Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Nov 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #361 of 751
I wonder if the ATH-900X and W1000X have the exact same dimensions?

No they do not! I posted some pics about that earlier in the thread. You can see the pics I took from the album on my profile as well. They are smaller than the a900x pads and are difficult to put on. They are made of a better pleather material but it doesn't matter since it's thinner and has less space for your ear to fit.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #362 of 751
No they do not! I posted some pics about that earlier in the thread. You can see the pics I took from the album on my profile as well. They are smaller than the a900x pads and are difficult to put on. They are made of a better pleather material but it doesn't matter since it's thinner and has less space for your ear to fit.

Thanks! I'm planning on getting beyer velour pads for my W1000X, hopefully it'll fit.

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #363 of 751
Thanks! I'm planning on getting beyer velour pads for my W1000X, hopefully it'll fit.

I don't think it will...
Is the black variant bigger than the gray variant?

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #364 of 751

I don't think it will...
Is the black variant bigger than the gray variant?

Both w1000x and beyer 770 ear pads are 4 inches in diameter on the outside.. they also look like they have the same back design of how it slips into the ear cups. I think it will fit, it might be a tad too small or a tad too big, only time will tell, but i don't think you'll have to worry too much.

I just got the beyer 770 velour pads for my hp100's and they fit perfectly, it was a little difficult to put them on though, but once they were on it's like they were made for them.

Also, the grey and black velours are the exact same size as far as i'm aware of. I picked black because they match better with the 100's plus they were cheaper. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #365 of 751

Both w1000x and beyer 770 ear pads are 4 inches in diameter on the outside.. they also look like they have the same back design of how it slips into the ear cups. I think it will fit, it might be a tad too small or a tad too big, only time will tell, but i don't think you'll have to worry too much.

I just got the beyer 770 velour pads for my hp100's and they fit perfectly, it was a little difficult to put them on though, but once they were on it's like they were made for them.

Also, the grey and black velours are the exact same size as far as i'm aware of. I picked black because they match better with the 100's plus they were cheaper. 

Lip is the problem [the fat lip on the 900X/1000X...]
You will see once you try. I was not able to get the Beyer pads [or any other pads, except the HiFiMAN velours] on.
Next I will try the Shure 840 leather/velour pads.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #367 of 751

Then i guess you know it won't work? 

Yes that'd be my guess.
I tried to fit the gray beyer velours on the 900X and they just did not fit, nor did other pads, but the HiFiMAN velours, as I said [and they are a bit torn since that]

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #368 of 751
Another pads that fit - The Audio Technica AD "leather" earpads.

Don't like the sound too much but the comfort is excellent.
Really warm, lacks some highs extension and dynamics. Very relaxing sound, non-fatiguing but slightly muddied.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #369 of 751
Also managed to put the AD velours on.
The resulting sound is the exact opposite - very bright, very little bass. Crisp and clear but slightly harsh or edgy at times...
Comfort once again is +++, like the AD leathers.

Seems like HiFiMAN velours are the sonically most coherent pads, but they are nowhere near as comfy :/

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #370 of 751
I think the stock pads are really good in terms of SQ and comfort...
Do you think these beat the W1000X stock pads?
As people say they're terrible....
I am kinda at a loss with pads now.... I love the HiFiMAN velours but they are too damn itchy... I might try them regardless. HM5 pads don't fit and the other pads I have bought are mentioned above :p

Oh, well :D

Nov 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #371 of 751
These headphones are still lively and strong, unfortunately the same doesn't apply to the earpads. These are actually so molded into the shape of my head, the earpads actually squeeze my ears that fit underneath the pads. I'm going to look into replacing these. Note that I've listenned to these for about 2000 hours now over a course of 1 year.

Nov 30, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #372 of 751
These headphones are still lively and strong, unfortunately the same doesn't apply to the earpads. These are actually so molded into the shape of my head, the earpads actually squeeze my ears that fit underneath the pads. I'm going to look into replacing these. Note that I've listenned to these for about 2000 hours now over a course of 1 year.

I found the HiFiMAN pleather pads to be a great alternative.

Nov 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #373 of 751
Quick question. Ill be buying the a700x first before buying the 900x just to see or feel the comfort of them...so the questions is, are both the 700x and 900x the same in terms of design, especially the wings? some say they are not confortable, others say they are.

Im know both will sound different but i want to start of with something cheap first since Im barely getting into the whole audiophile thing lol.

Nov 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #374 of 751
Quick question. Ill be buying the a700x first before buying the 900x just to see or feel the comfort of them...so the questions is, are both the 700x and 900x the same in terms of design, especially the wings? some say they are not confortable, others say they are.

Im know both will sound different but i want to start of with something cheap first since Im barely getting into the whole audiophile thing lol.

Yes the wings are the same.
The comfort goes up from the A900X to W1000X though.
While the construction of the 700X and 900X wings seem the exact same to me.

Nov 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #375 of 751
That said, if anyone wants a near-mint 3 weeks old 900X for 160$ priority shipped, PM me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back