Audio Technica ATH-AD900x Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #46 of 250
I keep coming to these for my next main headphone. I sold my HD600s for cash just before Christmas and never managed to sell my Bottlehead Crack :/ but I'm thinking O2 + AD900X will provide me a nice experience in the future. Now if only I could manage the working capital to make it happen.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #47 of 250
  These are regular velour pads, just like stock ones, so they will not do for me.
I need some other material, non-hairy one.

Brainwavz HM5 pads do fit nicely on AD900X.
However, there is another problem.
I purchased these headphones primarily for gaming with X-Fi XtremeGamer soundcard able to do hardware surround sound simulation via CMSS-3D headphones function.
But upper frequencies on AD900X are just too pronounced, voices are screaming to the point of being painful.
When game characters are not talking, volume seems to be fine; music and effects feel pretty natural. But when some character starts talking, it is like someone has cranked up volume to an unbearable level.
CMSS-3D is known to make sound too thin, so I turned it off, but impact was very small.
Then I checked non-game content (some movies) and the effect is less pronounced, but still there. Voices are extremely loud for some reason.

Has anyone experienced that?

Of course, there is an easy solution - decrease volume, but that means all I'm going to hear is voices & high frequency sounds.
Surprisingly, my ancient Sennheiser HD200 has no such problem, all frequencies sound just fine.
And no, I'm not hyper-sensitive to high frequencies at all - in fact, I enjoy very bright Brainwavz B2 for portable use.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #49 of 250
  Brainwavz HM5 pads do fit nicely on AD900X.
However, there is another problem.
I purchased these headphones primarily for gaming with X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card able to do hardware surround sound simulation via CMSS-3D headphones function.
But upper frequencies on AD900X are just too pronounced, voices are screaming to the point of being painful.
When game characters are not talking, volume seems to be fine; music and effects feel pretty natural. But when some character starts talking, it is like someone has cranked up volume to an unbearable level.
CMSS-3D is known to make sound too thin, so I turned it off, but impact was very small.
Then I checked non-game content (some movies) and the effect is less pronounced, but still there. Voices are extremely loud for some reason.

Has anyone experienced that?

Of course, there is an easy solution - decrease volume, but that means all I'm going to hear is voices & high frequency sounds.
Surprisingly, my ancient Sennheiser HD200 has no such problem, all frequencies sound just fine.
And no, I'm not hyper-sensitive to high frequencies at all - in fact, I enjoy very bright Brainwavz B2 for portable use.

Maybe? getting a headphone amplifier, with a low output impedance, like the Schiit Magni, might improve audio quality.(balance audio?).
Have you tried using the AD900Xs with a portable audio player?

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #50 of 250
At first out of the box I thought of it not being as good as my former ad700.  I had both ad700 and ad900x connected to the 4 way behringer ha400 splitter headphone amp.  I was listening to both vigorously and was wondering why were people recommending these ad900x so much.   Anyway I was very disappointing to say the least.  I then decided to buy another headphone amp but this time a much better one, so I went and ordered a chinese imported  SMSL sApII TPA6120A2 from Amazon based on reviews and value.  All I have to say now is that it made a world of difference with the new amp so now I just love my ad900x,  much more so than my ad700.  The sound keeps on getting better the more it breaks in.  In the future I might invest on an even better amp.......I hear good things about the Schiit.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #51 of 250
ATH-AD900 Score = 9.2
http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-ad900-review

Introduction:

"Their performance is fantastic, and they are extremely comfortable, but their use is highly specialized: at home."

Audio Quality:

"After we ran the ATH-AD900s through our tests in the lab a few times, we've concluded that they have extremely good audio performance. Throughout every test we ran, we noticed that they had very few if any appreciable blemishes in their performance, and across the board they took top marks."

Conclusion:

"Overall, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900s are fantastic performers for their price range, with the added benefit of being super comfortable, and a low power requirement."

Science Introduction:

"These cans have got the goods, and knocked it out of the park in many aspects of our scoring. Not only do they have a flat frequency response, but they have a very low distortion measure, and passable tracking."

------------

ATH-AD900X Score = 8.3
http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-ad900x

Introduction:

"Although it carries a very similar name to its predecessor, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900, its performance is quite a bit different in terms of frequency response. While it's more of a taste thing at its core, these cans look the part, but don't exactly deliver the same quality sound that the series is known for."

Sound Quality:

"...where the ATH-AD900 reproduced most sounds at the same volume more or less, the ATH-AD900x does not—some of the more sibilant sounds like cymbals and the highest octave of a piano will be reduced in perceived loudness by about half."

Conclusion:

"Just keep in mind that these headphones mark a slight departure from the previous iteration, as they do not have a completely even frequency response—they underemphasize some of the higher sounds, and that may or may not fit with what you're looking for."

--------------

Click "Science and Testing" in the upper right corner of the review to see graphs for each model.

