble evened out, the bass was thumping, and the clarity was excellent. After many hours of burn in, these are FABULOUS. I left them playing for over 50 hours, and I'm loving them for just about everything.

They are not huge AT ALL. You want huge? AD700s.

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 178
Thx for review! What HPs do you know well (or have you compared to)?

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #26 of 178
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true. When I first put them on right out of the box, they sounded pretty bad. The Treble was especially bad. WAAAAY sparkly. After about 30 minutes, they became an instant worthy purchase. The treble evened out, the bass was thumping, and the clarity was excellent.

i have to agree, i just got mine about 5 days ago, and everyday they have gotten better and better.

i've also started using a PA2V2 amp with them, and it does make them sound a tiny bit better. makes everything sound a little cleaner and snappier..

i cant wait to get these fully burned in and see what they really sound like

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #27 of 178
The M50 is one of those cans where you take a "headphone vacation" for a while. When you come back to them you're like...."oh ya, now I remember why I liked these so much!!" Just recently put mine back on after about a 2 month "vacation" and have been getting happily reacquainted with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back