Audio-Technica ATH-M50, good buy? Recommend some if you can find better ones.
Nov 15, 2010 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OnePostMan

New Head-Fier
I'm getting tired of these little crappy in-ear headphones breaking every 2 months, so I'm getting some over-the-ears. I was going to get Beats By Dre Studios, but, after reading some user-reviews, they seem to have a problem concernicg durability, and that's definitely not something I want to be a problem again.

These are the best headphones that I've found so far as far as look, quality, comfort, and price are concerned.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

$115

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Lots of people, who are far more expert than I, rave about them, they likely a very good choice.

If you are looking for a flat frequency response though you might also try taking a listen to Denon AH-D2000s too but they are about twice as much and not as isolating.

I hope this helps some.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Actually the best you can get in the $100 price range is the Fostex t50rp.  Unfortunately they only come with a 1/4" jack, and require a little bit of (EASY) DIY to get them sounding like a much more expensive can.  

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Actually the best you can get in the $100 price range is the Fostex t50rp.  Unfortunately they only come with a 1/4" jack, and require a little bit of (EASY) DIY to get them sounding like a much more expensive can.  

There is no "Best", on such a subjective matter. You are basically saying it's an objective( fact) rather then an a Subjective( opinion) that it is. And yes I will beat this point into you audiophiles fanboys, cause claiming "Best" is the worst way to recommend headphones to people.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 11
Sorry professor I didn't mean to offend you.  Anyways, you will be hard pressed to find a can under $100 that is better than the modded t50rp's.  I'd go so far as to say it's impossible.  Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink.  So you don't need to get all English teacher on me for expressing mine.  

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 11
I don't think Vulgar ever suggested his recommendation was "fact." Any thread with "$100" or "$150" gets flooded with M50 recommendations. I would have thought that his recommendation for "best" would also be his "opinion" for best. No?

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Sorry professor I didn't mean to offend you.  Anyways, you will be hard pressed to find a can under $100 that is better than the modded t50rp's.  I'd go so far as to say it's impossible.  Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink.  So you don't need to get all English teacher on me for expressing mine.  

While those are very good, I'd still say there is no "Best" cause "Best" means alot of things to alot of people. This is why we can't assert the Opinion as fact and just blindly recommend to people who don't know any better.

Quote:
I don't think Vulgar ever suggested his recommendation was "fact." Any thread with "$100" or "$150" gets flooded with M50 recommendations. I would have thought that his recommendation for "best" would also be his "opinion" for best. No?

Quote:
Actually the best you can get in the $100 price range is the Fostex t50rp.

That sentence offers his opinion( which is shared by others) as a fact to someone who won't understand why.  You can't assume others opinions on the "Best" are the same as your own.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Heh, heh... I always figure that unless you're discussing cold, hard measurements... you're talking opinions based on observations, based on perceptions and sensory abilities... mixed with tastes and experiences.

That said, just get the M50 (they're the best!! 
wink_face.gif
 ). No mod necessary, though some do a minor one to the pads. They have relative neutrality, but lean towards the warm side. They have punchy bass and crystal clear highs. Very good isolation... and they fold into a somewhat portable sack. JMHO... or course.
beyersmile.png

Cheers

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back