Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Oct 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #526 of 1,104

Did you buy the following cable? - http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4344

They look really nice, and... no memory wire! Do they improve the sound at all, or is it just an improve in ergonomics? Either way, I'll probably get it, as I'm really annoyed with the memory wire. It refuses to stay in place all the time.

I'm looking for a warm IEM with decent bass levels and a controlled treble response. I'm quite sensitive to sibilance, so I'd like to avoid any harsh highs. Thanks! :)

Yes, that's the one. I bought 2 cables for IM03 and IM70. Now, both earphones are easily wearable yet the cable is incredibly light! So far. I noticed no change in sound, but since the cable allows for better fit, sound could change I'd say. The cable slides over the ear easily like putting a shoe lace on top your ear. However, I find that the cables are easily tangled.

From my collections, warm iems with decent bass and non-fatiguing treble without that nasty sharp treble like cymbals ( like sibilant), I'd say....

FXT90 -> bright treble and aggressive, focusing on instrument like guitar sounds, but definitely no cymbal harshness. Deep bass but not boomy.

Xiaomi's Piston 2 -> Couldn't say much bout this. Definitely a fun-sounding IEM without harshness. Also be ware of fakes

XBA-1 -> neutral earphone, most non-fatiguing IEM but lacking in both bass punch and shimmery treble makes it an boring one. Most dirt-cheap BA ever.

Yamaha EPH-100 -> my truest warm earphone in my collection. Can't go wrong when having this! but don't ever buy it from ebay cuz they're fakes coming with no box but flimsy ear tips.

and maybe much more like Philip's SHE3590 but I dont like Vsonic's cuz they seem to introduce sibilance (based on reviews I've seen)

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #527 of 1,104
IM50 & IM70 are indeed giants killer.

I would not call the IM70 a giant killer, but they are better than Ostry and the Tenore.  As far as sound is concerned, they are in the same league as the GR07 (MKII) and the TF10 -- different signature, but great quality (way more balanced than the TF10, which is missing sub-bass).   The IM70 is definitely worth the purchase price.

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #528 of 1,104

I would not call the IM70 a giant killer, but they are better than Ostry and the Tenore.  As far as sound is concerned, they are in the same league as the GR07 (MKII) and the TF10 -- different signature, but great quality (way more balanced than the TF10, which is missing sub-bass).   The IM70 is definitely worth the purchase price.

Can i ask what you would call a giant killer IEM ?

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #530 of 1,104

Can i ask what you would call a giant killer IEM ?

The problem here is that I have not really heard an IEM giant to begin with (I'm more into headphones).    I'm assuming that something like the Roxanne will rival something like my HD800.  The best IEM I've heard is the GR07...and the GR07 can't hold a candle to the HD800.   If an IEM is not even able to at lest match a GR07, a TF10 or a MDR7550 (the best IEMs I've heard) then it is definitely not a giant killer.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #531 of 1,104

Yes, that's the one. I bought 2 cables for IM03 and IM70. Now, both earphones are easily wearable yet the cable is incredibly light! So far. I noticed no change in sound, but since the cable allows for better fit, sound could change I'd say. The cable slides over the ear easily like putting a shoe lace on top your ear. However, I find that the cables are easily tangled.

Yamaha EPH-100 -> my truest warm earphone in my collection. Can't go wrong when having this! but don't ever buy it from ebay cuz they're fakes coming with no box but flimsy ear tips.

Looks like this cable is what I really need. The stock cables are pretty decent, but the presence of the memory wire makes using the IM70s more difficult. It's still better than UE's implementation with the UE 900, which is an absolute nightmare. Btw, how long did you take to receive the cable?

Anyway, I was really interested in the EPH-100 myself, and I think I might audition them when I head to Japan in a couple months' time. I've read a lot of reviews, and the general opinion on its sound presentation is positive. How are they with rock or dance music?

Btw, thanks for the recommendations. :)

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #532 of 1,104

Well, the IM70 is not a giant killer, but it's certainly an IEM that sounds and feels more expensive. I actually prefer the sound of the IM70 to my Westone 3, which has far too much sibilance for its own good.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #533 of 1,104
This pair of headphones is the most beautiful and musical to my ears. It sounds so organic...so truth...and so much details. I have never listened to any high-end headphones. But for me, I love it here. At this mark. The bass though...rumbling bass....and so real. If anyone complain about the bass of these X_X.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #534 of 1,104
This pair of headphones is the most beautiful and musical to my ears. It sounds so organic...so truth...and so much details. I have never listened to any high-end headphones. But for me, I love it here. At this mark. The bass though...rumbling bass....and so real. If anyone complain about the bass of these X_X

Sometimes higher-end models are more technically capable, but they might not give you the enjoyment that some less expensive models can give you.  It's all about finding those models which have a  signature that hits the right spot. 

You'll be surprised at how many high-end models you will hear and leave you scratching your head wondering why so many people claim that they are so good. 

And you are not imagining things...the ATH-IM70 is a really an exceptional IEM.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #535 of 1,104
These look very interesting. How would they compare, in terms of sound alone, to the

1. HiFiMan RE-400,
2. VSonic VSD3S and
3. Zero Audio Tenore?

I presently own a VSonic GR07 MkII, and coming from someone who works in music production with studio monitors and studio-grade headphones, I find the GR07 MkII lacking realistic bass weight and fullness in the low-end.

What are your thoughts?

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #536 of 1,104
  These look very interesting. How would they compare, in terms of sound alone, to the

1. HiFiMan RE-400,
2. VSonic VSD3S and
3. Zero Audio Tenore?

I presently own a VSonic GR07 MkII, and coming from someone who works in music production with studio monitors and studio-grade headphones, I find the GR07 MkII lacking realistic bass weight and fullness in the low-end.

What are your thoughts?

I just ordered an IM-70, so I'll be sure to do some quick comparisons to the GR07 and VSD3S.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #538 of 1,104

I just ordered an IM-70, so I'll be sure to do some quick comparisons to the GR07 and VSD3S.

Please add IM50 to your comparisons also. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #539 of 1,104
Will do. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #540 of 1,104

From my collections, warm iems with decent bass and non-fatiguing treble without that nasty sharp treble like cymbals ( like sibilant), I'd say....

FXT90 -> bright treble and aggressive, focusing on instrument like guitar sounds, but definitely no cymbal harshness. Deep bass but not boomy.

Xiaomi's Piston 2 -> Couldn't say much bout this. Definitely a fun-sounding IEM without harshness. Also be ware of fakes

XBA-1 -> neutral earphone, most non-fatiguing IEM but lacking in both bass punch and shimmery treble makes it an boring one. Most dirt-cheap BA ever.

and maybe much more like Philip's SHE3590 but I dont like Vsonic's cuz they seem to introduce sibilance (based on reviews I've seen)

And how would you compare your IM70 to these, particularly the FXT90 and the EPH--100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back