Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 " The Legendary Leatherhead "
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #136 of 187
So many old timers chatting away. I miss my W2002 with L3000 drivers!!!! I wish I have kept them.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #137 of 187
I agree about detail and resolution but they don’t jump out right away because if the warmer tone. It’s not until you spend some time with it that you realize it’s all still there. As said, my only really complaint was just a hint of that closed in sound. All this talk makes me wonder why I sold it :frowning2:

Definitely true. And it's never too late. Put a WTB ad out there, you'll run into a pair eventually. :)

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #138 of 187
Definitely true. And it's never too late. Put a WTB ad out there, you'll run into a pair eventually. :)
I’m about to enter the world of ZMF, starting with the Caldera and see how that goes.

The interesting thing is as far as equipment is I stumbled upon the Naim HE and found that has a somewhat L3000 sound signature. Naim is know for their PRaT and find this to be true. Focuses on the rhythm and bass texture over absolute resolution but still pretty resolving. I thought balancing that with the technical Expanse headphone would work for me but think was missing too much of the fun. Hoping ZMF brings that. I haven’t heard any of their headphones yet but looks amazing. Perhaps if that doesn’t work out I’ll be back with the L3000. It’s just ZMF has lifetime warranty.

Dec 18, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #139 of 187
I’m about to enter the world of ZMF, starting with the Caldera and see how that goes.

The interesting thing is as far as equipment is I stumbled upon the Naim HE and found that has a somewhat L3000 sound signature. Naim is know for their PRaT and find this to be true. Focuses on the rhythm and bass texture over absolute resolution but still pretty resolving. I thought balancing that with the technical Expanse headphone would work for me but think was missing too much of the fun. Hoping ZMF brings that. I haven’t heard any of their headphones yet but looks amazing. Perhaps if that doesn’t work out I’ll be back with the L3000. It’s just ZMF has lifetime warranty.

I am trying my hardest to not purchase a Caldera lol. I enjoyed the Verite Closed a lot for the price point, and everything I've heard about the Caldera sounds promising. Sounds like it competes with just about anything.

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #140 of 187
The most disappointing AT product to date in my opinion, is the L5000.
Even the W5000 I managed to make them sound great with earpad changes. The L5000, at it price point has no real strength that stands out like the L3000.
The tuning just hurts my ears. It's just a fancy show piece have on display.

Dec 19, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #142 of 187
I am trying my hardest to not purchase a Caldera lol

Guys, the Caldera is amazing. I can't recommend it enough (I wrote detailed first impressions, which have later remained very consistent with few more weeks of listening under belt: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/authors/goldwerger.546676/reviews)

The most disappointing AT product to date in my opinion, is the L5000.

I've learned why the L5000 many not have worked for many folks and can, hopefully, offer some insight (I wrote on this earlier in this thread).

The L5000 are ridiculously designed with fixed gimbals in size that fit small heads (I would guess given its main intended domestic market). On first listen, it sounded high on treble and low on bass and just completely off.

I first resolved to solve the issue of comfort, and replaced the stock pads with ZMF universe lmabskin solid pads, which fit it like a glove. Those are very deep and plush, and resulted in the pads completely compensating for my larger head, naturally sinking comfortably around my facial contours, transforming the headphone from very uncomfortable to very comfortable.

More importantly, I found that this resulted in a proper and complete seal as the L5000 with its stock pads is too unwielding to offer a proper seal -- this allowed me to hear for the first time the intended tuning of the headphone. They radically changed and now offer a very balanced turning. In fact, they are one of the best headphones I've heard. Extremely resolving, beautifully sounding, crisp and fast bass, beautiful mids, and clear but non-fatiguing treble. They are probably one of my ~5 all-time favourite headphones (and even ahead of the L3000, which I love).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #143 of 187
I’m using the ZMF Solid Universe lambskin - and it’s amazing with the L3000 (I also have the Caldera, and in general ZMF perforated pads don’t work as well as their solid pads for closed back headphones). I highly recommend the above!
Thanks for that recommendation! You were right, ZMF Solid Universe Lambskin is the best pad for the L3000. The pad I cycle through was the Yaxi, the ZMF Perforated Cowhide slim, the ZMF Solid Auteur Lambskin, and finally the ZMF Solid Universe Lambskin.

I liked for the bass/sub-bass on the Cowhide, but I didn't realize how much it was hurting vocals for me. Vocals felt very boring on the Cowhide, but I thought it was because I didn't have my 6V6 tube amp anymore. Me not having my 6V6 tube amp is part of the reason the vocals felt boring to me on the L3000, but when I swapped from the Cowhide to the Solid Auteur pads, the vocals felt satisfying again. I never really appreciated the Yaxi pads because I had them by default with the old AT woodies, but the Yaxi pads were really nice for vocals satisfaction for me.

