Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Mar 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #766 of 1,068
I remember he even state that Hi-res can't be sound any better than 44.1khz, no comment.

THE FIRST AND COMMON KNOWLEDGE IN PRO WORLD, is that decent pro gear is very depending on source, whenever is cheap or expensive, a good monitor will reveal the bad part of it,

with my iPod classic E70 sound beautiful though.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #767 of 1,068
I don't know why everyone's talking about the E70 as a neutral IEM. It was quite bassy, mids a bit too much recessed, only the treble was quite neutral.
It was actually the only IEM I couldn't listen to long enough because I felt the mids in comparison to the bass too much recessed.
Definitely not the typical ATH house sound but not flat either. For studio use I would not recommend these. Considering the bass reduction on stage then it could be refered to as almost neutral.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #768 of 1,068
I don't know why everyone's talking about the E70 as a neutral IEM. It was quite bassy, mids a bit too much recessed, only the treble was quite neutral.
It was actually the only IEM I couldn't listen to long enough because I felt the mids in comparison to the bass too much recessed.
Definitely not the typical ATH house sound but not flat either. For studio use I would not recommend these. Considering the bass reduction on stage then it could be refered to as almost neutral.

Neutrality is always controversial, our ears respond differently to certain frequencies and then our brain decode in different ways. Even studio monitors from different brands do not sound similar. In the end everyone has to try the own ears to know what's good for their listening and what's good for their mixing/performance.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #769 of 1,068
I'm expecting more balanced sound signature from the e70 rather than neutral.
I have LS200 which should be the most neutral IEM from AT but still it's not at the level of etymotic.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #770 of 1,068
I absolutely adore the E70's and haven't heard a more fun IEM to date.

Bass feels nice when called upon, perhaps a little loose at times. Vocals stand out nicely though not quite to the RE-ZERO/RE-00 style that I adore. And both speed and detail are simply phenomenal, distracting me with an instrument I'd never quite heard before because of one limitation or another.

I'm looking for a second cable, one with a mic. Not aiming for perfection but something passable so that I can use it with my phone for those occasions where my Fiio X1 is not appropriate.

And I need to find me some more FLAC-like sources :k

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #772 of 1,068
Does amping help?
I'm planning to pair them with 150 mW per channel via balanced termination. 

As I don't own a dedicated amp I cannot comment.

The E70 doesn't seem to suffer from a lack of power offered by my 1st gen X1.

I haven't tested it with my phone (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium).

I might hook them up to my Denon AVRX2000 at the weekend.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #774 of 1,068
I absolutely adore the E70's and haven't heard a more fun IEM to date.

Bass feels nice when called upon, perhaps a little loose at times. Vocals stand out nicely though not quite to the RE-ZERO/RE-00 style that I adore. And both speed and detail are simply phenomenal, distracting me with an instrument I'd never quite heard before because of one limitation or another.

I'm looking for a second cable, one with a mic. Not aiming for perfection but something passable so that I can use it with my phone for those occasions where my Fiio X1 is not appropriate.

And I need to find me some more FLAC-like sources :k

"
Bass feels nice when called upon, perhaps a little loose at times."

the e70 is extremely technical and very source dependant.  So when bass sounds loose thats either the song or the source.  Try the vmoda bliss with them.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #776 of 1,068
"

Bass feels nice when called upon, perhaps a little loose at times."

the e70 is extremely technical and very source dependant.  So when bass sounds loose thats either the song or the source.  Try the vmoda bliss with them.

As most of the music I have on my X1 is live music and encoded in FLAC. Likely a bit of loose bass that goes hand in hand with wailing guitars, heavy metal and beer.

I'll skip on the V-Moda stuff (bad experiences with the company/products) and stick with my Spinfits and stock tips. Maybe I'll give the Comply's a whirl later.

Probably not even chalked up 10 hours with these yet.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #777 of 1,068
As most of the music I have on my X1 is live music and encoded in FLAC. Likely a bit of loose bass that goes hand in hand with wailing guitars, heavy metal and beer.

I'll skip on the V-Moda stuff (bad experiences with the company/products) and stick with my Spinfits and stock tips. Maybe I'll give the Comply's a whirl later.

Me too!  I had a horrible experience with vmoda's iem.  Seems like they spend a ton on marketing and less of the budget on research and development.  However, the tips are only $5 and they sound the absolute best on the e70.

Actually, i discovered the tips by mistake because of the iem i hated so much.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #778 of 1,068

btw spinfit is known for tightening the highs not that good with bass.  Also try the spiral dot tips to tighten the bass.  But my favorite for highs and bass is the $5 vmoda bliss.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #779 of 1,068
Me too!  I had a horrible experience with vmoda's iem.  Seems like they spend a ton on marketing and less of the budget on research and development.  However, the tips are only $5 and they sound the absolute best on the e70.

Actually, i discovered the tips by mistake because of the iem i hated so much.

btw spinfit is known for tightening the highs not that good with bass.  Also try the spiral dot tips to tighten the bass.  But my favorite for highs and bass is the $5 vmoda bliss.

Unfortunately I'd have to pay about $25 to get my hands on some BLISS 3.0's. No UK supplier and it's about $25 for the low end V-Moda IEM's.

The Spinfits cost me closer to the $5 so I'm not going to complain.

Plus, I am enjoying the level and quality of bass with the stock tips and Spinfits, and the fit is reasonable too. The looser bass, no matter where it comes from in the instances I hear it is fun and conducive to my overall enjoyment.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #780 of 1,068
Unfortunately I'd have to pay about $25 to get my hands on some BLISS 3.0's. No UK supplier and it's about $25 for the low end V-Moda IEM's.

The Spinfits cost me closer to the $5 so I'm not going to complain.

Plus, I am enjoying the level and quality of bass with the stock tips and Spinfits, and the fit is reasonable too. The looser bass, no matter where it comes from in the instances I hear it is fun and conducive to my overall enjoyment.

Cool what about spiral dots?  they make a really big difference with bass http://amzn.to/2lO2QMn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back