Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Feb 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #332 of 1,104
  where did you guys buy the IM70? i searched CDJapan and they don't have it anymore.

accessoryjack has it on backorder.  last time i checked CDjapan was running low on their stock so that may explain why you can't find it anymore

of course, if you can't wait you could spend a little more and buy it from ebay/amazon/amazonJP

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #334 of 1,104

Concluding Remarks

Audio Technica have made a remarkable innovation with the ATH-IM70 and its dual symphonic driver, however, I'm quite perplexed by the ATH-IM70 to be honest. Its an excellent IEM and well rounded overall, but the price point at which it is sold at would lead people to believe it is average. It is anything but. With performance that can exceed an old AT flagship, one may as well call the IM70 "Audio Technica's flagship dynamic IEM". A very good value proposition indeed. Highly Recommended.

Great review! Totally agree with you! Don't get fooled by the price, IM50 & IM70 are giant killers 
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #337 of 1,104
IM70 is slightly better in terms of technical abilities, the GR07 BE is close to impossible to beat in terms of Price/Performance ratio.

Both would win the pistons hands-down, unless you are cannot stand wearing your IEM over ears, then the Pistons will win.

You will need to specify a little more details my friend..

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #340 of 1,104
I said this on the IM50/70 thread but I'll say it here too. I wouldn't really recommend these for classical at all. They sound fantastic when I listen to anything that is more processed or less acoustic (all types of rock, electronic, funk, pop, etc.) but then when I listen to anything classical, flamenco, tango, etc. (purely acoustic instruments) I don't get from the music nearly as much as I used to with my now lost FXT90s. Instruments just don't sound natural because the bass frequencies are totally overemphasized and the upper mids are totally veiled. I'm not saying they're not good, just that they're not made for classical music.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #341 of 1,104
  I said this on the IM50/70 thread but I'll say it here too. I wouldn't really recommend these for classical at all. They sound fantastic when I listen to anything that is more processed or less acoustic (all types of rock, electronic, funk, pop, etc.) but then when I listen to anything classical, flamenco, tango, etc. (purely acoustic instruments) I don't get from the music nearly as much as I used to with my now lost FXT90s. Instruments just don't sound natural because the bass frequencies are totally overemphasized and the upper mids are totally veiled. I'm not saying they're not good, just that they're not made for classical music.

You should probably specify what source are you using, since in my DX50 and my Laptop, i can't hear anything "bad" about the 70 and classical music. I actually prefer them over my 262, which were my "classical" headphones...

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #342 of 1,104
You should probably specify what source are you using, since in my DX50 and my Laptop, i can't hear anything "bad" about the 70 and classical music. I actually prefer them over my 262, which were my "classical" headphones...

+1. I prefered it over SF5s and sold it.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #343 of 1,104
IM70s vs. GR07 bass vs. Pistons

Who wins?

Just personal preference, I don't have the pistons. I have GR07BE and IM50, and had IM70 for more than 2 weeks for review.
Comparing GR07BE with IM70, I prefer IM70. IM70 just sounds right to my ears. GR07BE sounds clearer, but doesn't the organic sound and dynamic of the IM50 & IM70. Tonal balance wise, I think IM70 is more balance from bass to treble for various genres. As for vocal alone, IM50 & IM70 are way better than GR07BE which actually also pretty good on vocal.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #344 of 1,104
I use them straight out of my late 2008 MacBook Pro and iPod classic 160gb with mostly lossless files. I have an E6 which opened up my FXT90s with the iPod but I don't hear much difference when using it with the IM70s so I stopped using it for now.

I also use them out of iPhone 4 sometimes but it's always the same: too much bass and veiled upper mids. iPhone 4 is a little better though.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #345 of 1,104
I use them straight out of my late 2008 MacBook Pro and iPod classic 160gb with mostly lossless files. I have an E6 which opened up my FXT90s with the iPod but I don't hear much difference when using it with the IM70s so I stopped using it for now.

I also use them out of iPhone 4 sometimes but it's always the same: too much bass and veiled upper mids. iPhone 4 is a little better though.

If you have the chance, try with HifiMan HM-601 or DACport. The IM50 and IM70 sound clearer, less bassy on those.  But they are still for those who like bass and full bodied mids. Not so for those looking for clear and transparent earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back