Audio Technica ATH M50 (Portable Use)
Nov 27, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #17 of 31

you are most likely right, I have big ears and unattach earlobe...My ear lob sticks out with the M50
blink.gif

Quote:
esw9 can only be worn over ears if you have an attached earlobe. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
I recently purchased a Zune HD which I'm receiving tomorrow :) and I was doing some research into some entry level audiophile headphones. I came across the Audio Technica ATH M50s and the reviews are phenomenal across the board from what I have read. I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH AD700 for music and gaming and I love them. My question is... Would you class the M50s as portable ready headphones? I'm not referring to the fact that they collapse but more along the lines of their size. I don't want to wear headphones outside that are definitely not portable looking. Feedback is appreciated. thanks :)

(Feel free to give suggestions on other headphone Zune HD friendly around the $100 price range)

No matter what they say M50 is NOT a portable heaphone. Geeesh! Is like saying an ipad is pocket size. 
Around $100 you can go AKG 420 (Love them), Grados (60i's) or koss portapros. I like 420's more than 60i's. less shrill.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #19 of 31

Quote:

Quote:
I recently purchased a Zune HD which I'm receiving tomorrow :) and I was doing some research into some entry level audiophile headphones. I came across the Audio Technica ATH M50s and the reviews are phenomenal across the board from what I have read. I'm currently using the Audio Technica ATH AD700 for music and gaming and I love them. My question is... Would you class the M50s as portable ready headphones? I'm not referring to the fact that they collapse but more along the lines of their size. I don't want to wear headphones outside that are definitely not portable looking. Feedback is appreciated. thanks :)

(Feel free to give suggestions on other headphone Zune HD friendly around the $100 price range)

No matter what they say M50 is NOT a portable heaphone. Geeesh! Is like saying an ipad is pocket size. 
Around $100 you can go AKG 420 (Love them), Grados (60i's) or koss portapros. I like 420's more than 60i's. less shrill.

You suggest OPEN headphones for portable use? That's absurd, using open cans on the go you will quickly realize it sucks. If there is any outside noise the portapros and grados will leak like crazy really disrupting your musical experience. A larger headphone being portable is relative to the person choosing to use them, and flat out saying they are not portable is wrong as i have already proven you wrong using them daily on the go.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #20 of 31

+1 on this.  Caesar56, Can you care to share why or what is the reason the M50 does fold inward and come with a pouch?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You suggest OPEN headphones for portable use? That's absurd, using open cans on the go you will quickly realize it sucks. If there is any outside noise the portapros and grados will leak like crazy really disrupting your musical experience. A larger headphone being portable is relative to the person choosing to use them, and flat out saying they are not portable is wrong as i have already proven you wrong using them daily on the go.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #21 of 31
Something you might like to know is that the M50s are a very revealing headphone, so if your source files are low quality then it'll sound bad, period. Also, out of my iPod Classic, my Portapros sound better than my M50s (because the Portapros aren't as revealing.) I've never tried a Zune so I can't comment on quality, but if you're listening from a portable player exclusively, I'd probably spring for a different pair.

That said, if you plan on listening to both a player and another source (even from a default sound card,) then by all means go for them.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you know what your talking about.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:
+1 on this.  Caesar56, Can you care to share why or what is the reason the M50 does fold inward and come with a pouch?

Well, M50's are meant for portable use but not for the "On-going" i think you know what i mean. Sure you can carry them around, but in your head?
Also theres the leather sweating pads.

I pretty much figured out grados 60i's are too big too.
Portapros and AKG K420 are semi open but are headphones meant for portable use. 
If M50's look and feel portable to you guys then its ok.
This reality only applies to me after all.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 31
OP, if you're really concerned about portability, another thing to keep in mind is the cord. Make sure you get the M50 with the coiled cord, not the straight cord. The straight cord is really long and stiff and is a pain in the ass to carry around.

As far as size, I've had no issue with them. They don't feel heavy for me, and they're still a bit smaller than my SRH840s, which seem massive compared to them.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 31
M50s are great because they don't need an amp. For some (most I think) comfort is great. I definitely love the comfort.
As far as size-it's a full size headphone your going to look stupid regardless. But if you have some sense of self-enjoyment or I-do-what-I-want attitude you won't care. Plus I think they look good anyway. I wear them at my races, and around my neck, and I look fine.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #26 of 31
just like many others said they don't need an amp.  however they look pretty funny when they are on just because of how the headband attaches to the cup.  however, if you don't care then go ahead and wear them. i do. if the long cable bothers you you can just tie it in a circle. they're not heavy, and they isolate noise well.
pros
- isolate noise
-don't need an amp
-comfy

cons
-you can look a bit dumb
-pads may get sweaty, if it is really warm
-other people will be jealous

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 31
For me, the M50 work for portable use. It is however not my phone of choice when going outside. I've got the coiled cord version, and the cord is quite heavy. Also, if you are walking around in a city environment and want to shut all outside noises out, you might get exposed to dangers. I prefer open headphones outside which gives me some warning. At least in the Tokyo area, you need to pay attention since there are people everywhere - walking, running, on bikes and in cars.

Usually I prefer earbuds or smaller portable headphones/clip-on earphones such as Pioneer SE-EX9, Sennheiser PX100, AKG K420 or ATH ES7. There is also stuff such as HD25 or TMA-1 (although these cannot be folded like the M50 can).

I never expect to have a perfectly undisturbed musical experience when I am outside my house, so I do not see isolation as an issue. So for me, the M50 work best at home.

If the size is no problem with the OP, why not just go ahead and get the M50? They work well for portable listening and great for listening at home.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
For me, the M50 work for portable use. It is however not my phone of choice when going outside. I've got the coiled cord version, and the cord is quite heavy. Also, if you are walking around in a city environment and want to shut all outside noises out, you might get exposed to dangers. I prefer open headphones outside which gives me some warning. At least in the Tokyo area, you need to pay attention since there are people everywhere - walking, running, on bikes and in cars.

Usually I prefer earbuds or smaller portable headphones/clip-on earphones such as Pioneer SE-EX9, Sennheiser PX100, AKG K420 or ATH ES7. There is also stuff such as HD25 or TMA-1 (although these cannot be folded like the M50 can).

I never expect to have a perfectly undisturbed musical experience when I am outside my house, so I do not see isolation as an issue. So for me, the M50 work best at home.

If the size is no problem with the OP, why not just go ahead and get the M50? They work well for portable listening and great for listening at home.

This.

May 24, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #29 of 31
It's funny, I just got the M50's and intend to use them on my daily commute (train) to work. I also have Hippo VB's, they sound very good but I find myself constantly repositioning them in my ears as the cord is a bit too heavy and tends to pull them down.

Should I stick to my VB's? I'm a tall guy and I have a rather big head, would I really look silly with the M50's?

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #30 of 31
i'm actually too looking for a portable headphone, now considering between dt 1350 and senn hd 25. i had a thought to use ath 50 as a my portable device, as i  always carry a messenger bang where ever i go, so i can store them in easily, but i also worry about people keep looking at me. i want a portable because these are the place where i always be: library, commuter, airplane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back