Audio-Technica ATH-CKS1100 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 28, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #31 of 157
That's fast! Enjoy your new toy.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #32 of 157
Thanks!

What's inside that box??

Dark and pouring rain so quick and dirty inside shots.

Early, early sound impression is very impressive. Certainly gonna be a special and popular earphone. Only a cursory listen between the CKS and the LTD and i like these better already. Seem a bit easier to drive. Maybe because the bass and treble are more apparent but make the LTD sound a bit duller and darker. Mids are the nearly same but more the focus on the LTD requiring more volume to liven them up. Cable is the same as the LTD except for the new plug and connectors which seem quite sturdy and they spin w/o any lock in type grooves. Plug is metal capped again but flared out looks better to me than the CKR plugs.

Rainy so no real outside wind/isolation stuff atm. they are pretty big and the tube isn't that long so fit may be a challenge for some. I was wrong as they still do have the dual post nozzle they just don't mention it on the AT site. Always a good thing when there is too much too mention and they leave it out.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #35 of 157
I think they can use some burn in as they sound like they may open up. They are bigger than the CKR9 and LTD by a bit but I may think once they do like the LTD did and move the air a bit better out those rear vents they will be bigger. No complaints except for the tips which are small bore. I have gone to my Elation stock tips which are black and wide bore.

3 or 4 volumes notches less than the CKR9 LTD need and I can hear hiss with my S639 and can't with the LTD. Sames specs but the CKS1100 are more sensitive.

I will say that they are a real flagship tuning and probably for the whole CKS and CKR line. There may be something to that Kakaku review with the expensive phone mentions. These are really well tuned and make it shows vs. the CKR9 LTD which doesn't sound right anymore to be honest. Also remember Vlenbo's CKR9 with the taller than wide stage and the bit of treble grain and mids that were a bit dull. The CKS1100 has a wonderfully rounded circular stage very even in all three dimensions. Bass is very full and satisfying but in line with everything else. treble is still bright out of the box but not peaky and clarity up top is flagship worthy. I can pick out flaws in the 9LTD and the 9 and my JVC FXT's but the CKS1100 is as well done as I would have hoped as far as their presentation, balance and clarity and detail. Not bad for so early on.

Very much related to the CKR9LTD but more 3D, better midbass clarity and sub-bass emphasis, and more lively and exciting. Really thinking this purchase made my 9LTD obsolete
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #36 of 157
I think they can use some burn in as they sound like they may open up. They are bigger than the CKR9 and LTD by a bit but I may think once they do like the LTD did and move the air a bit better out those rear vents they will be bigger. No complaints except for the tips which are small bore. I have gone to my Elation stock tips which are black and wide bore.

3 or 4 volumes notches less than the CKR9 LTD need and I can hear hiss with my S639 and can't with the LTD. Sames specs but the CKS1100 are more sensitive.

I will say that they are a real flagship tuning and probably for the whole CKS and CKR line. There may be something to that Kakaku review with the expensive phone mentions. These are really well tuned and make it shows vs. the CKR9 LTD which doesn't sound right anymore to be honest. Also remember Vlenbo's CKR9 with the taller than wide stage and the bit of treble grain and mids that were a bit dull. The CKS1100 has a wonderfully rounded circular stage very even in all three dimensions. Bass is very full and satisfying but in line with everything else. treble is still bright out of the box but not peaky and clarity up top is flagship worthy. I can pick out flaws in the 9LTD and the 9 and my JVC FXT's but the CKS1100 is as well done as I would have hoped as far as their presentation, balance and clarity and detail. Not bad for so early on.

Very much related to the CKR9LTD but more 3D, better midbass clarity and sub-bass emphasis, and more lively and exciting. Really thinking this purchase made my 9LTD obsolete :bigsmile_face:  

Wow, the CKS1100 must be pretty damn impressive to make the LTD sound dull. Just shows how much AT has evolved their Push Pull drivers over one year. Really excited for this now!