After all the pad swapping, my favorite two is the ZMF Solid Auteur Lambskin and ZMF Solid Universe Lambskin. The Solid Auteur Lambskin sounded very clean and vocals feel like they had more of a spotlight with these pads. It sounded very clean, but doesn't have the energy that the Solid Universe Lambskin pads bring. I felt like the Solid Auteur Lambskin pads sounded soothing and pleasing to my ears. Even though I liked them more, it kinda defeat the purpose of why I liked the L3000. I felt like the main reason I like the L3000 is for the fun distortion it brings to the table. The Solid Universe Lambskin had more energy in the music, bass guitar had more weight, I get a slight more sub-bass rumble, and vocals took a step back and I hear the music more than the vocals. The Solid Universe Lambskin is the most fun pads I tried with the L3000. Thanks again Goldwerger for the pad recommendation, I really appreciate and Happy New Year!

I still like the Solid Auteur Lambskin a lot, so I stuck them on my W10VTG and it sounds fantastic! Now that's a headphone where I want vocals to have the main spotlight!
Pads.png

Pads2.png

20221231_140107.JPG

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #144 of 187
Thanks for that recommendation! You were right, ZMF Solid Universe Lambskin is the best pad for the L3000. The pad I cycle through was the Yaxi, the ZMF Perforated Cowhide slim, the ZMF Solid Auteur Lambskin, and finally the ZMF Solid Universe Lambskin.

I liked for the bass/sub-bass on the Cowhide, but I didn't realize how much it was hurting vocals for me. Vocals felt very boring on the Cowhide, but I thought it was because I didn't have my 6V6 tube amp anymore. Me not having my 6V6 tube amp is part of the reason the vocals felt boring to me on the L3000, but when I swapped from the Cowhide to the Solid Auteur pads, the vocals felt satisfying again. I never really appreciated the Yaxi pads because I had them by default with the old AT woodies, but the Yaxi pads were really nice for vocals satisfaction for me.

After all the pad swapping, my favorite two is the ZMF Solid Auteur Lambskin and ZMF Solid Universe Lambskin. The Solid Auteur Lambskin sounded very clean and vocals feel like they had more of a spotlight with these pads. It sounded very clean, but doesn't have the energy that the Solid Universe Lambskin pads bring. I felt like the Solid Auteur Lambskin pads sounded soothing and pleasing to my ears. Even though I liked them more, it kinda defeat the purpose of why I liked the L3000. I felt like the main reason I like the L3000 is for the fun distortion it brings to the table. The Solid Universe Lambskin had more energy in the music, bass guitar had more weight, I get a slight more sub-bass rumble, and vocals took a step back and I hear the music more than the vocals. The Solid Universe Lambskin is the most fun pads I tried with the L3000. Thanks again Goldwerger for the pad recommendation, I really appreciate and Happy New Year!

I still like the Solid Auteur Lambskin a lot, so I stuck them on my W10VTG and it sounds fantastic! Now that's a headphone where I want vocals to have the main spotlight!
Pads.png
Pads2.png
20221231_140107.JPG

I’m so happy to hear this was helpful! And, thanks for sharing your impressions, I learned a few things myself here from your post and I may also try to play with the Auteur pads at some point and compare them! :)

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #146 of 187
Phew, cost me another hour to replace my L3000G earpads, but it's worthy :)

Brand new spare earpads 4->3

Thinking of swapping the old L3000 earpads into my L5000, I don't like the thick L5000 earpads (aka W5000 earpads) at all.

I remember spending about that amount of time when I replaced mine. I wonder if they can work like the ZMF pads. Where you can flip the rim of the pads like a sock. It makes it 100x easier to install. The first time trying ZMF pads, brought back horrible memories of replacing the L3000 pads until I learned the flip trick.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #147 of 187
I remember spending about that amount of time when I replaced mine. I wonder if they can work like the ZMF pads. Where you can flip the rim of the pads like a sock. It makes it 100x easier to install. The first time trying ZMF pads, brought back horrible memories of replacing the L3000 pads until I learned the flip trick.

I'm actually using ZMF universe lamb solid pads on the L3000 (same with the L5000) and that is perfect fit both physically, and sonically

I've recently played with same pads exercise wtih the ADX5000 and, while the ZMF pads could follow the rolled-back-sock procedure, when I replaced them back with the AT pads (that didn't work well on the those headphones), the AT pads don't have the flex on those flaps to be rolled back. So it requires just a patient stretching all around. but, it's reallly not much of a big deal. just 2-3 min and bit of patience :wink:

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #148 of 187

Thinking of swapping the old L3000 earpads into my L5000, I don't like the thick L5000 earpads (aka W5000 earpads) at all.

L01.jpg
L02.jpg
L03.jpg
l04.jpg
Wow, just noticed you own the green ones. Not sure I remember anyone posting on this site that owned a green pair back in the day.

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #149 of 187

My cousin 😀
Where are you finding the pads? I find my favorite pads are the W5000. It's very nice, lose and large.

Im actually hunting all the W5000 earpads down, before they fully disappear.

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #150 of 187
Looks like ZMF pads got good synergy with ATH cans, hope I can see those pads in coming Canjam London.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back