Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Mar 16, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #391 of 1,104
  Here are my two cents worth for my findings with my IM70 >50hrs at least.

Bass: Slams hard and very physical, not overblown and does not obscure the mids.
Mids: Very nice, sounds correct to say the least
Treble: rough, it is not the strong point of this IEM to say the least. Lacks air.
Soundstage: Very closed sounding to me compared to say, a CK100
Detail: Not a particularly revealing IEM but clear sounding enough for me, greyish blackground that does not work well with piano recordings in a quiet room. Very forgiving IEM. 

Since the bass and mids integrate well, they work well with to reproduce the electric guitars low notes and growl in Bad Horsie by Steve Vai. You would be hard pressed to find an IEM with such tactile bass(not overblown but with dynamics) 

Nice impressions. I agree with you generally. I don't find the treble rough but I agree they're not this IEM's strong point. Totally agree about piano recordings. They somehow just don't seem to produce a very natural sound with piano. It gets a bit thick and muddy, not open and clear.

For me the soundstage is closed, in a way, which I think is caused by the thickness of the sound, but at the same time it's pretty wide, or large. I don't know if that makes sense.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #392 of 1,104
Check out the awesome bass rumble on these from the organ and deep voices.

http://youtu.be/r4WlNj1TTqA

Throughout the whole album, but especially in the first two tracks and then the last one, particularly the last 10 minutes or so.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #393 of 1,104
Sorry wrong thread.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #394 of 1,104
Hi guys. I will be joining the club. Just ordered IM70 for myself. I have a question, because my girlfriend is tormented between IM70 and Panasonic's RP-HJE900 which can be found in white version. Can you compare them, please.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #396 of 1,104
I ordered them from amazon.co.jp for 10800 yen which is around 105 $ but I bought replacement cord as well. First you need to get registered with tenso.com. It is great shipment forwarding service. It is going to give you japanese address (their warehouse). After that you have to complete amazon.co.jp registration and when you pay to enter the tenso address they provided you with. Tenso are really cheap (http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/fee/index.html)  and there is no way you can find them for cheaper than this combination tenso.com + amazon.co.jp. I hope I was helpful :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #397 of 1,104
  I ordered them from amazon.co.jp for 10800 yen which is around 105 $ but I bought replacement cord as well. First you need to get registered with tenso.com. It is great shipment forwarding service. It is going to give you japanese address (their warehouse). After that you have to complete amazon.co.jp registration and when you pay to enter the tenso address they provided you with. Tenso are really cheap (http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/fee/index.html)  and there is no way you can find them for cheaper than this combination tenso.com + amazon.co.jp. I hope I was helpful :)

Yeah I already use Tenso, thanks for letting me know where you bought it from though 
smile.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #399 of 1,104
i'll be in the game too soon, a friend in Japan ships them directly to me! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #400 of 1,104

I will write out some detailed impressions with specific examples for violin a bit later. Right now I will say that before burn-in these were absolutely awful for violin and as a violinist it was disappointing. Now they have improved a lot and in general are really good. There may still be a slight veil on violin, but I'm not really sure... that could depend on the recording. I'll address that later. 

I will say that specifically with symphonies, where you have a whole violin section as opposed to a solo, they sound fantastic now. In the beginning I swear, it's as if they weren't there. All I heard was a soup of bass and absolutely no articulation or brilliance in the violins. Interestingly, the upper woodwinds (flute, oboe) sounded okay, but not the violins. But now, the bass no longer overpowers them and they are up front with a lot of power and warmth but articulation and clarity as well. And the bass continues to hit hard and deep, but in its right place.

Violin solos and more importantly, solo violin with orchestra, are a different matter and I'll go into detail about those later.

For a violin I really, really like TDK IE800.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #401 of 1,104
do you guys know which (or if) aftermarket cable could fit these? (pinwise i mean.....etc? )

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #403 of 1,104
Planning to buy this soon, but before that is the treble harsh like XBA-30 / W3 / W30? as in prominent and peaky treble, unlike that FXT90 which done great job avoiding the harsh cymbals. I have sensitive ears to that "tizzing" sound, just to let you know. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #404 of 1,104
  Planning to buy this soon, but before that is the treble harsh like XBA-30 / W3 / W30? as in prominent and peaky treble, unlike that FXT90 which done great job avoiding the harsh cymbals. I have sensitive ears to that "tizzing" sound, just to let you know. 

xba30 was far from harsh like the xba3 was. they were very very smooth, a bassy version of xba3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back