Frequency Response:

It appears that the grey lines on the AD900X graph are to compare to the AD900

"The most important thing to note about the performance is the lack of a completely flat frequency response. This will appeal to some who find really high notes and resonances to be painful in loud music, but maybe not so much to users who demand all sounds to be at the same volume as others. You can easily equalize these underemphases away, but it does require a bit of work on your end."

---------------
This reviewer certainly seems to prefer the older model, AD900. 
L3000.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #52 of 250
My Take On The ATH-AD900X-

Please understand the difference between 'open' and 'closed' headphones before buying. The ATH-AD900X is open and the ATH-A900X is closed. Don't buy open backed headphones and then complain that you can hear outside sounds and others can hear what you are listening to. Closed, in general, provide less soundstage and more bass, and they are made to keep outside sounds outside, and keep what you are listening to inside. Do a search for "open vs closed headphones".

If you like thumping, overpowering bass...just move along...these headphones are not for you. I find these are a good, all around HP for music and TV/movies; you will feel like you are "there". Very good soundstage...you can hear cars, planes, trains, footsteps, voices etc. approaching from every direction. Music is like being up front at a concert.

The AD900X won't make 128kbps MP3s sound good...it will make them sound WORSE...you need a high quality sound source. GIGO...garbage in - garbage out.

The non-detachable cable is thick, stiff, black plastic type material rather than a much preferred fabric style cable for flexibility. The cable ends in a 1/8" plug. A 1/8" to 1/4" adapter is included, however it just snaps on rather than a preferred screw on type attachment. I don't understand why ALL headphones don't come with detachable cables, so that users could order straight, coiled, long, or short alternate cables!!!

As soon as I put the HP on, I felt it was too loose and sagged, to where the lower part of the ear pad was on my jaw. If a headphone is not comfortable, it is useless, no matter how good it sounds. I immediately did the 'rubber-band mod' - X crossed a rubber band between the two wings, so that the two wings provide better support and the headphone isn't held up by the ear pads resting on the top of the ears. And this easy modification also perfected the seal of the well-cushioned, soft-cloth ear pads around the ears. This made the headphones sound better, including bass. You may have to try different rubber bands to get the perfect fit. This simple mod made all the difference in sound quality, comfort and overall useability. If the HP moves too much when you move your head, just shift the two upper 'arches' forward a little.

I like the AD900X very much for comfort and sound quality; in this aspect they rate a 5/5. However, due to the cord and needing the rubber-band, they are a 3.5/5. So the overall rating is 4/5, as there is room for improvement. I think most users would find them a great all-around (open) headphone and be very happy with them.

Highly recommended...a definite 'keeper'.

* I am particularly happy with this purchase since I was able to get it on Amazon for $99.99 (including free shipping) as a manufacturer refurb with one year warranty, although I believe a new one comes with a two year warranty.

Apr 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #53 of 250
  ATH-AD900 Score = 9.2
http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-ad900-review

Introduction:

"Their performance is fantastic, and they are extremely comfortable, but their use is highly specialized: at home."

Audio Quality:

"After we ran the ATH-AD900s through our tests in the lab a few times, we've concluded that they have extremely good audio performance. Throughout every test we ran, we noticed that they had very few if any appreciable blemishes in their performance, and across the board they took top marks."

Conclusion:

"Overall, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900s are fantastic performers for their price range, with the added benefit of being super comfortable, and a low power requirement."

Science Introduction:

"These cans have got the goods, and knocked it out of the park in many aspects of our scoring. Not only do they have a flat frequency response, but they have a very low distortion measure, and passable tracking."

------------

ATH-AD900X Score = 8.3
http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/audio-technica-ath-ad900x

Introduction:

"Although it carries a very similar name to its predecessor, the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900, its performance is quite a bit different in terms of frequency response. While it's more of a taste thing at its core, these cans look the part, but don't exactly deliver the same quality sound that the series is known for."

Sound Quality:

"...where the ATH-AD900 reproduced most sounds at the same volume more or less, the ATH-AD900x does not—some of the more sibilant sounds like cymbals and the highest octave of a piano will be reduced in perceived loudness by about half."

Conclusion:

"Just keep in mind that these headphones mark a slight departure from the previous iteration, as they do not have a completely even frequency response—they underemphasize some of the higher sounds, and that may or may not fit with what you're looking for."

--------------

Click "Science and Testing" in the upper right corner of the review to see graphs for each model.

Frequency Response:

It appears that the grey lines on the AD900X graph are to compare to the AD900

"The most important thing to note about the performance is the lack of a completely flat frequency response. This will appeal to some who find really high notes and resonances to be painful in loud music, but maybe not so much to users who demand all sounds to be at the same volume as others. You can easily equalize these underemphases away, but it does require a bit of work on your end."

