Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Sep 30, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #631 of 1,068
The E70 sounds much thinner with the CKS1100 cable, but again that's down to fit.  With the CKS1100 cable attached, I can't get the E70 to sit flush so the seal and overall sound suffers.

I think that iems are always a crap-shoot in terms of fit and sound.  There are so many different ear shapes out there that it's impossible to make something truly universal.  Especially if you're trying to incorporate multiple drivers in such a small space.  The CKS1100 in particular are a real Frankenstein's monster of different designs with the dual air chambers, push-pull drivers and detachable cables.  They sound amazing to me though, so I think it's worth searching for your ideal match.

And thanks for giving me the idea of trying the CKS1100 with the E70 cable, that is a game changer and will get me reaching for the CKS1100 a lot more.

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #634 of 1,068
I am liking the E70 so far, but out of the box the bass is pretty prominent. Does it settle down at all with use? Also, has anyone tried using an aftermarket cable? The length of the stock one is a little excessive, and I wouldn't mind a touch more high end.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #635 of 1,068
With the right tips (spiral dots) and better-quality files, I found the boominess of the bass much reduced. Though they may be behind others a bit in some particular aspect (layering, separation, etc.) they have no real flaws and are overall the best IEMs I have tried to date. I will be holding on to them for a while.

However, I really hate the cable. It's just way too long. I'm looking at the Null Audio Arete MkII as a replacement. Anyone have any experience with this pairing? TIA!

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #636 of 1,068
I am liking the E70 so far, but out of the box the bass is pretty prominent. Does it settle down at all with use? Also, has anyone tried using an aftermarket cable? The length of the stock one is a little excessive, and I wouldn't mind a touch more high end.

I'm surprised that you're the first person who mentioned the prominent bass.  I thought it was bassy, depending on your source and source files as well. On my Macbook pro with without out eq for example. You should try the sony hybrid tips.  Works wonders for creating a flat sound.  

However, the e70 reproduces the sound to a t.  If you have bassy songs, they will play bassy.  If you have songs that lack bass, the e70 will come off lacking bass.  

I agree with what Audio technica said about the e70 "Its accuracy and detail allow precise balancing of the mix, making it the perfect choice for monitoring on stage or mixing in the studio."  So if you have a bassy song or compressed files, it will reproduce the sound to a t!

Also I use viper4android and dolby atmos. They sound great with eq.  I use the lgv10.

Also, what device are you using? You should try flac files if your using mp3 files.  If your using apple music, blow up your device (lol) and upgrade to flac.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #637 of 1,068
  With the right tips (spiral dots) and better-quality files, I found the boominess of the bass much reduced. Though they may be behind others a bit in some particular aspect (layering, separation, etc.) they have no real flaws and are overall the best IEMs I have tried to date. I will be holding on to them for a while.

However, I really hate the cable. It's just way too long. I'm looking at the Null Audio Arete MkII as a replacement. Anyone have any experience with this pairing? TIA!

you beat me to the punch, I said some of the same things.  To me they're  not behind in any aspect, they just very unforgiving.  If the producer did a bad job, they will tell.  If they did an excellent job layering, separation etc will be almost flawless.  They're one of my favorite iems as well.  

Yes the cable is too long, but you should just find a clip to hold it to your shirt.  That's what I did.  

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #638 of 1,068
  I'm surprised that you're the first person who mentioned the prominent bass.  I thought it was bassy, depending on your source and source files as well. On my Macbook pro with without out eq for example. You should try the sony hybrid tips.  Works wonders for creating a flat sound.  

However, the e70 reproduces the sound to a t.  If you have bassy songs, they will play bassy.  If you have songs that lack bass, the e70 will come off lacking bass.  

I agree with what Audio technica said about the e70 "Its accuracy and detail allow precise balancing of the mix, making it the perfect choice for monitoring on stage or mixing in the studio."  So if you have a bassy song or compressed files, it will reproduce the sound to a t!

Also I use viper4android and dolby atmos. They sound great with eq.  I use the lgv10.

Also, what device are you using? You should try flac files if your using mp3 files.  If your using apple music, blow up your device (lol) and upgrade to flac.

I have the HTC10, which has a pretty good DAC and amp for a smartphone (see the thread here about it). I was listening to downloaded files in Google Play Music when I thought they were bloated. Switching to FLAC in Neutron was night and day difference. Guess I'm gonna have to switch to Tidal now.

I tried the Sony Hybrid tips but they wouldn't stay on, so I'm using JVC Spiral Dots now, which are very good. I think with a better cable this is going to be an awesome setup.

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #639 of 1,068

I have the HTC10, which has a pretty good DAC and amp for a smartphone (see the thread here about it). I was listening to downloaded files in Google Play Music when I thought they were bloated. Switching to FLAC in Neutron was night and day difference. Guess I'm gonna have to switch to Tidal now.

I tried the Sony Hybrid tips but they wouldn't stay on, so I'm using JVC Spiral Dots now, which are very good. I think with a better cable this is going to be an awesome setup.

Yes, they forced me to have to upgrade from Google Play to Tidal as well.  

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #643 of 1,068
Thanks, me too. The E70 already sounds fantastic with Tidal hifi on the HTC 10, and honestly will be difficult to improve upon. I will still be pretty happy even if the sound stays basically the same and all the Null cable adds is manageable length, mic and remote.

How is this cable supposed to be different? Or better?

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #645 of 1,068
Got the E40 yesterday. Sound quality wise, for me they are quite good (Im a noob). But I could be missing on something because I could not get the fit and proper isolation I wanted. The bass is a bit soft for me (maybe because of isolation due to the fit). 

Could anyone here compare the E40 with AKG Y50 (or Y50BT)? I have the Y50BT, but I could not compare the sound because I am having a hard time fitting the E40 properly. I would like to hear from the people who have these two how their sound compare? The Y50BT is just the sound signature I like, the E40 could be better but I cannot tell because of the fitting problem I have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back