Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Nov 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #541 of 1,104
  These look very interesting. How would they compare, in terms of sound alone, to the

1. HiFiMan RE-400,
2. VSonic VSD3S and
3. Zero Audio Tenore?

I presently own a VSonic GR07 MkII, and coming from someone who works in music production with studio monitors and studio-grade headphones, I find the GR07 MkII lacking realistic bass weight and fullness in the low-end.

What are your thoughts?

Ok, so in comparison to the GR07 these have quite a bit more bass, a tad less clarity but equally good, if not better naturalness, more full and warm sound. Low mids are a tad more recessed but the mids then come up in the upper region and feature female and higher male vocals more prominently. All the comments of the mids being natural and heavenly and all that are spot on. The highs are less sibilant and balanced with the rest of the signature, and again, very natural sounding. Soundstage is about as wide and deeper. Separation and layering are on par. I don't know that they'd be the best choice for a reference monitor, but they definitely will give you a weightier and beefier low end, while staying well controlled like the GR07BE does while being a little more boomy. You might like the GR07BE better for monitoring purposes as the bass isn't quite as boomy as the IM70.

In reference to the VSD3S, it sounds a little more artificial than the IM70, but has a similar soundstage, just not quite as deep or wide. Treble is harsher and could be more fatiguing. Clarity is better on the IM70. Bass is again, much boomier and thicker on the IM70 but still holds up to fast phrases better than the VSD3S. Mids are more recessed on the VSD3S. Separation is a but behind the IM70s.

Just some quick thoughts while playing with the IM70s after a 10 hour or so burn in (didn't hear any real change out of the box) and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about them. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #542 of 1,104

Ok, so in comparison to the GR07 these have quite a bit more bass, a tad less clarity but equally good, if not better naturalness, more full and warm sound. Low mids are a tad more recessed but the mids then come up in the upper region and feature female and higher male vocals more prominently. All the comments of the mids being natural and heavenly and all that are spot on. The highs are less sibilant and balanced with the rest of the signature, and again, very natural sounding. Soundstage is about as wide and deeper. Separation and layering are on par. I don't know that they'd be the best choice for a reference monitor, but they definitely will give you a weightier and beefier low end, while staying well controlled like the GR07BE does while being a little more boomy. You might like the GR07BE better for monitoring purposes as the bass isn't quite as boomy as the IM70.

In reference to the VSD3S, it sounds a little more artificial than the IM70, but has a similar soundstage, just not quite as deep or wide. Treble is harsher and could be more fatiguing. Clarity is better on the IM70. Bass is again, much boomier and thicker on the IM70 but still holds up to fast phrases better than the VSD3S. Mids are more recessed on the VSD3S. Separation is a but behind the IM70s.

Just some quick thoughts while playing with the IM70s after a 10 hour or so burn in (didn't hear any real change out of the box) and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about them. 

Thank you for that detailed reply. I think I'm starting to be convinced that these have a bit too much low-end for me, because when I briefly auditioned one of my students' GR07 Bass Edition, I found the low-end to be a bit on the excessive side, and if the IM70 surpasses those, then they're probably not ideal for what I'm looking for. I should give the GR07 BE a more thorough listen before deciding on this for sure, though.

Do you have any other recommendations for me then, based on my requirements as mentioned earlier? Within a budget of say, 300 USD?

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #543 of 1,104

How do these sound in comparison to IM50? Which one has boomier bas?

Nov 9, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #544 of 1,104
How do these sound in comparison to IM50? Which one has boomier bas?

Got you covered over here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/698932/audio-technica-im50-im70-discussion-thread/510#post_11031334

I feel like both are similar in the low end, but the IM70 is more controlled than the 50. If you have a specific song in mind to test, I can give it a listen. 

Do you have any other recommendations for me then, based on my requirements as mentioned earlier? Within a budget of say, 300 USD?

None in particular but that might be a good question for Joker's thread. CKR9 has been on my mind a lot, but I haven't heard it myself and couldn't comment on how well it would monitor. I'm sure some others can chime in as well. Maybe some of the newer hybrids coming out could be a good choice?

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #547 of 1,104
  Has anyone tried going balance with the IM70?
Does the wire at the termination ends up with 4 wires (Rch+ Rch- Lch+ Lch-)?