How do they fare with EDM? One thing I liked about the LTD is its PRAT and speed that makes it so addicting for EDM.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #37 of 157
Fine, though I would like to double check after some burn in. Though the DLC seems to have these drivers quite spry and tight sounding and more responsive. Always the second post position as well to ease off the bass a bit and keep the best speed and PRaT.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #38 of 157
Oooh, I wonder how they handle rock, specifically J-Rock, and even more specifically "One Ok Rock - Jibun ROCK".

Sounds pretty darn amazing out of my CKR10s.

Warning: May be loud and/or poison your ears depending on your music tastes.

Honestly could be a deal breaker for me if they sound just slightly worse than the CKR10s on more energetic genres.

By worse, I mean MUCH less vocal presence but hopefully that is not the case!

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #39 of 157
Can they be worn over e ear? Currently using jvc 850 n they tend to lose isolation due to its weight. Looking for some bass n this seems it. But again afraid e isolation loosening. They seems quite heavy

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #41 of 157
  Oooh, I wonder how they handle rock, specifically J-Rock, and even more specifically "One Ok Rock - Jibun ROCK".

Sounds pretty darn amazing out of my CKR10s.

Warning: May be loud and/or poison your ears depending on your music tastes.

Honestly could be a deal breaker for me if they sound just slightly worse than the CKR10s on more energetic genres.

By worse, I mean MUCH less vocal presence but hopefully that is not the case!

Certainly sounds nice. Problem is the the CKR10 is the one I haven't heard. So, I am okay with saying that the vocal presence is in between the 9 and the LTD at this point but may change a bit of the treble calms down any or if the bass tightens or cleans further. Can't really be much less bass presence if the CKR10 is the one with the most bass previously and the CKS1100 still seems more forward overall in the same way the 10 is described as. I would think they would be pretty close in the amount the vocals present. I'm sure there will be some comparisons between the two coming on some Japanese sites before long. 

Quote:
Can they be worn over e ear? Currently using jvc 850 n they tend to lose isolation due to its weight. Looking for some bass n this seems it. But again afraid e isolation loosening. They seems quite heavy

Seems to work for me and the cable can also be swapped if the shape will work better on opposite sides. Yet, I don't have your ears and they are indeed heavier earphones. Longer tips on the first or outermost post position would be best to make it work.

I wasn't expecting those impressions. Glad it sounds the way you're describing jant. Thanks.

Certainly want to run them in/spend enough time acclimating and tip roll and also compare the sound of the two post positions though
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #42 of 157
  Certainly sounds nice. Problem is the the CKR10 is the one I haven't heard. So, I am okay with saying that the vocal presence is in between the 9 and the LTD at this point but may change a bit of the treble calms down any or if the bass tightens or cleans further. Can't really be much less bass presence if the CKR10 is the one with the most bass previously and the CKS1100 still seems more forward overall in the same way the 10 is described as. I would think they would be pretty close in the amount the vocals present. I'm sure there will be some comparisons between the two coming on some Japanese sites before long. 

Quote:
Seems to work for me and the cable can also be swapped if the shape will work better on opposite sides. Yet, I don't have your ears and they are indeed heavier earphones. Longer tips on the first or outermost post position would be best to make it work.

Certainly want to run them in/spend enough time acclimating and tip roll and also compare the sound of the two post positions though
beerchug.gif

I forgot to mention that I do have the CKR9's but one side started to have less bass and volume after sitting in its case for like a few months. I remember preferring the CKR10's because male vocals sounded a lot more natural and less nasal as I found with the CKR9's.

Thanks for the impressions by the way!

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #43 of 157
The packaging suggested it would be a basshead earphone. Thanks for the impressions @jant71 good to know they're more balanced than I thought. Nothing I hate more than bass overpowering the mids. And I see the treble presence is there, very good! If this handles vocals well I'm very, very interested.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #45 of 157
The packaging suggested it would be a basshead earphone. Thanks for the impressions @jant71 good to know they're more balanced than I thought. Nothing I hate more than bass overpowering the mids. And I see the treble presence is there, very good! If this handles vocals well I'm very, very interested.
Depends on the style of music. My grandfather enjoys Diana K so he expects balanced. Metal, Techno more rumble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back