Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Mar 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #766 of 1,104
I got a pair of these last year and used these for about 30 hours and it seems like 1 of the 2 drivers on the left side is dead. I've tried flipping the cables but issue still persists on the left side. Contacted AT US and they said the im70 can't be repaired. Bummer.

Shd'nt they replace a new one?......tho they bought from AT Japan?.....

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #767 of 1,104
Volume wise it was a bit weaker, most of the bass disappeared. It could be the internal wiring, but it still is not repairable unless I'm willing the break it open myself.

I would suggest removing the filters first to see if there is any ear wax inside the nozzle. Or you can swap the connectors on both ear pieces to be sure that it is a driver problem.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #768 of 1,104
Has anyone else tried using the rubber inserts from the decibullz custom adapters to cover the bass ports and improve comfort and seal? I have found it to help isolation, reduce the bass bloom and improve placement and focus.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #769 of 1,104
Shd'nt they replace a new one?......tho they bought from AT Japan?.....

I was under the assumption that you only get warranty help from the place of purchase, not international. Which is why I only ask them to repair it. 

I would suggest removing the filters first to see if there is any ear wax inside the nozzle. Or you can swap the connectors on both ear pieces to be sure that it is a driver problem.

I don't think the filter is removable, not sure if I'm willing to dissemble the iem yet.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #771 of 1,104
I don't think the filter is removable, not sure if I'm willing to dissemble the iem yet.

You can remove the filters with a needle. I mean unplug the sockets and plug the R jack to L and vice versa. You don't have to dissemble it.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #773 of 1,104
You can remove the filters with a needle. I mean unplug the sockets and plug the R jack to L and vice versa. You don't have to dissemble it.

OR It cld be one of the driver bit ts dust or both partially losing its bass.......I doubt the wax clogging past the filter just with his IM70 alone and it cld've been same situation for his other IEMs too, if that ear discharges more wax......just sayin.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #774 of 1,104

The improvement was great, I never imagined that a cable could make such a difference. The details, treble, middle and bass improved. Recommend with praise, despite the high price. (Audio-Technica AT-HDC5 cable)

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #775 of 1,104
Hello guys. Recently I got a pair IM 70 which I absolutely love them. I've been seeing you guys discuss the filter remove mod. and heard good things about lol. I am kind of tempted to do so.
etysmile.gif

Can anyone please tell me in depth on how to disassemble the IEMs without breaking it 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Thx

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #776 of 1,104
  Hello guys. Recently I got a pair IM 70 which I absolutely love them. I've been seeing you guys discuss the filter remove mod. and heard good things about lol. I am kind of tempted to do so.
etysmile.gif

Can anyone please tell me in depth on how to disassemble the IEMs without breaking it 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Thx

All you need is a needle. Follow these steps.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #777 of 1,104
On the IM70, is that the driver right at the back of the nozzle (the black thing)? I keep thinking I have a channel imbalance but not always. I shined a light through the pressure vent to see what it was and it appears to be the driver but it seems aligned differently on the left and the right ear pieces...

Mar 22, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #778 of 1,104
  On the IM70, is that the driver right at the back of the nozzle (the black thing)? I keep thinking I have a channel imbalance but not always. I shined a light through the pressure vent to see what it was and it appears to be the driver but it seems aligned differently on the left and the right ear pieces...

Yes, right at the end of the nozzle but since the the nozzle is angled you can only see a small part of it not the whole driver. Try to clean the nozzle with a cotton stick. But be careful don't push it all the way down the nozzle as you can damage the drivers. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #780 of 1,104

Yes, right at the end of the nozzle but since the the nozzle is angled you can only see a small part of it not the whole driver. Try to clean the nozzle with a cotton stick. But be careful don't push it all the way down the nozzle as you can damage the drivers. 

I already did that but there isn't much of a difference. It may just be psychoacoustics, but I think the left channel is a tad bit more edgy (but not necessarily louder or more bassy) when I play a mono source. Another example is the snare at the end of Mirrors by Justin Timberlake - it is panned to the left, but on my M50x it sounds more uniform and the panning is only slight.

I was under the impression there was a paper filter at the back that protects the driver as mentioned previously, but maybe this only covers the pressure vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back