---------------
This reviewer certainly seems to prefer the older model, AD900. 
L3000.gif

Now let's go real world because the X are my commute phones and i pair them with my DX50 and BH.
I get know Loudness with Cymbals, sound perfect with my combo.
I'm listening to Gary Burton who plays vibes i hear know spikes.
I've tried the AD and i did not like it perfer the HD650.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #54 of 250
Well these AD900x arrived a week ago, and all I can say is I am certain these are the best headphones I have heard under $500. Period.....and are now my favorite headphone of all time :)

I owned the Original AD900's....which were a bit a bass light....but these seem to fixed the bass issue, its perfect now to me. Since the AD900's I have been on audiophile ride "chasing" and getting "sucked" into the world of diminishing returns. I sold my Original AD900's and slowly went through cans from HD650s to HE-500s all the way to Beyerdynamic T1's,....as well as buying amps to power them, and you know what? I sold them all.....and ended back at the AD900x.

These are sweet spot in the headphone range IMO and after this diminishing returns kick in, and kick in rather quickly. For around $200 and you get an amazing sounding headphone that sounds great with every genre, very easy to drive, very comfortable ect......oh and female vocals are up there with the best I have ever heard....which I'm not how is possible on a $200 headphone. This is my very conclusive opinion, All ears and tastes are different some may favor technical detail, others bass....ect so please, take with a gain of salt :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #55 of 250
the only drawback for me is the lack of insulation. it works wonders for the sound, but not appropriate at above minimal volume at a cafe.  ive spent some time looking for a closed on or over-ear that has a sound that a ad900x lover would like. 

can you recommend any?

this week im in the neighborhood of a place that has hundreds of cans on display for listening, so i can try whatever you suggest.  ill take a listen to the ATH-A900X, but i hope to find something a little different, and perhaps a little more portable.

a couple days ago i did hours of testing and am very happy with the sound of the onkyo aluminum build es-fc300s.  (http://www.head-fi.org/t/646415/new-onkyo-es-fc300-hf300/60#post_10482524)  however, first day of testing at a cafe yesterday, and after a couple hours there was discomfort.  after 3 hours it hurt.  :frowning2:  i can recommend them highly, but only for 2hrs at a time.  my head is normal adult male size... i *think*...

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #58 of 250
  Well these AD900x arrived a week ago, and all I can say is I am certain these are the best headphones I have heard under $500. Period.....and are now my favorite headphone of all time :)

I owned the Original AD900's....which were a bit a bass light....but these seem to fixed the bass issue, its perfect now to me. Since the AD900's I have been on audiophile ride "chasing" and getting "sucked" into the world of diminishing returns. I sold my Original AD900's and slowly went through cans from HD650s to HE-500s all the way to Beyerdynamic T1's,....as well as buying amps to power them, and you know what? I sold them all.....and ended back at the AD900x.

These are sweet spot in the headphone range IMO and after this diminishing returns kick in, and kick in rather quickly. For around $200 and you get an amazing sounding headphone that sounds great with every genre, very easy to drive, very comfortable ect......oh and female vocals are up there with the best I have ever heard....which I'm not how is possible on a $200 headphone. This is my very conclusive opinion, All ears and tastes are different some may favor technical detail, others bass....ect so please, take with a gain of salt :)

I have the ad900x myself and love it but I'm a bit surprised that you like them better than the HE-500's/ T1's which are supposed to be the creme de la creme for most audiophiles.  I wish I could make the comparison myself but unfortunately there aren't any stores near me that demos these high end cans.  Only Best Buy's Magnolia sell some high end cans like the senn Hd-800. 

may I ask what aspect of the ad900x you like more than the he-500 or the T1's?

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #59 of 250
I have the ad900x myself and love it but I'm a bit surprised that you like them better than the HE-500's/ T1's which are supposed to be the creme de la creme for most audiophiles.  I wish I could make the comparison myself but unfortunately there aren't any stores near me that demos these high end cans.  Only Best Buy's Magnolia sell some high end cans like the senn Hd-800. 

Hello

I have both and IMO HE 500 is far superior in: separation, details and clarity.

AD900x :)is warmer but as I have learned here evertihng depend of your preference. Bright vs Neutral, details vs body, ... :):):):):):):)

May 1, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #60 of 250

Oh better clear this up, they are not better sounding than T1 > He500.................> Ad900x by some margin they are in different leagues. The T1's are amazing, and summit fi, the He500s are also brilliant.  For me though, the higher I went up the chain, the less I enjoyed the music, instead of just enjoying the songs, I became a critical listener....trying to listen to the details instead of the music, if that makes sense. I think when you factor in no need to amp, the ad900x present amazing value for sound as they sound good with everything on everything, but what happened to the build quality? after 2 weeks, the cable is still a nightmare, and I got a lacky band on the top because my head isn't shaped like stewie griffen

So all depends what your after mate, ultra detail and world class sound and technicality vs a good all rounder that sounds good on anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back