Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Oct 18, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #661 of 1,068
  Have you changed something to get a better fit?  What tips are you using?

I haven't changed anything. I just tried to adjust the earphone's orientation with the cable connectors slightly angled higher than the first time i fitted them. I am using the smallest stock tips. One thing to note though, after around 2 hours of listening, the fit started to feel somewhat uncomfortable (felt like the tips were pressing hard on my ear). That's just a minor gripe, but the thing is, I got the sound signature that I was looking for. I'll try and replace them with Comply or SpinFit this weekend. Hopefully that'll address that issue. 

HTH

By the way, I have a question regarding the E40's impedance. I'm eying to get the X5ii this weekend, and I've noticed that the recommended impedance is 16-150 ohm, whereas the E40 has a 12 ohm impedance. Is it ok to use the E40 on X5ii? If it is, what will I be missing for using such a lower impedance IEM with the X5ii?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #662 of 1,068
One thing I have found is that the E70 respond really well to some light EQ. I love the perfectly balanced stock sound 90% of the time, but a little low end boost turns them into near-basshead phones without sacrificing soundstage, separation, or bass quality. Fun for when you're on a noisy train or want a little extra thump on Four Tet or John Roberts. Very versatile in a way I did not find the Nova.

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #666 of 1,068

By the way, I have a question regarding the E40's impedance. I'm eying to get the X5ii this weekend, and I've noticed that the recommended impedance is 16-150 ohm, whereas the E40 has a 12 ohm impedance. Is it ok to use the E40 on X5ii? If it is, what will I be missing for using such a lower impedance IEM with the X5ii?

I got a E40 with X5ii, it works great. No problem for me regarding impedance. And for my ears, doesn't seems to have any significant different with Hi Gain Low Vol or Lo Gain Hi Vol on the X5ii.

Oct 26, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #667 of 1,068
Got some Comply TSX500 for my E40s. Comfort and isolation has definitely improved.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Tapatalk

I just tried a pair of Comply and they help to keep the earpieces in. I have a problem with the right side not quite keeping the seal. The left not so much of a problem. I've been using Sony Hybrid Med or Large. 

Anyone know if the SpinFit are a major improvement over the Hybrids? 

I'm still contemplating sending these back if they won't stay in. I wanted something for music listening but also something for practicing drums. Moving my head is a no no with anything other than the Complys it seems. And they do reduce the bass output on bass heavy tracks.

I REALLY do like the sound signature of the E40 so I would prefer to keep them.

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #669 of 1,068
  Will the sony hybrid eartips (fake ones ) fit on the e40 nozzle  with some strech ?

Not sure how different the fake ones are from the real ones but the real ones fit perfectly fine. They go on with a little effort but stay on with no problems.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #670 of 1,068
I went looking for a new set of IEM's for my daily commute. So off I went to the local Audio Technica shop after reading everything on the IM50/70, IM1/2/3/4 and the E40/50/70

So I tried out the E40, 50 and 70 at the local stockist here in Singapore. I agree with everyone who stated that the engineer who was responsible for the fit should be fired. They fit Terrible. I spent about 40 minutes comparing them with my Audio Technica BKS77 (Dual Symphonic drivers) in collaboration between AT and BIG (HIfi chain in Japan)
I tried them out with my Iphone 6 plus with the iaudiogate player app using WAV files from HDTrack and CD Rip Wav (Larry/RobbenFord)
Test tracks
1. JD Souther - Natural History - New Kid in Town
2. Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles - Love or Money
3. Four Play - Fourplay - After the Dance
4. Larry Carlton and Robben Ford - I Put A spell on you
Below are some personal views (No flaming please)

I agree with many of the views expressed by many in this forum that they are NOT consumer sound character. But my problem is that if you listen music as a consumer in anywhere except in a sound studio then it has to be fun? I did not find them to be enjoyable in any way.
E40 was colored and really not worth my time of the day
E50 - better but really still not good enough
E70 - Now we are talking about an improvement. Definitely more refined than the E40 and E50.- So I decided to focus on hearing the E70's.

E70
The sound is more delicate - it is what I think a sound engineer would like to hear for mixing and sound balancing. Sound stage was good, good ambience and decay especially on the Joni Mitchell live track Love or Money. (I have the LP from way back and on my T/T system the sound stage is just great). 
The bass is a bit of the problem - when Joni Mitchell's band the LA Express kicks off the intro bars of the song, the weight of the kick drum and bass guitar just did not have enough weight for me. 
EQ was on about 2.7db at 32Hz, 2.5db at 64Hz 1.8 at 125Hz, 1.5db at 250Hz, and 1db at 500Hz, 0.5db at 1k  with a slight slope to -0.5 db at 16k (Gain was at -1.5 db to prevent clipping and overload)--- and the bass was still not enjoyable enough for my tastes ( I am a not a basshead but music on the travel - if there is no bass - the music is just not fun for my tastes)

Treble - Shimmer of the hi-hat, guitars and sax was good, not bright at all.
Mid- Joni's voice - expressive and this comes across well.
Sound stage - Good
Decay and ambience - Good but with the bass flat/neutral (not bloated) is not fun enough for my tastes
Another example is the Larry Coryell and Robben Ford "I put a Spell on You \" Weight of the bass guitar on the left channel at the opening bars just did not have enough weight and the decay was not pronounced enough for my tastes.

