Audio Technica ATH-AD900 or Sennheiser HD595, for electronic music production?
Oct 25, 2010 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vividmind

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm in search for some new headphones. It would be used mainly for audio production (hobby), mostly in the electronica genre.
I had my mind set on the Sennheiser HD595's, but after reading a few reviews, I'm having difficulty proceeding.

Perhaps you guys can help me out and let me know your take on the above two headphones. Or maybe you can recommend a different one, preferably in the same price range.

Thanks

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 16
AD900 will sound great and they would outperform the HD595 but they are a bit light on bass and they can be bright sounding if thats a concern. The Beyer DT250 or DT440 would work better if either of those issues concern you. They are less expensive but they are nearly on the same level as the AD900.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Can you please explain why you chose the AD900. Have you used it for music production? Have you compared the sound with the HD595?

Thank you.

Quote:
You're welcome. I don't do music production. But for electornica, I suggest considering a closed Pro model Ultrasone that's in your price range.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look into it as I'm not familiar with the brand.

Quote:
AD900 will sound great and they would outperform the HD595 but they are a bit light on bass and they can be bright sounding if thats a concern. The Beyer DT250 or DT440 would work better if either of those issues concern you. They are less expensive but they are nearly on the same level as the AD900.

Thanks for making me aware of the difference between the two. I will look into the DT440, cheers for the recommendation.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 16
There is not a lot of info on the DT440 here unfortunately. headphones.com.au forums has a lot more info.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 16
I did not used it for music production, just listened to ambient, trance, chillout, trip-hop. Yes, I compared them. I prefer AD900 (and even AD700) to HD595 in any terms except vocal and acoustic instruments reproduction. AD900 have much bigger soundstage, better imaging capabilities, frequency extensions both in lows and highs; seems to be faster. HD595 is too "relaxed" for electronic, seems veiled and needs better amping (I took your gear into account).

If you are into jazz, vocals then I will heartily recommend HD595 over AD900.

Quote:
Can you please explain why you chose the AD900. Have you used it for music production? Have you compared the sound with the HD595?

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 16
And I do not think AD900 worths the extra pricing over AD700. If you are willing to pay AD900 price, then you probably have better choices like Denon D2000.

Oct 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
And I do not think AD900 worths the extra pricing over AD700. If you are willing to pay AD900 price, then you probably have better choices like Denon D2000.

Thank you for the in-depth reply, much appreciated. The Denon D2000 seems like a better set, what's your take on them if you don't mind? Thanks again.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 16
Denon D2000 needs some amping from what I have read. They are also a bit heavy on bass and have somewhat recessed mids. I think something like the DT250 would be a superior alternative if your looking into a balanced/relatively neutral set of closed phones.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 16
D2000 are better to me on most aspects than AD900, even if are not well amped. Soundstage is smaller indeed, but is quite big and deep itself. Accentuated and pretty deep bass is welcome for electronic music. Mids are recessed very slightly and I see no problem with this for electronic music. Stronger amp can improve bass control and cure this tiny recession of the mids.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I am leaning more towards the D2000, as it sounds like it would be the right choice for what it is required, and I like the specs.

I shall now search for a bargain.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
D2000 are better to me on most aspects than AD900, even if are not well amped. Soundstage is smaller indeed, but is quite big and deep itself. Accentuated and pretty deep bass is welcome for electronic music. Mids are recessed very slightly and I see no problem with this for electronic music. Stronger amp can improve bass control and cure this tiny recession of the mids.

I feel that the AD900 would easily beat the D2000 in most areas since its open vs closed. Whether you prefer the sound sig or not is another matter entirely.  Headphonic seems to have the opposite opinion regarding the Denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back