audio technica ath m50: coiled or straight cable?
Apr 19, 2010 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

doctor j.c

New Head-Fier
hi again!
i just read millions of reviews and opinions about these and found them to buy.
Just one last question, what kind of cable should i use?
i'm gonna use it for home listening sessions, i'm not a dj neither a producer.
what cable gets longer?

thanks a lot.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 14
That question has been answered several times on these forums as well:

Coiled: better if you want to take it outside, it's more portable
Straight: easier inside cause you have more room to walk around

but then again, some don't need the extra cable inside. So it really depends what you plan on doing with it, and you can of course always fold up the straight version as well
wink.gif

I've got the coiled cable with an extension from heels-6, that's an other option

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctor j.c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks man, i'm coppin the straight version

Yeah, that's what I did, but only 'cause it was a better deal ($), especially with free ship from Amazon.
L3000.gif

shane

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 14
yo! i'm gettin my headphones tomorrow! i'm so pumped...i hope they blow me away cuz if not i'm gonna murder all of you for recommending me the ath m50!! xD

i finally picked the straight version cuz the cable is larger and i'm only using them at home (of course).
never had a pair of good ass headphones, i'm putting together some dope music to test them: a tribe called quest, the pharcyde, jdilla-madlib-ryan leslie-neptunes ****, clipse, kanye west, arctic monkeys,radiohead, flying lotus, justice,ratatat, gnarls barkley....

so i'll let u know...

Apr 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Straight cables are better IMO. Coiled cable are great if you dont have to stretch them, but the moment you start stretching them there is a force imbalance via the tension in the cable which is very annoying.

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 14
i'm loving them! these are the perfect headphones for me, the bass is just perfect and punchy, not annoying like the rest of good ass bassy headphones.
i'm gettiing some details never heard before in some songs..

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

i'm loving them! these are the perfect headphones for me, the bass is just perfect and punchy, not annoying like the rest of good ass bassy headphones.

So you wont be murdering us? goodie. glad that phone is keeping your anger in check.
atsmile.gif
Let me put on my kevlar before I recommend a DAC
atsmile.gif

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Hi, sorry for bumping an old topic, but I didn't want to start a new one.  I'm deciding between coiled and straight also, and I wanted to know what the length of the coiled is when it's stretched vs when it's unstretched.  Any help would be appreciated!  (new user by the way 
smile.gif
)

Ha wow.  I searched for about an hour before posting this, then I checked one more site and found it. 3.9' - 9.8', and the straights are 11' in case anyone else was wondering.  

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 14
ENJOY YOUR NEW CANS! :)

Quote:
Quote:

So you wont be murdering us? goodie. glad that phone is keeping your anger in check.
atsmile.gif
Let me put on my kevlar before I recommend a DAC
atsmile.gif

LOL.

Quote:
Hi, sorry for bumping an old topic, but I didn't want to start a new one.  I'm deciding between coiled and straight also, and I wanted to know what the length of the coiled is when it's stretched vs when it's unstretched.  Any help would be appreciated!  (new user by the way 
smile.gif
)

Ha wow.  I searched for about an hour before posting this, then I checked one more site and found it. 3.9' - 9.8', and the straights are 11' in case anyone else was wondering.  

Good job!

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 14
I know its a minor difference but the frequency response has a slight variation between the two cables if anyone is nit picking.

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Typically a coil cord stretches 5 times its unstretched length.  So a 1 foot unstretched coil cord would stretch out to 5 feet.  Keep in mind a coil cord is a spring and it will pull back.  At full extension it might pull the headphones off your head.

www.meridiancable.com

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
smile.gif
)

what measurement units are these in as i'm in the same dilemma as you were before

edit: nvm, i think is 'feet'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back