I did quick swapping between my ATH-BKS77 with the E40/50 and E70 as a quick and dirty comparison. The E70 especially had to have a higher volume setting - not as efficient as my BKS77's (they are not as bassy and have better treble and sound stagin as the IM50 which i have also - if that gives a reference where they stand in the AT IEM range)

Just a quick set of comments to share with everyone. In my opinion the E series must be used in quiet environments with good fitting tips. To my tastes (My tastes) the sound is too neutral and not warm enough - the Enjoyment factor quotient ---not high enough in my book. Think i should say sorry to any fans/owners in this forum for any comments above. Thanks  

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #671 of 1,068
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-67397

and...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOACS-67396

will be out soon enough for your E series or CKR/S or LS phones !
happy_face1.gif

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #672 of 1,068
  I went looking for a new set of IEM's for my daily commute. So off I went to the local Audio Technica shop after reading everything on the IM50/70, IM1/2/3/4 and the E40/50/70

So I tried out the E40, 50 and 70 at the local stockist here in Singapore. I agree with everyone who stated that the engineer who was responsible for the fit should be fired. They fit Terrible. I spent about 40 minutes comparing them with my Audio Technica BKS77 (Dual Symphonic drivers) in collaboration between AT and BIG (HIfi chain in Japan)
I tried them out with my Iphone 6 plus with the iaudiogate player app using WAV files from HDTrack and CD Rip Wav (Larry/RobbenFord)
Test tracks
1. JD Souther - Natural History - New Kid in Town
2. Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles - Love or Money
3. Four Play - Fourplay - After the Dance
4. Larry Carlton and Robben Ford - I Put A spell on you
Below are some personal views (No flaming please)

I agree with many of the views expressed by many in this forum that they are NOT consumer sound character. But my problem is that if you listen music as a consumer in anywhere except in a sound studio then it has to be fun? I did not find them to be enjoyable in any way.
E40 was colored and really not worth my time of the day
E50 - better but really still not good enough
E70 - Now we are talking about an improvement. Definitely more refined than the E40 and E50.- So I decided to focus on hearing the E70's.

E70
The sound is more delicate - it is what I think a sound engineer would like to hear for mixing and sound balancing. Sound stage was good, good ambience and decay especially on the Joni Mitchell live track Love or Money. (I have the LP from way back and on my T/T system the sound stage is just great). 
The bass is a bit of the problem - when Joni Mitchell's band the LA Express kicks off the intro bars of the song, the weight of the kick drum and bass guitar just did not have enough weight for me. 
EQ was on about 2.7db at 32Hz, 2.5db at 64Hz 1.8 at 125Hz, 1.5db at 250Hz, and 1db at 500Hz, 0.5db at 1k  with a slight slope to -0.5 db at 16k (Gain was at -1.5 db to prevent clipping and overload)--- and the bass was still not enjoyable enough for my tastes ( I am a not a basshead but music on the travel - if there is no bass - the music is just not fun for my tastes)

Treble - Shimmer of the hi-hat, guitars and sax was good, not bright at all.
Mid- Joni's voice - expressive and this comes across well.
Sound stage - Good
Decay and ambience - Good but with the bass flat/neutral (not bloated) is not fun enough for my tastes
Another example is the Larry Coryell and Robben Ford "I put a Spell on You \" Weight of the bass guitar on the left channel at the opening bars just did not have enough weight and the decay was not pronounced enough for my tastes.

I did quick swapping between my ATH-BKS77 with the E40/50 and E70 as a quick and dirty comparison. The E70 especially had to have a higher volume setting - not as efficient as my BKS77's (they are not as bassy and have better treble and sound stagin as the IM50 which i have also - if that gives a reference where they stand in the AT IEM range)

Just a quick set of comments to share with everyone. In my opinion the E series must be used in quiet environments with good fitting tips. To my tastes (My tastes) the sound is too neutral and not warm enough - the Enjoyment factor quotient ---not high enough in my book. Think i should say sorry to any fans/owners in this forum for any comments above. Thanks  

That makes sence , about these IEMs . What would you recommend for something better than the E40 (maybe warmer as you describe ) for listening , with good build quality , sub 100$ ? would any non push-pull driver iem sound better than those E40s for that price , even with them being made for monitoring  not listening ?  ATH-CKS990iS maybe ?
I ordered the e40 instead of ordering SE215 ( picking my first iem ) with no dedicated source . today i found out that  my order didn't even proceed (shipment problems ) . so it seems i have a second chance to pick an iem again .

Oct 31, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #673 of 1,068
It's been a year and half since I got new headphones (Vsonic VSD5). For some odd reason I randomly googled Audio Technica (must have been my inner audio junkie!) 

