Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Apr 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #421 of 1,104
  GoldenEars measure the ATH-IM70: http://en.goldenears.net/31885

Looks like nothing could be done on the highs but the thickness does indeed cause the 'closed in' feeling in the sound. Just tried the IM70 profile with Golden Ear's Accudio app with -2db on the vocals, sounds much nicer but I think it reveal a little of the resonances up top as well, will have to listen more.

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #422 of 1,104
My first listen to my IM70's (travelling on bus) and I have to say, I really like these :smile:

I would describe it as very full sounding and smooth. A really powerful sound. It is on another level to my CKN70's which is what I was expecting. Build quality is better than what I was expecting, much better cable than the CKN70 which isn't hard lol. These are even easier to drive than the CKN70 which I was pleasantly surprised at.

I won't go into any more detail because other members have covered the bases. I'm using the stock tips as I tried the Sony Hybrids on them but couldn't get a good fit/seal. Isolation is good for me with the stock tips.

If anyone has any more questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #426 of 1,104
Thanks for your quick reply!

The Basso I have has some driver flex issues and recently, one side has been sounding softer than the other. It's getting a little annoying and pushing me closer to getting something new.

May 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #428 of 1,104
Would the im70s be the equivalent to the ath a900x in iem form? Whilst I love my a900xs they aren't very portable, at least not to me. Also could they be considered an upgrade to the fxd80s in some way or another?

May 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #429 of 1,104
Would the im70s be the equivalent to the ath a900x in iem form? Whilst I love my a900xs they aren't very portable, at least not to me. Also could they be considered an upgrade to the fxd80s in some way or another?

I have the ATH-AD1000x and the IM70 they are both very good at what they do but not very similar

May 5, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #430 of 1,104

I don't have the headphones with me at the moment but from what I can remember the IM70 sounds quite close to the full sized M-50

May 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #431 of 1,104
So I finally got a chance to do a brief comparison with JVC FXT90s and I want to give my impressions. I owned the FXT90s for about 2 years, loved them very much, then lost them and replaced them with the IM70.

My first impressions of the IM70 were pretty negative, based as a comparison of my memory of the FXT90s. After burn-in (which I'm now starting to doubt) and getting used to the IM70s for a few months, I began to generally really like them. I never got that "in heaven" feeling I had with FXT90s but then I figured that maybe my memory was warped.

Well, I'm sorry to say that a lot of my initial negative thoughts on the IM70 have returned. Objectively speaking, IM70 have a much, much BIGGER sound. When I put the FXT90s in, the initial comparison makes them sound really tinny, treble focused, a little sibilant, and overall smaller sounding. Also, I will say that perhaps for anything in the realm of pop, rock, alternative, electronic, etc., that the IM70s are better suited for that. They have WAYYY more bass and for some reason bring out more clarity in those types of music. It's strange, because my problem with them is that all of a sudden when I listen to anything classical or similarly acoustic, they sound totally bloated and less clear and just the overall sound quality isn't that good. They give me the impression of $30-50 headphones at that point.

This is extremely apparent with piano. Comparing the two, you can hear the attack, as well as the development and decay, how the note changes dimension and texture as it decays, so beautifully on the FXT90. On the IM70, you get a fuzzy attack and the decay is much more bland, it just gets quieter. This way, the FXT90 draws you in SO much more and just gives you so much more from the music. It's the same with string instruments, especially violin, which have always sounded buried to me in the IM70s.

So I find myself automatically listening to much less classical and a lot of other stuff. I don't get the same enjoyment I used to out of classical, while I do get more enjoyment out of other things. I still think that the overall sound quality... maybe the word is "imaging" is superior on the FXT90. I may try to sell my IM70s when I get back to the states. Unless anyone in the EU is reading this and wants them
bigsmile_face.gif

These are good, just not for me, and I wouldn't recommend them for classical.

These are just my impressions, listening from ipod classic and FiiO 6 or straight from macbook pro.

May 10, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #432 of 1,104
  So I finally got a chance to do a brief comparison with JVC FXT90s and I want to give my impressions. I owned the FXT90s for about 2 years, loved them very much, then lost them and replaced them with the IM70.

My first impressions of the IM70 were pretty negative, based as a comparison of my memory of the FXT90s. After burn-in (which I'm now starting to doubt) and getting used to the IM70s for a few months, I began to generally really like them. I never got that "in heaven" feeling I had with FXT90s but then I figured that maybe my memory was warped.

Well, I'm sorry to say that a lot of my initial negative thoughts on the IM70 have returned. Objectively speaking, IM70 have a much, much BIGGER sound. When I put the FXT90s in, the initial comparison makes them sound really tinny, treble focused, a little sibilant, and overall smaller sounding. Also, I will say that perhaps for anything in the realm of pop, rock, alternative, electronic, etc., that the IM70s are better suited for that. They have WAYYY more bass and for some reason bring out more clarity in those types of music. It's strange, because my problem with them is that all of a sudden when I listen to anything classical or similarly acoustic, they sound totally bloated and less clear and just the overall sound quality isn't that good. They give me the impression of $30-50 headphones at that point.

This is extremely apparent with piano. Comparing the two, you can hear the attack, as well as the development and decay, how the note changes dimension and texture as it decays, so beautifully on the FXT90. On the IM70, you get a fuzzy attack and the decay is much more bland, it just gets quieter. This way, the FXT90 draws you in SO much more and just gives you so much more from the music. It's the same with string instruments, especially violin, which have always sounded buried to me in the IM70s.

So I find myself automatically listening to much less classical and a lot of other stuff. I don't get the same enjoyment I used to out of classical, while I do get more enjoyment out of other things. I still think that the overall sound quality... maybe the word is "imaging" is superior on the FXT90. I may try to sell my IM70s when I get back to the states. Unless anyone in the EU is reading this and wants them
bigsmile_face.gif

These are good, just not for me, and I wouldn't recommend them for classical.

These are just my impressions, listening from ipod classic and FiiO 6 or straight from macbook pro.

Are you on stock tips on your IM70 or have you already changed to some comfy tips like Sony hybrids or UE tips? I can agree with you that it can sound bloated on classical or some accoustic music unless you change the tips. One other thing to mention; if you really want to get the best of your IM50/70s, you should change the filters to RE0/400 filters as the stock filters are really bad IMO. Just my two cents.

P.s This deserves more than ipod clasic and Fiio E6 and IM50/70s really benefit from amping.

May 10, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #433 of 1,104
Are you on stock tips on your IM70 or have you already changed to some comfy tips like Sony hybrids or UE tips? I can agree with you that it can sound bloated on classical or some accoustic music unless you change the tips. One other thing to mention; if you really want to get the best of your IM50/70s, you should change the filters to RE0/400 filters as the stock filters are really bad IMO. Just my two cents.

P.s This deserves more than ipod clasic and Fiio E6 and IM50/70s really benefit from amping.

could you tell us how to change the filter on the im70's? I'd be interested to try!

May 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #434 of 1,104
could you tell us how to change the filter on the im70's? I'd be interested to try!

Sure, it is very easy. All you need is a needle to remove the filter and then you put your RE0/400 filters on the nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back