Jan 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #301 of 1,104
I posted this in the IM-series thread but I thought I'd post it here too

Looks like AT is releasing some new cables for the IM series: 

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2418

Detachable headphone cable

AT-HDC5/1.2
Open price

In 6N-OFC conductor of sound quality which wore a titanium combination sheath 
exchange headphone cable to achieve high resolution playback.

img_25757.jpg

I adopt the 6N-OFC * conductor thorough pursuit of sound quality. 
Was thoroughly eliminated the impurities, and play a relaxed high frequencies by oxygen-free copper conductor having a purity of 99.9999%.
High-quality sound transmission reduce the fine vibration in high-grade aluminum plug.
Inhibit titanium combination sheath unwanted vibration. 
By blending a titanium sheath, providing high quality playback suppress unnecessary vibration which causes degradation in sound quality.
I realize a solid fit by a flexible wire that can be adjusted along the ear. 
Hold firmly to fit the shape of the ear. I will provide a listening stable environment.
OFC: Oxygen-Free Copper (high purity oxygen-free copper)
detail.png

t_spec.gif

MassAbout 14g
Cable1.2m (Y type)
Plugφ3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini (L-type)
● Compatible modelsATH-IM04, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM01,
 ATH-IM70, ATH-IM50

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #302 of 1,104
RadioShack big bore tips work best for me. Sony tips are short btw.

Auvio tips are my favorite; they're the radioshack tips you're referring to. However, I've tried every size from xs to xl and only the smallest tips will fit comfortable in my ear, but still manages to allow the headphones to slide out. I think I might pick up some Sony Hybrids to see if that helps.

I found that double flange tips boosted the bass. The black one is sony tip.

6ava4u4a.jpg
ygaqe2ah.jpg

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #303 of 1,104
  I posted this in the IM-series thread but I thought I'd post it here too

Looks like AT is releasing some new cables for the IM series: 

http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2418

Detachable headphone cable

AT-HDC5/1.2
Open price

In 6N-OFC conductor of sound quality which wore a titanium combination sheath 
exchange headphone cable to achieve high resolution playback.

img_25757.jpg

I adopt the 6N-OFC * conductor thorough pursuit of sound quality. 
Was thoroughly eliminated the impurities, and play a relaxed high frequencies by oxygen-free copper conductor having a purity of 99.9999%.
High-quality sound transmission reduce the fine vibration in high-grade aluminum plug.
Inhibit titanium combination sheath unwanted vibration. 
By blending a titanium sheath, providing high quality playback suppress unnecessary vibration which causes degradation in sound quality.
I realize a solid fit by a flexible wire that can be adjusted along the ear. 
Hold firmly to fit the shape of the ear. I will provide a listening stable environment.
OFC: Oxygen-Free Copper (high purity oxygen-free copper)
detail.png

t_spec.gif

MassAbout 14g
Cable1.2m (Y type)
Plugφ3.5mm gold-plated stereo mini (L-type)
● Compatible modelsATH-IM04, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM01,
 ATH-IM70, ATH-IM50

Sweet, I think they are releasing an iPhone cable as well? It would be great to have the remote and microphone in the cable too!
etysmile.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #304 of 1,104
Hi guys,

First post here! Got a chance to try out both the IM50s and IM70s. Have to say that the 70s really impressed me with its clarity and soundstage. Bass is not too overpowering, as initially suspected. The 50s on the other hand, are a little underwhelming (for lack of a better word). Not to say that they arent a decent pair of iems for the price, but it pales in comparison to the IM70s.
Only gripe with the IM70s is probably the colour. Would definitely be great if they released a black or clear housing for these. :>

Anyone care to comment how the IM70s match up against the Shure se215s? (Havent had a chance to audition the 215s)

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #305 of 1,104
I was going to do a comparison write up of the IM70 vs the SE215 but there is no contest, the IM70 is superior to the SE215 in every respect
Bass response is quite close but everything else is a wash out
I even prefer the red, just think Italian

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #309 of 1,104
Finally just got these. Did anyone else find them a bit muddy at first? I'm seriously missing some treble slam and detail... snare drums sound pretty lame, consonants on vocals, articulation on piano, and instrument separation with all types of music aren't satisfying me at all. Sound stage is nice and big and bass is good but not tight. I'm using large stock tips right now and I do have a good seal. I'm planning on checking if the store carries some Sony hybrids. Otherwise, is it just lacking burn-in?
Basically, right now my memory of FXT90 is much better in the aspects I just mentioned (except bass and sound stage). I've seen the treble of IM70 described as sparkly on here but right now they're the exact opposite of that...

