Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Jan 31, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #676 of 1,104
Just put it back on lol. Unless you messed it up like mine, then just go filterless.

well you'll probably need to glue it back.

I'm not sure but yesterday I was cleaning some eartips with sanitizer and I might have got some into it (pushed the tip inwards. I can't really tell for sure but now I keep thinking the right channel is louder. :S Then again I sometimes feel that way with many headphones, might just be placebo effect.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #677 of 1,104
  well you'll probably need to glue it back.

I'm not sure but yesterday I was cleaning some eartips with sanitizer and I might have got some into it (pushed the tip inwards. I can't really tell for sure but now I keep thinking the right channel is louder. :S Then again I sometimes feel that way with many headphones, might just be placebo effect.

No, you don't have to glue it back as it has some glue around the filters lol. Simply put it pack with your finger. It's a piece of cake!

Feb 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #679 of 1,104
  can anyone recommend a good in line control for this iem and android devices? also please please show me a link to a good set of tips.. I need to experiment with others that are not included 

http://www.audio-technica.com.sg/products/headphones/professional/in-ear-monitor/at-hdc1is

This appears to be a one-button design so it should work with Android (like the CKM500iS). Not sure where to buy it though. There's also a third-party mic'd cable on Aliexpress.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #680 of 1,104
Just got mine. But hmmm?

Initial impressions with the comply tips: Nothing really special. Just a bit better than my SHE3590 (LOL). Will wait for burn in and try tip rolling later

Edit: Just realised Red is for Right. I feel stupid now

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #681 of 1,104
Just got mine. But hmmm?

Initial impressions with the comply tips: Nothing really special. Just a bit better than my SHE3590 (LOL). Will wait for burn in and try tip rolling later

Edit: Just realised Red is for Right. I feel stupid now

They sound a bit better with SHE3590 tips than stock CK tips, though they are a bit more uncomfortable (sometimes the flange flips when inserted in your ear and you can feel it flip back when you take it off. The treble and bass are ever so slightly elevated, probably because they have a slightly wider bore than stock tips.

Has anyone tried the HDC5 cable (OFC) with the IM70? Is it less microphonic and is there an improvement in sound quality?

The microphonics on the IM70 can be a bit bothersome when I'm walking. (They aren't very noisy but I expected better for their price)

Feb 5, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #682 of 1,104
  They sound a bit better with SHE3590 tips than stock CK tips, though they are a bit more uncomfortable (sometimes the flange flips when inserted in your ear and you can feel it flip back when you take it off. The treble and bass are ever so slightly elevated, probably because they have a slightly wider bore than stock tips.

Has anyone tried the HDC5 cable (OFC) with the IM70? Is it less microphonic and is there an improvement in sound quality?

The microphonics on the IM70 can be a bit bothersome when I'm walking. (They aren't very noisy but I expected better for their price)

+1 for SHE3590 tips. The comply tips took some of the bass out which I didn't like. The earphones hurt my ears after a few hours of listening though.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #683 of 1,104
I'm suspecting my unit has a channel imbalance as I mentioned earlier, a little bit alcohol sanitizer probably got into the right unit (I was cleaning my eartips with them and didn't check if there was any in the bore, but once I pushed it in I think some got in! :frowning2:). It's by no means dead but I feel it is a tad bit more laid-back than the left channel which feels a tad bit more sibilant (this is with mono tracks). I looked at the "dissection" in the other IM70/IM50 thread, and there is a long way between the nozzle and the driver so it's unlikely to be damaged.

Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, as I felt the same thing when I bought the SHE3590, or maybe it's just there's something in my ear (though I did check other headphones I don't feel any problem with them).

As for wide-bore tips, I tried making stoppers by using the plastic rings taken from old comply tips. However, they stick out too much and the fit becomes somewhat inconsistent. I prefer the wide-bores pushed all the way in but it feels more loose than stock tips or SHE3590 tips.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #684 of 1,104
You sure its not a seal issue? I had a similar issue with my ath-im02 where it felt like there was a channel imbalance but i think i may not have been getting the right seal even though it felt like i was.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #685 of 1,104
Just adding this in here: in order to get a good seal, you would normally twist the IEM housing backwards once in the ear; for the IM70 a good seal is achieved by twisting the IEM housing forward. It took me quite a while to figure this out and it makes quite a big difference in the bass department.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #686 of 1,104
I've been crossing between the SHE3590 tips and the Comply Foam tips. The Comply Tips take away the annoying sibilance on the "s" sounds, but the bass is compromised. The silicone tips have more bass but have the sibilance. Is there any way to take away the sibilance without using the foam tips? Or is this just something burn in problem?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #687 of 1,104
  I've been crossing between the SHE3590 tips and the Comply Foam tips. The Comply Tips take away the annoying sibilance on the "s" sounds, but the bass is compromised. The silicone tips have more bass but have the sibilance. Is there any way to take away the sibilance without using the foam tips? Or is this just something burn in problem?

If you're getting sibilance from the IM70 there's something wrong somewhere. It's very, very smooth in the treble so I would reckon you're doing one of a few things like listening to very poor or distorted file quality, using an amp or EQ when not warranted, listening too loud, or some combination of things. What are you listening to that's sibilant? Sometimes music is just produced that way as well.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #688 of 1,104
  I'm suspecting my unit has a channel imbalance as I mentioned earlier, a little bit alcohol sanitizer probably got into the right unit (I was cleaning my eartips with them and didn't check if there was any in the bore, but once I pushed it in I think some got in! :frowning2:). It's by no means dead but I feel it is a tad bit more laid-back than the left channel which feels a tad bit more sibilant (this is with mono tracks). I looked at the "dissection" in the other IM70/IM50 thread, and there is a long way between the nozzle and the driver so it's unlikely to be damaged.

Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, as I felt the same thing when I bought the SHE3590, or maybe it's just there's something in my ear (though I did check other headphones I don't feel any problem with them).

As for wide-bore tips, I tried making stoppers by using the plastic rings taken from old comply tips. However, they stick out too much and the fit becomes somewhat inconsistent. I prefer the wide-bores pushed all the way in but it feels more loose than stock tips or SHE3590 tips.

I had the channel imbalance too.  I was carrying my kid when I realized she pulled my Im70's left earphone, leaving the ear hooks straight.  After that, I found the left earphone's bass sound less than the right's.  Never bothered with the warranty since I got to sell my pair immediately... let the buyer's ears tell the difference

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #689 of 1,104

You're probably not getting a good seal with the silicone tips. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #690 of 1,104
  You sure its not a seal issue? I had a similar issue with my ath-im02 where it felt like there was a channel imbalance but i think i may not have been getting the right seal even though it felt like i was.

nope, I had a good seal before and didn't notice any problem - I think it might just be a psychological thing because I thought "oh no the alcohol got in it's gonna sound bad now". Sometimes I don't notice any problem at all. I think many songs are mixed to have treble on the left channel more but I did check by making everything mono. At the very worst I think there might be a bit of alcohol stuck in the nozzle but I don't think it would affect the sound very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back