Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 " The Legendary Leatherhead "
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 187

protoss

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello audiophile enthusiasts, today, we have one of the most beautiful headphone that was ever created.

2003, Audio Technica created a limited production model of 500 units with the help of Connolly UK leather company to create a statement product.
The design consist of exquisite materials. The earpads are made out of Luxury lambskin from Italy.
The housing shell is made out of Asada Sakura wood only found in Japan.
And finally the leather, which is used on the entire surface of the item, consist of semi-aniline leather made by British Connolly.

The headphone that I am talking about is the legendary Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 'aka' 'Leatherhead'

Main specifications:
Released Date: November 21, 2003
Unit Manufactured: 500 units
Generation: 8th
Driver: 53mm, super high-class OFC - 8 N bobbin rolled voice coil
Sensitivity: 104db
Frequency: 5 to 45,000 Hz
Mass: 380g
Impedance: 48u
Overhead: sealed type (closed)
Drive method: Dynamic type reproduction
Weight: 380g
Released date Price tag: $2,500.00
Current status: Discontinue

00.jpg

0.jpg

001.jpg

The brown leather ear cups, leather headbands, leather ear wings. With its soft leather black pads.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Beautifully Stitch and crafted.

Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 Sound: They are warm and musical, the bad recording makes them sound bright. The headphone has recess mids, with a bump on top to make female vocal shines. Very strong mid-bass to upper bass. This is an indication of why people consider these Bass-king. Sound-stage is small, not much depth, image is great. Very intimate and somewhat narrow. These headphones are not analytical almost the opposite. They have a deep accurate resolution but are not an analytical headphone like an HD800. This headphone compare to other woodies is the most balance of them all.

Overall, it is a color non-neutral sounding headphone. It is designed to be a seductive musical engaging headphone.

Audio-Technica ATH-L3000G - # G000 to 050

5.jpg

7.jpg

20200521_092524.jpg

8.jpg

999.jpg

Audio Technica released Audio Technica L5000. The successor to the L3000.

D9zBIl1UIAAj2Vf.jpg

45014.jpg

Release Date: 2018
■ Type : Closed-back Dynamic
■ Driver Diameter : 58 mm
■ Frequency Response : 5 – 50,000 Hz
■ Maximum Input Power : 1,000 mW
■ Sensitivity : 100 dB/mW
■ Impedance : 45 ohms
■ Weight : 480 g
■ Cable : 3.0 m (dual-sided), 4-core parallel cable/OFC6N + OFC/Elastomer sheath
■ Connector : 6.3 mm (1/4") gold-plated plug
■ Accessories Included : Padded, hard-shell case
■ Wood/Leather: Sycamore wood housings, covered with the finest Connolly aniline leather, give headphones a natural acoustic signature
500 units only
*Discontinued

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 187
  Updated the page. And fully fix and completed now. 

November 23, 2003 the headphone was released. Main purpose looks like was to compete with the MDR R10. 
Unit created: 300 units -  250 Browns and 50 Greens
Price $ 2,500.00 release date. 
Sale in japan only 

Another reason why no one knew about these. is that who really knew about Audio Technica in 2003? An unknown company dropping a $2500 headphone when theres a nice $4000 Sony MDR R10 around the corner? 

I remember people who wanted them needed to get them imported and such.

Thanks 

There was plenty of discussion about them on head-fi, starting from 2003. I even met my buddy (and longtime head-fi legend) Purk when he came over to hear my newly acquired L3000, back in late 2003/4! I think between the two of us, we ended up owning 4 or 5 different pairs over time -- yes, all imported from Japan. Never saw a green one, though. Around that time you could get a NEW one from Japan for ~$1600 all-in. Used examples could occasionally be found for ~$1400.

I was obsessed with the L3000 for a long time. In  the end, they're the only AT headphone that I find pleasing. The W2002, W11JPN, W10VTG, and especially W5000 were all various flavors of disappointment next to the L3000 -- maybe the leather wrap actually had something to do with the sound. The W5000 was particularly disappointing, ugh.