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #310 of 1,104
  Finally just got these. Did anyone else find them a bit muddy at first? I'm seriously missing some treble slam and detail... snare drums sound pretty lame, consonants on vocals, articulation on piano, and instrument separation with all types of music aren't satisfying me at all. Sound stage is nice and big and bass is good but not tight. I'm using large stock tips right now and I do have a good seal. I'm planning on checking if the store carries some Sony hybrids. Otherwise, is it just lacking burn-in?
Basically, right now my memory of FXT90 is much better in the aspects I just mentioned (except bass and sound stage). I've seen the treble of IM70 described as sparkly on here but right now they're the exact opposite of that...

These definitely need a little burn in time. I had the same experience until I played them for a couple days and got rid of the stock tips.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #311 of 1,104

Give them some time and change the tips asap because they really muddy the sound. You'd better use soft tips with wide bores.

Feb 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #313 of 1,104
Got some hybrids and let them burn in for just a few hours. They're better but still a ways to go to do it for me. I don't think the hybrids are the best tips for me. FXT90 stock large tips were working great for me with the FXT90 but I lost them along with the headphones. I will try to get my hands on my mom's pair since she uses medium.

I like the bass on these. That was what was really lacking for me in the FXT90s, but in every other regard my memory of them was a lot better than these. They just had a beautifully natural, crisp, and slightly airy timbre. So far the IM70s sound "good" but comparatively muffled and congested. The lack of treble sparkle is my main issue. Snare drums sound like "F" instead of "P". Instrument separation, too. I listen to a lot of symphonies, and pieces by Shostakovich, Mahler, Bruckner, etc. are very richly orchestrated and it pretty much sounds like a thick mess most of the time.

I would like to clarify though that despite all these complaints I wouldn't say I'm disappointed... just not completely satisfied. I definitely believe in burn-in though and probably need to find other tips that suit me better. I do remember really liking my FXT90s out of the box, but they got a lot better over time. I never burned them in per se but I used them regularly for almost two years and they had opened and warmed up a lot.

If these tighten up and improve in transparency I'll be really happy because I like their big robust sound. It just gets all muddled up when there's a lot going on. When the music is thinner they sound very good.

For some positive comments: I think they're pretty comfortable and I've experienced basically zero microphonics. Today I walked with them and heard no thudding with my footsteps and the isolation was pretty decent. In between tracks I could hear the outside and it seemed like average/poor isolation but when the music was on at normal levels I didn't hear the outside. They're driven super easily too.

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #314 of 1,104
Ok I've realized that these need an extremely shallow insertion to sound good (as has already been mentioned by some). Because these have a very long nozzle, I guess most regular tips are too short, so inserting them normally means the nozzle goes far too deep, and I think that's why the sound was so muddy. Right now I'm using fxt90 stock medium tips which was better than the hybrids for me, but still pretty muddy until I inserted them as shallow as I could and they are sounding very good right now. Much more space and snap to the trebles. More detail and separation a well. The bass doesn't suffer from this either. It is still great and deep and rumbly but less overpowering and bloated. I think if I get the fxt90 large stock it'll be even better, or something similar. More burn in will help too I'm sure, but they're starting to look really promising! I guess it always just takes a bunch of experimenting with tips, fit, etc., to get the most out of any IEM. I guess I'll continue updating my impressions as they develop.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #315 of 1,104
Hmm that's sort of disappointing. I was hoping these could be an upgrade from my Atrio MG7, but the EPH-100 are said to be lacking in low end extension by comparison, so I guess these would have even less.

What about a comparison of the IM70 to UM3X?

I am also looking a replacement for my atrios from these new phones. But the atrios still reigns in the lower extensions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back