One thing lead to another, found this thread, and I am specifically interested about the E40s, especially after reading posts like:

Quote:
  So after giving the E40s ample burn-in and listening time, I've come to one conclusion: the E40, once fully burned-in, sounds just like the CKR9LTD. There's virtually no distinguishable difference as far as my ears could tell. Which means the E40 is a FANTASTIC value, no way you can go wrong with this. Just make sure to swap out the stock tips for a better tip like Spiral Dots.

Thus, I won't be writing a review for it, as you can read the existing CKR9LTD reviews to get a good idea of how the E40 sound like (this review is a good example). Might be selling my E40s soon in preparation for CKR90/CKR100 (which I have very high hopes for).

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

I was really interested in the CKR line of headphones when they came out and was curious about the dual phase push pull driver technology. In the end, I was pretty content with what I had at the time and found the CKR line all a bit too expensive "just try out", plus I prefer over the ear designs. 

Can anyone here compare the E40 to Vsonic GR07,VSD3/5? The VSD5 is actually a terrific IEM and I really appreciate it's capabilities (especially sound stage) for the cheapish price I paid. That said, I wouldn't mind a new out and about IEM and the E40 looks really sharp :p 

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #674 of 1,068
The E series is a good IEM series especially the E70 but the entire earphone assembly is shaped funny. the leg is a bit short so if the tip does not fit perfectly, the sound is badly affected. As it was a demo piece, I did not press the stockist sales rep to fit me up with the exact tip. So i pressed it into my ear and helped it stay in place with my fingers. Not ideal!. Still I reckon the bass even for the E70 is set as flat or neutral. If there is bassy noise in the environment ( for my daily train and bus rides) the sound won't be good enough. So it is for "Monitoring use". 
To your question, I have used the CKS 90, ( that I call the traditional Audio technica sound) - Grew out of it.
Tested the IM series extensively when I was in Japan over 2 holiday trips. - ie IM01, IM02, IM03 and recently at the Spore AT Stockist the IM04
Also tested the IM70, IM50 in Japan extensively.
Surprising even as I was willing to pay more for the IM02 or IM03, their sound signature did not suit my taste
I found the IM70 and IM50 suits my music more (which is Jazz - all sub-genres, Blues, Blue Grass, Country, Classic Rock, Audiophile HD Track and DSD64, DSD128)
So anything from FourPlay, Chris Botti, Herbie Hancock, Eric Clapton, Alison Krauss and her band, Miles Davies, Chesky label downloads, etc)

I would recommend you try out the IM50 and IM70.IM50 is bassy and a bit bloated with leak through to the lower mids. But it is a fun IEM. 
I came upon the BKS77 as it was offered as a store special by BIG Hifi chain store in Tokyo - i think it is an adaptation of the iM50 with tuning done specially for BIG, Flatter bass - but still good and with impact, flatter mids, and slightly more refined treble. I swopped the cable (with the stupid Iphone microphone) with a better 6n OCC cable - sounds so much more refined and clear)

So I bought the IM50 and the BKS77.

IM70 is more balanced. Try that and if you cannot try before you buy, stick with the IM50 - you can always download the iAudiogate music player which has a very good neutral sound, transparent (it can do up to 24/192kHz as well as DSD64, and DSD128 if you have a matching DAC - I use the iDSD Micro with the Canon camera kit and Apple 6plus to upconvert to higher than 44.1 or 48 and up to DSD)

The above is of course for my tastes. I don't think you can find the BKS77 outside of Japan but IM50 is not expensive so go for it. Or by the way I struggled with the Logitech UE-900 for a entire year, Just could not get the sound signature to suit my tastes and then the plastic case came apart at the joint. Piece of US400 Crap!
Audio Technica is not audio jewelry like many other audiophile brands but is rugged well built and sounds 'commercially pleasant'.

I leave my serious listening to my Senn HD800 and Hifi man HE560 on my home set. 
Have fun
Kelvin

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #675 of 1,068

I was really interested in the CKR line of headphones when they came out and was curious about the dual phase push pull driver technology. In the end, I was pretty content with what I had at the time and found the CKR line all a bit too expensive "just try out", plus I prefer over the ear designs. 

Can anyone here compare the E40 to Vsonic GR07,VSD3/5? The VSD5 is actually a terrific IEM and I really appreciate it's capabilities (especially sound stage) for the cheapish price I paid. That said, I wouldn't mind a new out and about IEM and the E40 looks really sharp :p 

Whenever you ask about the E40 , it seems that they get ignored duo to being monitors , with hard fit and long cable . I read they are better than the IM70 , IM50 . ordered them for70$ , then canceled the order because of huge delay in shipping .
 I heard about the IM series update ( new ATH LS SERIES ) few days ago , ATH LS50 and ATH LS70 , which are made for music listening purposes , there will be released on 15 of November .
I'm still not sure how would they compare to the E40 .
The new  ATH LS70s is viewed to be  about 120$ in some sites .
LS50s for about 65$ ( LS50 about the same price as an E40 ) , i think it will have a better fit , but i'm not sure if it would be an upgrade in SQ  .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back