Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #61 of 1,104
+1. Bass does settle down quite a bit from open box. I have about 100 hrs. of burn in so far. Great IEM for the price.

X2

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #64 of 1,104
How do you think these match up with something like the GR-07s

I like to look at it this way: the GR-07 is one of the best 2-D  earphones I'ver ever heard. I popped into my ears last weekend and I was still highly impress with it's sound, but it's only 2-D. The IM70, and a few other universal that are about the same price or cheaper, are fuller sounding 3-D like earphones. So the IM70 has greater instrument separation and space around the instruments. The IM70 is more detailed in the sound too. I would have to say the IM70 beats the GR-07.

Now, today I've been comparing extensively the IM70 and the three-driver hybrid, the DN-1000. This comparing was very interesting as the IM70 sounds a little bit fuller on some tracks than it does through the DN-1K. But after a good two hours of listening, one thing became very clear. The DN-1000 wins hands down in refinement, detail, clarity, layering, and staging of instruments. The IM70 is actually a fairly clear earphone for a dual-dyanmic, but those two BAs in the DN-1K just dig in a little deeper and peels back layers in the music that I just found amazing (and is revealing itself after a good burn-in). Vocals sound more natural in the IM70, but are more detailed and rich in the DN-1K. That's the word I was looking for. The DN-1K presents a richer layered sound in than the Im70.

For example, I was listening to a '70s - '80s r&b group called Cameo. They have a ballad called It's Over. There is a lot of rich acoustic guitar in this song, and the DN-1K renders the guitar plucking so beautifully. The IM70, on the other hand, masks the acoustic guitar somewhat behind the bass (although the bass has settled down significantly). Yes, you can hear the acoustic guitar with the IM70, but the DN-1K gives the guitar ti's own space. The DN-1K does the same for electric guitars too. It tends to push the guitars forward somewhat and gives this particular instrument it's own space with lots of air around it. The bass is beautiful and stays in its place. 

So, while I still think the IM70 is a great bang-for-the-buck, for about $80 more you get a richer more detailed and clear DN-1000 hybrid. I feel like I am discovering that earphone all over again. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #65 of 1,104

I like to look at it this way: the GR-07 is one of the best 2-D  earphones I'ver ever heard. I popped into my ears last weekend and I was still highly impress with it's sound, but it's only 2-D. The IM70, and a few other universal that are about the same price or cheaper, are fuller sounding 3-D like earphones. So the IM70 has greater instrument separation and space around the instruments. The IM70 is more detailed in the sound too. I would have to say the IM70 beats the GR-07.

Now, today I've been comparing extensively the IM70 and the three-driver hybrid, the DN-1000. This comparing was very interesting as the IM70 sounds a little bit fuller on some tracks than it does through the DN-1K. But after a good two hours of listening, one thing became very clear. The DN-1000 wins hands down in refinement, detail, clarity, layering, and staging of instruments. The IM70 is actually a fairly clear earphone for a dual-dyanmic, but those two BAs in the DN-1K just dig in a little deeper and peels back layers in the music that I just found amazing (and is revealing itself after a good burn-in). Vocals sound more natural in the IM70, but are more detailed and rich in the DN-1K. That's the word I was looking for. The DN-1K presents a richer layered sound in than the Im70.

For example, I was listening to a '70s - '80s r&b group called Cameo. They have a ballad called It's Over. There is a lot of rich acoustic guitar in this song, and the DN-1K renders the guitar plucking so beautifully. The IM70, on the other hand, masks the acoustic guitar somewhat behind the bass (although the bass has settled down significantly). Yes, you can hear the acoustic guitar with the IM70, but the DN-1K gives the guitar ti's own space. The DN-1K does the same for electric guitars too. It tends to push the guitars forward somewhat and gives this particular instrument it's own space with lots of air around it. The bass is beautiful and stays in its place. 

So, while I still think the IM70 is a great bang-for-the-buck, for about $80 more you get a richer more detailed and clear DN-1000 hybrid. I feel like I am discovering that earphone all over again. 

How do you rate the KEF M200 against the DUNU and the GR07??

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #66 of 1,104
Already written extensively on M200. It's best out of all of these mentioned.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #67 of 1,104
Already written extensively on M200. It's best out of all of these menti
oned.

This makes my recent purchase of the KEF M200 as my go to dynamic all the more confident that I made a valuable and informed decision.

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #70 of 1,104

Hopefully, you won't have any fit issues. If you have no issues with fit, you'll be rewarded with great sound.

X2

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #75 of 1,104
My fiancee is being forced to spend all her time with her parents, who have banned me from their house, tomorrow therefore we're doing Christmas today. Which means I finally get to listen to the IM70's full time instead of just sneaking passing listens behind her back. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back