Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 " The Legendary Leatherhead "
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #106 of 188
Recent sell price pointing around 2.5-3K is that considered fair or collector's pricing to you?

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #107 of 188
Recent sell price pointing around 2.5-3K is that considered fair or collector's pricing to you?
Not in the market here, but that seems so reasonable, even surprisingly so. There are lots of modern headphones in that price range that aren't nearly as special as L3000. So the "collection" aspect must not be a big part of their pricing. And the fear of lack of replacement parts must really be keeping their value in check. This and ES-R10 are the two dynamics that stick out as "musically whole" to me.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #108 of 188
Not in the market here, but that seems so reasonable, even surprisingly so. There are lots of modern headphones in that price range that aren't nearly as special as L3000. So the "collection" aspect must not be a big part of their pricing. And the fear of lack of replacement parts must really be keeping their value in check. This and ES-R10 are the two dynamics that stick out as "musically whole" to me.
Yeah that lack of replacement parts is what drove me to sell mine. As said, it’s was my daily driver for 12 years usually using several hours a day. Only needed to replace the pads once. Think I sold the headphones and the broken amp for like $3000-3200. Got several offers within in the first 30 min of posting.

That amp was probably a simple fix but tech wise it was behind current times maxing out at 96k. But was good match for the L3000 in looks and sound.

Just kind of surprised the Audio Technica hasn’t tried to reproduce that sound. The came out with similar looks. And even Grado never officially released a PS1 in the US market. They could also probably reproduce the old HP1 if they wanted to. Nice for collectors that this hasn’t happened.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #109 of 188
I still have the amp but @mulveling has my old L3000. The amp does sounds really good to me still. Agreed that it only max out at 96khz.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #110 of 188
I still have the amp but @mulveling has my old L3000. The amp does sounds really good to me still. Agreed that it only max out at 96khz.
My amp developed a loud buzzing sound. If that didn’t happen, I might still have the L3000. At that point I was back on head-fi looking for a new amp. Eventually curiosity got the better of me which led to selling and buying headphones. But what’s funny is I’m currently left with just my Grado SR60 (while I wait for Caldera) and shocked how enjoyable they are.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #111 of 188
My amp developed a loud buzzing sound. If that didn’t happen, I might still have the L3000. At that point I was back on head-fi looking for a new amp. Eventually curiosity got the better of me which led to selling and buying headphones. But what’s funny is I’m currently left with just my Grado SR60 (while I wait for Caldera) and shocked how enjoyable they are.
That could be a bad capacitor right there.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #112 of 188
Just kind of surprised the Audio Technica hasn’t tried to reproduce that sound. The came out with similar looks. And even Grado never officially released a PS1 in the US market. They could also probably reproduce the old HP1 if they wanted to. Nice for collectors that this hasn’t happened.
That fact makes me so sad, actually. AT headphone voicings seem to fall all over the map, but they did that L3000 kind of sound only exactly ONCE - and nailed it! And they've been futzing around ever since. I do like L5000, but why not voice it more like L3000? I guess it was too much in contrast to the brighter "house" sound they're typically known for.

Never heard PS-1 sadly, but the impression I get is that (kind of) like AT they finally nailed the ultimate post-HP1000 sound, and then went right back to futzing around for the next 15+ years. Lots of flavors, fun at first, then fading into an expired thrill like every other. Ugh. Yes, HP1000 are far more a timeless classic than the other Grados. The REAL value of current Grados is getting a surprisingly good sound from cheap Grados and simple/cheap amplification. Trying to take them beyond that proves frustrating.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #113 of 188

Dec 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #114 of 188

In great shape, anything below 3k is a pretty great deal tbh. $3.2-3.5k is more typical for a set in really good condition (around 3300 is pretty fair to me). I think the going rates are decent given how rare they come up and how unique and top tier it is.

That fact makes me so sad, actually. AT headphone voicings seem to fall all over the map, but they did that L3000 kind of sound only exactly ONCE - and nailed it! And they've been futzing around ever since. I do like L5000, but why not voice it more like L3000? I guess it was too much in contrast to the brighter "house" sound they're typically known for.

Never heard PS-1 sadly, but the impression I get is that (kind of) like AT they finally nailed the ultimate post-HP1000 sound, and then went right back to futzing around for the next 15+ years. Lots of flavors, fun at first, then fading into an expired thrill like every other. Ugh. Yes, HP1000 are far more a timeless classic than the other Grados. The REAL value of current Grados is getting a surprisingly good sound from cheap Grados and simple/cheap amplification. Trying to take them beyond that proves frustrating.

