Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Mar 7, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #751 of 1,068
Just got the E40 after deciding between it and the LS70/50. The LS IEMs are warmer and bassier (the LS50 being more mid-bass focused and the LS-70 having more sub-bass). The E40 seems a bit more intimate  with airy treble, and is similar to the M50x in some ways but not as much shimmer in the highs.

I also bought the 1More Triple Driver recently - I think it has considerably higher resolution while not being quite as airy or bassy.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #752 of 1,068
1.) If someone has the ATH-E70 can you please chime in on how the Spinfit and Spiral Dot tips affect the sound signature.

2.) Also if someone Tried the HDC313 Upgrade cable with ATH-E70 please give your impressions.

I'm looking into making these upgrades. Thanks guys

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #753 of 1,068
  1.) If someone has the ATH-E70 can you please chime in on how the Spinfit and Spiral Dot tips affect the sound signature.

2.) Also if someone Tried the HDC313 Upgrade cable with ATH-E70 please give your impressions.

I'm looking into making these upgrades. Thanks guys

There have been discussions regarding tips (including comply, spinfit and spiral dots) the last several pages, you should try reading the last ten pages :D

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #756 of 1,068
To clarify my question, I've read that the spiral dots will bring more bass and detail (increase loudness) to one headphone, but on another headphone it made the vocals and mids stood out more but didn't improve the bass.

I've been reading on here and all over the internet, and I've also heard that sometimes it can really change the sound signature of an IEM. I even heard someone said that the Spinfit made his IEM's more V-Shaped (rather than neutral and flat) and Too crisp on the highs. Then others said that their experience made it better by leaps and bounds and stayed true to the sound signature (It just enhanced everything).

This thread was speaking about the effects that it had on the E40 but no one ever gave input on the E70.

There aren't many reviews or insight on the ATH-E70's on the internet, especially when it comes to modding them (upgrade cables, and tips).

This is the reason why i'm asking all Head-fi'ers (who has the ATH-E70):

1.) How does the Audio Technica E70 Sound with the Spinfit (what changes are made to the sound signature)?
2.) How does the Audio Technica E70 Sound with the JVC Spiral Dots (What changes are made to the sound signature)?
3.) Has anyone used a upgraded cable on the ATH-E70? If so can you please give your impressions.

PS. Thanks LIng Vu for your quick response though, I really appreciate you trying to point me in the right direction.

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #757 of 1,068
Do not notice the sound signature change btw tips, but feel more comfortable and seal with spin fit.
I think the stock cable on e70 is pretty good and doubt it would have improvements at this level...

The most difference I feel is actually the source impedence. I feel the treble increases as the source impedence decreases. I have Sony dej915 cd, ibasso d10 and m9xx. Switching from CD player direct output, ibasso and then m9xx, the treble increases. Better to spend money there.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #758 of 1,068
  Just got the E40 after deciding between it and the LS70/50. The LS IEMs are warmer and bassier (the LS50 being more mid-bass focused and the LS-70 having more sub-bass). The E40 seems a bit more intimate  with airy treble, and is similar to the M50x in some ways but not as much shimmer in the highs.

I also bought the 1More Triple Driver recently - I think it has considerably higher resolution while not being quite as airy or bassy.

So....Can you confirm that 1More Tripple Driver is Upgrade from ATH-E40 ? as well 1More maintain a Neutral Signature ?  

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #759 of 1,068
So....Can you confirm that 1More Tripple Driver is Upgrade from ATH-E40 ? as well 1More maintain a Neutral Signature ?  

The E40 is more fun and has deeper bass while the 1More is more neutral but it has a certain midrange peak which can sound sibilant and my right ear is more sensitive to it unless I fiddle around with the seal. I prefer the over ear negative fit of the E40 and removable cables but stock replacement cables don't seem to be common.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #760 of 1,068
To my ears E70 are superior to e40 in EVERY ASPECT, what a stunning beautiful sound.

But I guess the most well-tuned flat tone is not for everyone.

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #762 of 1,068
To be fair E70 is design for pro and monitoring purpose.

Is not gonna give you an EXTREME BASS, Mid-centric sound, Unnatural Sweet Vocal, Super Sparkly Treble, Overly wide soundstage nor Color sound.

But instead is give you a Well-define Bass, Clear Mid, Beautiful Sweet Vocal, Detailed Treble, Precious positioned, Lovely soundstage and of course it sound FLAT.

So e70 is not your typical Music lover phone that sound color but is a PRO monitoring level and the finest well-tuned monitor sound offer by ATH so far.   

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #763 of 1,068
I remember Lachlan saying in his review he was eventually rather disappointed with the E70. The question lies in is whether they are meant to be used as stage monitors or studio monitors. Some musicians prefer stage monitors tuned for drums or bass and others for vocals, while studio monitors aren't necessarily flat or neutral.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #764 of 1,068
  I remember Lachlan saying in his review he was eventually rather disappointed with the E70. T

His source is iphone if I'm not mistaking, so I cannot take it seriously.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #765 of 1,068
  To be fair E70 is design for pro and monitoring purpose.

To me the real true studio monitoring reference is ER4SR.

I ordered the E70 today knowing that it has much more bass than the ety, let's see.
Sometimes for some genres/tracks I need more bass than SR can produce but it should not be too much bass..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back