Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction
Dec 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 1,104
I think the effects of output impedance are much exaggerated around here and the DX50 is very low in real terms. An impedance adapter doesn't raise the impedance of the headphones it actually increases the output impedance of the amp. 2c

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 1,104
  I think the effects of output impedance are much exaggerated around here and the DX50 is very low in real terms. An impedance adapter doesn't raise the impedance of the headphones it actually increases the output impedance of the amp. 2c

Well from the point of view of the headphone yes, output impedance will be 70-ish ohms, but from the point of view of the amplifier (that is 0.7 or so ohms) it will have to drive abot 80 ohms.  what would be considered the "best way" of increasing the impedance? does it matter if the impedance comes from 1 meter away up the chain or near the output ? 

sorry, I have no idea how this works so I'm trying to understand it myself.

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 1,104

Well from the point of view of the headphone yes, output impedance will be 70-ish ohms, but from the point of view of the amplifier (that is 0.7 or so ohms) it will have to drive abot 80 ohms.  what would be considered the "best way" of increasing the impedance? does it matter if the impedance comes from 1 meter away up the chain or near the output ? 

sorry, I have no idea how this works so I'm trying to understand it myself.

An amp with 0.7 ohms output impedance will have no repeat NO negative effect on a 10Ohm earphone like the im70 so no adapter needed
I will not get too deep into science as this is not the place but the resistance of the voice coil itself and the resistance of a resistor in the line have different outcomes in terms of driver interaction with an amp

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #19 of 1,104
  An amp with 0.7 ohms output impedance will have no repeat NO negative effect on a 10Ohm earphone like the im70 so no adapter needed
I will not get too deep into science as this is not the place but the resistance of the voice coil itself and the resistance of a resistor in the line have different outcomes in terms of driver interaction with an amp

I guess I need to read some science stuff :D thanks for the reply

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 1,104

Okay, I will have to check this when I get home (against the CKS1000), but right off the back I have to say I haven't heard an AT iem with a sound this full! This is FULL!! Wonderful height and weight. And it's fuller than the CKM500, but not as syrupy and muddy as the CKM500 is. Plenty of bass and forward mids. The highs there but don't standout as much as the bass and mids to my ears. But the highs are there and its definitely adding clarity to the sound. These sound fantastic out of the box, but I'm expecting so much more from this BIG sound with burn-in. Strings are very full sound (thus living up to "Symphonic" drivers). I'm listening through the DX50. One minute I'm a JVC fanboy, but AT has really fought hard as of late to make me appreciate its sound in universal IEMs. I couldn't see AT downgrading its sound even if it lowered its prices on some of its new releases. Well, AT doesn't disappoint here. The IM70 shoots above its MSRP.

By the way, the DX50 drives this earphone just fine!

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #21 of 1,104

Okay, I will have to check this when I get home (against the CKS1000), but right off the back I have to say I haven't heard an AT iem with a sound this full! This is FULL!! Wonderful height and weight. And it's fuller than the CKM500, but not as syrupy and muddy as the CKM500 is. Plenty of bass and forward mids. The highs there but don't standout as much as the bass and mids to my ears. But the highs are there and its definitely adding clarity to the sound. These sound fantastic out of the box, but I'm expecting so much more from this BIG sound with burn-in. Strings are very full sound (thus living up to "Symphonic" drivers). I'm listening through the DX50. One minute I'm a JVC fanboy, but AT has really fought hard as of late to make me appreciate its sound in universal IEMs. I couldn't see AT downgrading its sound even if it lowered its prices on some of its new releases. Well, AT doesn't disappoint here. The IM70 shoots above its MSRP.

By the way, the DX50 drives this earphone just fine!

:beerchug:

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 1,104
  Now I don't know if a made the right choice buying the CKX9 instead of the IM70. What AT was thinking launching this things at similar price and shortly after ?

AT most likely had dual symphonic drivers down in the pipeline for quite a while and are releasing as soon as possible for traction in the market. Whilst similarly priced, the IM70 is not meant to compete with the CKX9 with the latter focused more for active (sporty) lifestyles.

But I agree, I am completely dumbfounded by the price of IM70's.
basshead.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #26 of 1,104
  Now I don't know if a made the right choice buying the CKX9 instead of the IM70. What AT was thinking launching this things at similar price and shortly after ?

Well probably the most important thing would be the isolation and wearing style. If you wanted good isolation it seems the CKX can't give it while the IM70 can.
You definitely have the better accessories(esp. the zip case which toasts the IM70's pouch)...
bet
images

Based on Eric's IM70/CKS1000 impressions and the early CKX9 impressions, the 9 is much like a less bassy CKS1000 and the sound would seem some of both the more balanced and mid-forward IM70 which still has the throwing some instruments out of the head trait of the CKS. I'm trying to get one and if so maybe Eric will loan me his IM's to compare
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #27 of 1,104

Well probably the most important thing would be the isolation and wearing style. If you wanted good isolation it seems the CKX can't give it while the IM70 can.
You definitely have the better accessories(esp. the zip case which toasts the IM70's pouch)...
bet
images

Based on Eric's IM70/CKS1000 impressions and the early CKX9 impressions, the 9 is much like a less bassy CKS1000 and the sound would seem some of both the more balanced and mid-forward IM70 which still has the throwing some instruments out of the head trait of the CKS. I'm trying to get one and if so maybe Eric will loan me his IM's to compare
smily_headphones1.gif

I would really appreciate the comparison, thank you!

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #29 of 1,104

here's a really interesting video on audio technicas new offerings, including the im70. I understood about 70-80% of what these dudes said so if a Japanese speaker is so kind as to translate what they said, people here, including me,  will be really grateful :)

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #30 of 1,104

here's a really interesting video on audio technicas new offerings, including the im70. I understood about 70-80% of what these dudes said so if a Japanese speaker is so kind as to translate what they said, people here, including me,  will be really grateful :)

Haha, understanding 70-80% is great. All I gathered from my quick skim of the long video, was that it was a short review of each product and comparisons with each other. Interesting nonetheless.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back