Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1100 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 31, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #136 of 157
Have ordered the 1100 , always out of stock haiz..compared with my jvc 208se, jvc just lack the kick the 1100 got..like some song the jvc no beng zi beng zi but the 1100 got..listen more shiok.. But ballad song think 208se still better

May 10, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #138 of 157
LOL i've been real busy these days with work, sorry... I'm actually anxiusly waiting until this Thursday for the LG V10 smartphone. It has the ESS Sabre es9018k2m DAC chip equipped, so i'll have a better comparison and hopefully it will bring all my IEMs back to life. They've all been sitting in the dust since i got the JVC FX1100 and FX750.

I promise to give that comparison of the CKS1100 vs CKR9 once I get the LG V10. It'll be a better way to judge the true sound qualities of these two IEMs, rather than with my iPhone 5S.

:) Cheers

May 11, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #139 of 157
LOL i've been real busy these days with work, sorry... I'm actually anxiusly waiting until this Thursday for the LG V10 smartphone. It has the ESS Sabre es9018k2m DAC chip equipped, so i'll have a better comparison and hopefully it will bring all my IEMs back to life. They've all been sitting in the dust since i got the JVC FX1100 and FX750.

I promise to give that comparison of the CKS1100 vs CKR9 once I get the LG V10. It'll be a better way to judge the true sound qualities of these two IEMs, rather than with my iPhone 5S.

smily_headphones1.gif
Cheers

Sounds interesting , i will look forward to it. Especially on how those two match up in detail and instrument separation.

May 25, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #143 of 157
sorry i've been on vacation, and i cant find my CKR-9! :flushed:im driving home today and will update early this week
As before, I eagerly await the comparison.

May 25, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #144 of 157
Track title: Markus Schulz - Let it go (Monogato Remix)

CKR-9 with Stock Tips:

Treble: Great detail and crispness, I can tell when switching from CKS1100 to CKR-9 that there is more detail and sparkle and satisfaction for a treblehead using CKR-9. Im liking this track much more with the CKR-9.

Bass: Perfect amount of bass, well rounded, quick, and hits hard enough to satisfy bass lovers. Its not the deepest or skull shattering, but its really impressive!

Detail: The detail is given to BOTH the treble and bass. They are equally emphasized as opposed to CKS1100's higher emphasis on bass. CKR-9 is more neutral and I prefer this more than CKS1100 for this track.

Soundstage: Slightly smaller than CKS1100 but this does not mean it is not expansive or small. It is large enough to satisfy my soundstage requirements.

CKS1100 with Stock Tips:

Treble: it just feels veiled and lacking compared to the impressive CKR-9 treble. Less sparkle and crispness compared to CKR-9, I can hear more chimes and bells details with CKR-9.

Bass: Right away I can tell the bass has more authority and stands out more than CKR-9. Deeper and harder hitting. I can feel a more emphasis on bass rather than treble details (compared to CKR-9) Definitely has a warmer sound signature compared to CKR-9. But this is not a negative trait, people who like warmer sound and deeper harder hitting bass will love the Bass from CKS1100

Detail: Overall the detail is more emphasized in the bass department, it sounds superb! The treble detail gets kinda veiled due to the priority the bass is given.

Soundstage: Larger than CKR-9

Conclusion: I preferred the CKR-9 and I was more into the music. (for this track specifically)
Note: I didnt include a mids portion to this comparison because there were no vocals in this track.
I will update tomorrow with another few tracks using both vocal and non-vocal tracks. If there is a track of your choice you would like me to use for a comparison please let me know, thanks.

May 25, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #145 of 157
Track Title: Plastic Angel - Try walking in my world

Immediately sounds much more impressive with CKS1100 :)

will update with full comparison tomorrow!

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #147 of 157
Okay, I'm answering my own questions here, which is, how does the ATH CK1100is stack up against the B&W C5S2's overall and in sub bass response.

I was able to grab a pair of  ATH CKS1100is from the Singapore duty free (shop name is Sprint Cass in terminal 3) during a transit I had there. This is a comparison of the ATH CKS1100is to the B&W C5S2. The experts at Audioholics have mentioned that break in does not require hundreds of hours and that if the sales guy says so, it's just to make you keep the product for an extended period so that your ears get used to it's sound signature over time, and you hopefully begin to like what you hear if you didn't like it already.