I still have one pair; can't say I listen to them very often though. I categorize the L3000 with the Sony MDR-R10, Sony Qualia 010, and Grado HP-1000 as "flawed gems". Absolutely brilliant in certain aspects, but with significant shortcomings in other areas. The L3000's brilliance was in a visceral, fat, meaty sound. Its shortcomings were in its small soundstage and its lack of detail compared to other top-tier headphones. These days I still find the Stax 009 to be the "best" headphone, when paired with a BHSE-level amp; Stax gets 99% of all my headphone listening time, lately. Can't bring myself to sell them, though -- lovely memories!

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 187
🍻🍻

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 187
  Hello,

Thank you for your interests in the article. 

I am speechless that you end up having 5 pairs of these! That is just amazing. It is a shame you never came across a green version. There wasn't a sonic difference anyway. It was just green.
I heard a pair of these for 30 sec with people yelling in the halls. My god man didn't hear anything. I would love to listen to your pair if you don't have time for it anymore? Pretty please with sugar on top. 

Thanks for the memories.

Side note: I was writing up on 2 Sony articles and 1 was for the Qualia 010 and you responded with the 4 hidden gems. 

The Qualia 010 is one regret I have; I should've held onto that pair. That said, the 009 / BHSE pairing fills all my needs for detail, and has a vastly superior midrange to boot, but the Qualia 010 in its time was really something special. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 187
Yes, i heard great things with the Qualia 010. And a few bad things.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 187
🍻

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 187
I have one pair. I agree with you. Exactly, the L3000's lack details. Also, the sound-stage is very small. However, they're very musical. They have outstanding bass and audio-technica-style sound-stage. L3000's are indeed the best audio-technica's headphones.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 187
Honest question: what is *under* the leather? I've heard rumor that its actually a woodie under there, but never seen anything conclusive (not that I expect anyone to have cut a pair up just to find out).

Yes. Two wooden ear-cups are under the leather. I've taken part my L3000. Here's the pic.

https://flic.kr/p/H1wiYC
https://flic.kr/p/HjHYYT
https://flic.kr/p/JWVXaJ

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 187
Yep - really interesting build quality on these headphones. I believe they said it was cherry wood. Back in the day, there was an interesting article done on the L3000 and its creator -- not sure if it's lost to time now.

I also noticed slight variations in sound between the various L3000 pairs -- though all unmistakably had that musical L3000 sound. There was one pair that was a bit more bass-heavy than the rest -- when the L3000 is already a fairly bass-heavy headphone -- that was something to hear! 

And indeed, the Stax 009 / BHSE is my current headphone nirvana...no need to seek out much better than that. The L3000 was my first high-end love, though. It was my first taste of truly satisfying audio, beyond the trusty HD600/650's capabilities.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 187
Awesome pics, thanks!

I'm assuming the champagne colored part is magnesium alloy, like on the W5000 and others?

Not all of the champagne colored parts are metal. The pieces on the headband, above the swiveling part, are plastic, but painted to look the same. Still a fabulous build quality overall. I remember when I first got the W5000, pausing music in the middle of some loud playback, the damn metal headband strips would contribute a noticeable delayed ringing -- no such problem with the better damped L3000. The leather has to be doing something.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 187
Not all of the champagne colored parts are metal. The pieces on the headband, above the swiveling part, are plastic, but painted to look the same. Still a fabulous build quality overall. I remember when I first got the W5000, pausing music in the middle of some loud playback, the damn metal headband strips would contribute a noticeable delayed ringing -- no such problem with the better damped L3000. The leather has to be doing something.

Thanks for that.

Qualifier: I don't listen at insanely loud levels. That said, I've never noticed any "ringing" on W5000 (or W1000X or A2000X, which also have metal headband straps, and even on A2000X with their metal cups), but I know they're (W5000) a very popular headphone to hate fiercely, so c'est la vie - we disagree. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back