Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti - Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #76 of 299
I already have demoed the ADX 5000 et AP2000 Ti (along withe AD 9200 and HD 820s). The treble of the latter didn't bother me (I'm a big BW 800D3 fan and ATH is IMO a kind of transcription of that transparent and detailed sound on headphone).

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #77 of 299
The more you can say about your preference and genre interests, the better feedback I can give.

@Nostoi I didn't catch your question : I listen to a lot of style : Rock - Acoustic Jazz- World - Hip Hop - Classical piano mostly. So an allrounder -if it exist- would be preferred. But as you said WP 900 could be an issue for a more portable goal may be. Also I did loved the transparency I heard on AP2000 ti

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #78 of 299
I already have demoed the ADX 5000 et AP2000 Ti (along withe AD 9200 and HD 820s). The treble of the latter didn't bother me (I'm a big BW 800D3 fan and ATH is IMO a kind of transcription of that transparent and detailed sound on headphone).
In that case, sounds like the AP2000Ti would suit you. The WP900 are also bright, but the brightness is offset by a more pronounced bass region, although - as has being pointed out - at the expensive of a slightly recessed mid region.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #80 of 299
@Nostoi I didn't catch your question : I listen to a lot of style : Rock - Acoustic Jazz- World - Hip Hop - Classical piano mostly. So an allrounder -if it exist- would be preferred. But as you said WP 900 could be an issue for a more portable goal may be. Also I did loved the transparency I heard on AP2000 ti
I'd say the WP900 are really exceptional for energetic music - metal, rock, etc - they would likely fall short on a DSD recording of Mahler's 2nd or Bruckner's 8th, though, at least in terms of detail. They make excellent portable cans - I can only think of the T5p 2nd gen which match them as portable "audiophile" headphones - but the AP2000ti are probably better multi-genre headphones.

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #83 of 299
and turning my mind upon your description I may end to think my option is :
- a good combo would be a WP900 and AWKT for absolute details and imaging if the records required...
- a AP 2000 Ti as a more multi genre to quote you

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #84 of 299
and turning my mind upon your description I may end to think my option is :
- a good combo would be a WP900 and AWKT for absolute details and imaging if the records required...
- a AP 2000 Ti as a more multi genre to quote you
I think it's an excellent sounding mix and that's the way I'm approaching it - WP900 for outright "fun" on the go, the 2000Ti for multi-genre but nevertheless detailed listening, and the AWKT for TOTL "serious" listening, which may be more picky in terms of source and recordings.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #85 of 299
For my technical culture : does the AP2000ti have the angled drivers as the WP900-AWKT? Does this design really improve the soundstage? The WP900 are angled driver and if I refer to the impressions within this thread the AP2000ti seems to be better at staging and imaging..
thanks
Ps:
(i thought that it was the sound perception time difference between left/right ears that created the depth imaging on regular speakers setup- so I don’t figure out the effect with angled drivers on headphone BUT why not 🤷‍♂️- the hd800 got it and as far as soundstage is concerned it’s great) sorry for that technical deviation :)

Jul 26, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #86 of 299
nvm

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #89 of 299
Remembered you were confirming the Ap2000 ti did not have angled driver..

oh sorry, was editing my reply and accidentally wiped the whole thing instead so I gave up lol

They do have angled drivers, though it's actually the housing that is angled. They mostly angle downward a bit, possibly slightly inward depending on how they sit on your head and pad position (not as much for instance as mdr z7). Stage is pretty good IMO for a closed back at least (I haven't heard a ton of over-ears though). I don't really know to what degree driver angling contributes to that.

One peice of advice I read when I was first starting with headphones was that because outer ear anatomy has a lot to do with how we perceive space it's a good idea to play around with positioning on the ear- anecdotally with some headphones it did seem to make a subtle difference. I think headphones with angled drivers or the availablitly of angled pads for non-angled headphones are done with the idea of trying to take advantage of that effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back