Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Feb 20, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #361 of 1,104
Congrats, went with the IM50s and I've heard that the IM70s is a less bassy, more refined version of it with a clearer sound.

You must be referring to the IM50s then. The 70s aren't available at that price.

Edit: Oops, meant to quote this post:

There are tons of sites you can get them for around $65. I ordered them from CDjapan.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #362 of 1,104
Hm, I started using the FiiO E6 with my iPod again and it actually controls the bass quite a lot! Bass isn't so bloated and has a much more natural texture. I noticed the difference and A/Bed to make sure it wasn't my imagination and it definitely isn't. Straight out of the iPod, the bass easily gets out of control and covers up everything and doesn't have a natural timbre. All the other instruments/frequencies are slightly more refined, airy, and spaced apart too with the E6. These are good headphones
etysmile.gif

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #370 of 1,104
As far as for price for performance, what would you say is more worth it as a first purchase? The IM-50s or IM-70s?

That would depend largely on your source as well as what other IEMs do you own. But both models should not be far from apart each other. For me I feel that the subtle difference does not warrant the extra $50.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #371 of 1,104
That would depend largely on your source as well as what other IEMs do you own. But both models should not be far from apart each other. For me I feel that the subtle difference does not warrant the extra $50.

Is it that subtle of a difference? I've been waiting for accessory jack to get the im70 back in stock now as they are cheapest there, but would consider just getting the im50 from cdjapan right now. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #372 of 1,104
Is it that subtle of a difference? I've been waiting for accessory jack to get the im70 back in stock now as they are cheapest there, but would considering just getting the im50 from cdjapan right now. 

Well, everybody hears differently. For me I feel that it is really a subtle difference between the 2 models given the only difference is in the housing. With that, I still heard a slight difference between both but preferred the sound of IM50. For me I actually felt that the bass on IM70 is too much and actually drowns out or smudge the mids slightly although there are differing opinions which says that IM70 is clearer even with the enhanced bass.
So it still boils down to your own listening. :) However I can be pretty sure majority will agree that both models share more similarities than differences.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #373 of 1,104
  As far as for price for performance, what would you say is more worth it as a first purchase? The IM-50s or IM-70s?

They both have same driver, but different housing. Performance is subjective in this case, as some might prefer IM50, some might prefer IM70. They are equally excellent in my view. Therefore, IMHO, IM50 has better value, if like slightly bigger bass.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #374 of 1,104
Well, everybody hears differently. For me I feel that it is really a subtle difference between the 2 models given the only difference is in the housing. With that, I still heard a slight difference between both but preferred the sound of IM50. For me I actually felt that the bass on IM70 is too much and actually drowns out or smudge the mids slightly although there are differing opinions which says that IM70 is clearer even with the enhanced bass.
So it still boils down to your own listening.
smily_headphones1.gif
However I can be pretty sure majority will agree that both models share more similarities than differences.

Interesting that IM70 has more bass than IM50 to you.  Most people have said IM50 has more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back