Not to my knowledge. Whilst the IM70 is a great sounding earphone, going balanced is not going to yield a dramatic change (increase) in sound quality assuming a similar length cable (only the ultimate enthusiasts would exert any effort for the IM70). By definition of balanced connection, yes the cables need to be terminated in the R+R-, L+L- configuration.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #548 of 1,104

Not to my knowledge. Whilst the IM70 is a great sounding earphone, going balanced is not going to yield a dramatic change (increase) in sound quality assuming a similar length cable (only the ultimate enthusiasts would exert any effort for the IM70). By definition of balanced connection, yes the cables need to be terminated in the R+R-, L+L- configuration.

Why would that be, if i may ask? 
I went from single-ended to balance input on my amp (Ibasso PB2) with the HD650 and the change in sound quality is appreciable although not dramatic. Soundstage also got wider.
i was thinking if the cable wires upto the 3.5mm plug is completely continous (4 wires) then i can easily re-terminate to a hirose plug.  

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #549 of 1,104
I went from single-ended to balance input on my amp (Ibasso PB2) with the HD650 and the change in sound quality is appreciable although not dramatic. Soundstage also got wider.
i was thinking if the cable wires upto the 3.5mm plug is completely continous (4 wires) then i can easily re-terminate to a hirose plug.  

The only thing that might improve would be soundstage, and it might get uncomfortable at some point. Too much of a hassle if you ask me for a slight improvement, if any at all. Balancing the HD650's does improve them, but it doesn't mean that every headphone improves like that. You're welcome to try tho, but, like i said before, it might be too much of a hassle.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #550 of 1,104

The return on sound (if any) is typically greater for a higher quality driver as they are able to resolve subtle nuances that a lower quality driver may not. Most certainly, the HD650's are no slouch in this area. You must also have a (relatively well) controlled testing environment if you are to critically determine whether going to balanced yields any differences in sound as the differences may simply be due to changes in volume or different circuitry present on a balanced vs unbalanced amp (or balanced section of an amp). Impedance of the driver should also be a consideration.

From a studio standpoint, balanced only yields benefits in situations where you have a lot of external interference, or need to use longer cable runs. I presume not many people have attempted running balanced cables to the IM70 because it is only 100 dollars and that the anticipated benefits from such a modification are not enough to justify the extra effort and cost. Feel free to try of course
etysmile.gif
, I would be interested to know if there were any significant changes.

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #551 of 1,104

The return on sound (if any) is typically greater for a higher quality driver as they are able to resolve subtle nuances that a lower quality driver may not. Most certainly, the HD650's are no slouch in this area. You must also have a (relatively well) controlled testing environment if you are to critically determine whether going to balanced yields any differences in sound as the differences may simply be due to changes in volume or different circuitry present on a balanced vs unbalanced amp (or balanced section of an amp). Impedance of the driver should also be a consideration.

From a studio standpoint, balanced only yields benefits in situations where you have a lot of external interference, or need to use longer cable runs. I presume not many people have attempted running balanced cables to the IM70 because it is only 100 dollars and that the anticipated benefits from such a modification are not enough to justify the extra effort and cost. Feel free to try of course
etysmile.gif
, I would be interested to know if there were any significant changes.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Such useful info.
I am beginning to understand why i haven't yet seen anyone in the net going balanced with the IM70. 
I might try it someday but i don't want to be the first :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #552 of 1,104
  Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Such useful info.
I am beginning to understand why i haven't yet seen anyone in the net going balanced with the IM70. 
I might try it someday but i don't want to be the first :)

Smart man.
k701smile.gif
Someone will probably try one day, but its just made difficult at this stage because of the proprietary connector to the actual earpiece itself. I believe you can buy the connectors, but then you would have to solder the small connector to larger balanced cables and terminate the cables into XLR / TRS. It is quite a bit of work
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #553 of 1,104

Smart man.
k701smile.gif
Someone will probably try one day, but its just made difficult at this stage because of the proprietary connector to the actual earpiece itself. I believe you can buy the connectors, but then you would have to solder the small connector to larger balanced cables and terminate the cables into XLR / TRS. It is quite a bit of work
biggrin.gif

Yes, there are china shops selling the proprietary connectors.
It's not easy to solder it and the challenge is on soldering the balance connector (Hirose connector in the case of the Ibasso PB2). 
DIY is fun though. 
In the meantime, i'll just settle and enjoy the sound of single-ended IM70 :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #554 of 1,104
  Yes, there are china shops selling the proprietary connectors.
It's not easy to solder it and the challenge is on soldering the balance connector (Hirose connector in the case of the Ibasso PB2). 
DIY is fun though. 
In the meantime, i'll just settle and enjoy the sound of single-ended IM70 :)

Yep, DIY is always fun and a great learning experience. But they also say, if it ain't broke don't fix it
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back