Audio-Technica ATH-ES55 Mod
Dec 11, 2011 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

imtn

New Head-Fier
Hello audio purist, first time poster in search of some advice and suggestions. I am mod addict and had some headphones laying around that long pass their return date that I wasn't happy with and decided to make a frankinphone out of them.

My current equipment that rotate use around are Sennheiser HD 558 and Shure SE 530.

This venture actually started when my Shure SE 530's sound was cutting from the left earphone so I decided it was time to recable them. Bought some cables rewired them, because I use the Shure MPA-3c adapter for mic and remote control, I had cut the cable shorter. I am left with extra cable and an itch for tweet and mod. (My recable venture taught a lot about the SE530 so for people that are interested for instructions, suggestions, comment and I'll post up my findings and results). 

My mod itch:

Sony MDR XB500
Audio-Technica ATH-ES55
Shure SE530 Recycled cable

Both the XB500 and ATH-ES55 had 40mm drivers in them, I was really hoping that it would an easy open and swap; I was wrong. XB500's driver housing had tabs to keep the drivers in place which increased its diameter. Determined, I cut off the tabs and modded the ATH-ES55's housing to accept the larger driver housing.

Shure SE530 came into play when I realized that the cable was perfectly fine.......... it was the Shure MPA-3c adapter that was culprit for the signal cuts. Now you may think that I must be slightly challenge mentally, I assure you that I am slightly but this time I wasn't. I tested the stock SE520 left earphone cable and found that taping the left stopped the signal cuts, therefore I came to conclusion that I needed new cables. After the recabling, plugged in, being quite happy with the results sitting down, got up for a walk, left earphones was still cutting; I was pissed. Anyways that's why I recycled my perfectly fine SE530 cables.

Now for the results of my labor, ATH-ES55 XB500 SE530. The XB500's low end is still retained in the ATH-ES55 housing, mids are brighter, the highs are too bright. I was surprised how bright the highs got, and that's where I hope years of experience from the community could help me adjust this problem. I added foam to try to dampen the high; somewhat worked but still piercing my ears. I would love to find ways to balance these frankinphones. Please help what should I try or do from here?

Another goal that I have is to improve, create soundstage any suggestions? The ATH-ES55 housing is very tight with little space to work with. I was thinking of making new cups and somewhat simulate the characteristics of the XB500 cups. I am a newb... and still haven't invested in an amp. My perceived sound sigs are base off an iphone, and mbox audio interface.

With all the new equipment that I bought for this project I am planning to build some headphones from scratch (heatgun, soldering iron, TONS of soldering wire, 3.5mm male and female adapters, an amazing tool kit that I purchased from Winners for $10).

May 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi I need to rewire my shure se 530 I am new to this and could do with all the help I can get could you please let me have any advice you have from doing yours which cable did you use and how to ect thank you very much Kevin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back