I had left the Audio Technica's playing pink noise for a couple of hrs and on random pop and R&B playlists for about 10 hrs before I did the comparison. Both pairs of IEM's were driven using an iPhone 6 Plus only (no external amplification) with no EQ. Pls be mindful that the opinions expressed here are my own. I'm not a sound engineer or an electronics engineer. I love a flat response in the high and mids and a bit of a bump in the sub bass to a level where it does not interfere with the mids and highs.

About the B&W C5s2
The B&W has a notch more sub bass. It's certainly louder (in bass) and clearer than the 1100is and extends slightly lower/deeper. The B&W also has better mid range than the 1100is. The 1100is's mid range sounds slightly nasal compared to the B&W's. The cable on the B&W IMO is also better. It's tangle free, feels slightly better built and if the cable rubs or knocks against anything while the IEMs are in the ear, that noise does not transfer into your ears, which is a big deal to me coz I use my IEMs in public transport a lot. The B&W's controls has volume control as well on top of play pause, skip forwards and backward that the 1100is has. The B&W's loop system also secures the IEM's in your ear. It doesn't necessarily give the IEM's a good seal, but if you are doing sports while wearing them, they wont go anywhere. The loop system is a bit annoying until you get the adjustments right. After that, you wont even notice it's there, locking the IEM to your ear.

About the ATH CK1100is
Where the 1100is is better is the treble detail. It's noticeably crisper than the B&Ws. Some may find this fatiguing though. The 1100is's 3.5mm jack is 90 degrees angled (L shaped). The jack itself feels better built than the B&W's jack. The B&W's silicone tips are slippery (especially if you have the slightest hint of oil or earwax in your canals) and it may not fit/seal properly until you have cleaned your ears. And although the cables don't seem to be made well on the 1100is's. they are detachable, so maybe there will be better aftermarket versions of this cable made in the future.

If you don't know what the B&W C5S2 sounds like, it sounds just like the B&W P7 with less treble detail and less sound stage width and depth 

More on Sub bass. Just for reference purposes, I use a Velodyne DD18+ and a Paradigm Seismic 110 sub in my main listening room. If you have listened to the R&B track "Fix" by Nelly, you will know that there's some serious house foundation loosening bass in this track. If you think this track doesn't have serious bass, that's only coz you don't have the right equipment to reproduce the bass.

The B&W C5s2's almost extends down to those levels of bass response (with a proper seal to the ear and a flat EQ) but doesn't go all the way down (untill you mod the EQ to Loudness, then it gets about half way there). The 1100is's does not quite extend down to those frequencies (even with a good seal to the ear, but gets to the B&W's flat response levels of bass when set to Loudness).

I was quite disappointed with the 1100is's sub bass response. Only coz it was advertised to be a bass pair of phones. Don't get me wrong, it does bass pretty well, but it doesn't extend well into sub frequencies. The advertising spec sheet of the 1100is claims that they can respond from 5Hz to 40000Hz, but it doesn't show measurements as to how flat or not flat the response curves are. It obviously rolls off heavily below 25-30Hz which is why I'm not getting the bass response I clearly get from my subs with tracks like Fix by Nelly and even Unfaithfull by Rihanna (another track that I rediscovered with my Velodyne DD18+ monster).

I will keep playing more tunes through the AT's and report back if anything changes over time. Hope this information helps some of you :)

PS: the silicone tips between the ATH CK1100is, B&W C5S2 and the Sennheiser CX300 are interchangeable. I'm currently using the ATH CK1100 is tips with the B&W CS5s2's because they are slightly larger and less slippery.

cheers!

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #148 of 157
Ok, so here's the deal. The 1100is didn't really change much at all over the last few days but i tried something different. i dug up my "man cupboard" and found my old iriver d clix (also known as the U10 in some parts of the world) and played the same tracks that I played on the iphone.

All the sub bass is there in the ATH-CKS1100is and the B&W C5s2 (Sheepishly smiles). It seems that it's the iphone which does the heavy bass roll-off, possibly to save battery life.

The sub bass on the B&W was more controlled and had definition than the AT though. Just keeping you posted. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #149 of 157
Guys, what about https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newest-Super-bass-Stereo-HIFI-Earphone-ATH-CKS1100-Dual-Driver-Dynamic-headset-For-iphone-HTC-Samsung/32723952620.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.siKm6P ? Anyone tried this or similar? Fake ones or like CKR9LTD?

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #150 of 157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back