I was hoping that would be the case given the numbering/naming, was pretty disappointed to find out the L5000's signature was much different (not saying they aren't good). The PS1 was amazing, definitely preferred it to the HP1000, although it's very good as well.

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #115 of 188
Probably could have found a local electronics shop to fix it. Did try and be
In great shape, anything below 3k is a pretty great deal tbh. $3.2-3.5k is more typical for a set in really good condition (around 3300 is pretty fair to me). I think the going rates are decent given how rare they come up and how unique and top tier it is.

I was hoping that would be the case given the numbering/naming, was pretty disappointed to find out the L5000's signature was much different (not saying they aren't good). The PS1 was amazing, definitely preferred it to the HP1000, although it's very good as well.
As far as I know the PS1 was only released in Germany. Made specifically for some request. Think limited to 250 units or maybe it was 500?

I was never a fan of the HP1. Was too neutral for me and the fit was kind weird were it just hung by your side. The PS1 was more like RS1 house sound but a technical improvement in soundstage, speed and punch. Just wasn’t that comfortable due to the extra weight of all that metal and the regular bowl pads. The L3000 I could wear for hours with no issues.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #116 of 188
Probably could have found a local electronics shop to fix it. Did try and be

As far as I know the PS1 was only released in Germany. Made specifically for some request. Think limited to 250 units or maybe it was 500?

I was never a fan of the HP1. Was too neutral for me and the fit was kind weird were it just hung by your side. The PS1 was more like RS1 house sound but a technical improvement in soundstage, speed and punch. Just wasn’t that comfortable due to the extra weight of all that metal and the regular bowl pads. The L3000 I could wear for hours with no issues.

Yup, it was very limited. I had a used pair at one point. And that's exactly how I remember them, and with more sub-bass than most Grados.

And agree on the comfort, the L3000 I can sleep in lol.. I sold all my Grados for the same reason; even with pad swapping they are just never comfortable. (FYI. I never tried the C Pads or whatever they are because I also believe they change the sig and nature of Grados, didn't see the point).

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #117 of 188
The PS1 may sound a little more open than the L3000 but overall they offer about the same tonal balance with the PS-1 being slightly more aggressive in the treble. The lack of comfort is always an issue for Grado to me not counting much higher craftmanship on the L3000.

Dec 17, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #118 of 188
The PS1 may sound a little more open than the L3000 but overall they offer about the same tonal balance with the PS-1 being slightly more aggressive in the treble. The lack of comfort is always an issue for Grado to me not counting much higher craftmanship on the L3000.
I think the L3000 also has better bass texture and was slightly slower. The PS1 is a very tight, fast headphone. Kind and had the live in the studio sound. The L3000 is more like listening to a live rock show. Has more PRaT. I remembered sort of of feeling fatigued with the PS1 but never the L3000. I’d only fault the L3000 not being airy enough but could just be the nature of a closed headphone.

Dec 17, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #119 of 188
I only heard the PS1 once and that was out of the SP SDS XLR. I really like the sound but they are horribly uncomfortable to my ears. Yes, L3000 is definitely not airy but the stereo image was very solid despite its rather small and intimate soundstage. The L3000 is definitely not as detailed and resolute compared to new flagship however. PRaT on the L3000 is of course second to none.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #120 of 188
Yep, L3000's main weakness was always the "intimately small-ish" head stage. The shallow closed wood cups pretty much dictate the small stage. But damn it's sweet sounding within that space, and can rock your ass off. Just a masterful voicing; a true love letter to music of ALL GENRES by its designer. Does anyone know anything about the designer, and whether he just did this one headphone for AT, or if he did many AT's but only voiced the L3000 like this? This frustrates me to no end, lol. It can't be THAT expensive to replicate the sound today, if they wanted.

Classic vintage tube amps. Sweet NOS 6SN7 tubes. Modern huge VAC tube monoblocks with low/no feedback, and VAC preamps (no global feedback). Koetsu cartridges. Open reel tape. All the things I discovered love for in this hobby, over several years. THAT'S the sonic alignment of L3000. But the L3000 was my first :sunglasses:

There used to be a mini article (online) with pics about the L3000 designer and his process, but I think that's gong to be hard to find today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back