Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Oct 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #316 of 751
As I promised, here you can see that inner ear pad cutouts are very tiny, the quarter that you see is the US quarter. It's about 5 centimeter in diameter or 1.96 inches.

Cheers,

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #317 of 751
Went to the shoppes yesterday with the intention of walking out with either a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 or AKG K701s. This was based on reviews I've read vs my personal tastes. Tested both. Very long story short, came home with an AD900x instead. At this price, and comfort level they wow'd me!! These cans really do need more exposure. They are a great entry-mid level audiophile can.

Now my Audio-Technica collection is 3 deep. Couldn't be happier.. for now.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #318 of 751
Went to the shoppes yesterday with the intention of walking out with either a pair of Philips Fidelio X1 or AKG K701s. This was based on reviews I've read vs my personal tastes. Tested both. Very long story short, came home with an AD900x instead. At this price, and comfort level they wow'd me!! These cans really do need more exposure. They are a great entry-mid level audiophile can.

Now my Audio-Technica collection is 3 deep. Couldn't be happier.. for now.

Think you may be in the wrong thread my friend. :wink:

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #320 of 751
I've noticed something pretty cool about the thick pads. Though they are quite small, they actually don't build up a lot of heat. It's probably because of the minor clamping force and the plasticky pleather. Also since they're thick, they disperse clamping pressure over a larger area and aren't as uncomfortable like my Q701 velour pads.

Don't get me wrong, both q701 pads and a900x pads are comfortable in their own ways; but the a900x does a better job in just disappearing from existence when I have them on.

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #321 of 751

Ok, so. Here's my entire a900x mod.
The wings are modded to stay down, plus I decompressed the spring so the wings have a more downward force when the mechanism inside it pushes together to strain the wings from lifting. Plus I ordered Alpha Pads from Dan last month and got these in the mail today, these earpads were quite in demand.  I have a better camera that I'll take pictures with after I get some errands done.
I'm going to add more details to this review because I have something to do....
But quick impressions.

-Bass less punchy, less droning. (I was actually a bit disappointed these were flattened out)
-Sub bass is more prominent, it's also a natural feeling sub bass, not like artificial bass boost
-10khz peak lowered 3-5db
-Narrower soundstage
-Better instrument seperation
-Darker sound signature
-Mids a tad recessed, about 0.5 to 1 db less
-Better seal around my ears, thus improving isolation
-SSOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFTTT
Like seriously, I felt the softness of these earpads through the paper packaging.
-Regarding to softness, even though these generate more heat from my head, it just feels more comfortable.
-Less earpad contact, fabric mesh no longer touch my ears
-Heavier

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #322 of 751
Hi guys,
I don't have the headphone yet, but can anyone tell me how the earpad replacement works? I never had an Audio Technica before, so...
I have a pair of HM5 pads [I'd love to use these. My favorite earpads so far, 17 bucks for a pair from mp4nation, but they are amazing], some Beyer pads as well as HiFiMAN velour/pleather pads and some Denon pads [which are too small for me anyway...]

I will definitely have to replace the stock pads as they most likely won't fit on my ears [and I definitely don't want these huge headphones to become on ears lol]

None of the pads are angled I think... Will that be an issue?

If anyone can educate me on the pad replacing process that would be very welcome :D

Thank in advance.

Kind regards to everyone.
Luke

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #323 of 751
The earpads for the a900x are slip-in pads. Similar to Mr. Speaker's Alpha Pads, not plastic locks like the q701's or HE-6 velours. However make sure the pads are 9.5cm, if you're still unsure check if someone did the same earpad modifications as you plan to do on the internet.
You won't have issues with the non-angled pads. The drivers are already angled on the a900x, the alpha pads I added made the headphones face 30 degrees. Which really does feel awkward since it's basically like having stereo speakers now.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #324 of 751
The earpads for the a900x are slip-in pads. Similar to Mr. Speaker's Alpha Pads, not plastic locks like the q701's or HE-6 velours. However make sure the pads are 9.5cm, if you're still unsure check if someone did the same earpad modifications as you plan to do on the internet.

You won't have issues with the non-angled pads. The drivers are already angled on the a900x, the alpha pads I added made the headphones face 30 degrees. Which really does feel awkward since it's basically like having stereo speakers now.

Thanks so you just gently remove the pads by gently pulling on them and tug the new pads in place?

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #325 of 751
  Hi guys,
I don't have the headphone yet, but can anyone tell me how the earpad replacement works? I never had an Audio Technica before, so...
I have a pair of HM5 pads [I'd love to use these. My favorite earpads so far, 17 bucks for a pair from mp4nation, but they are amazing], some Beyer pads as well as HiFiMAN velour/pleather pads and some Denon pads [which are too small for me anyway...]

I will definitely have to replace the stock pads as they most likely won't fit on my ears [and I definitely don't want these huge headphones to become on ears lol]

None of the pads are angled I think... Will that be an issue?

If anyone can educate me on the pad replacing process that would be very welcome :D

Thank in advance.

Kind regards to everyone.
Luke

Don't get Maddog Alpha pads, like Nec3 said the driver is already angled and alpha pads make the sound really weird.
I replace back to the factory pads.  And again A900x is NOT A OVER-EAR PHONE, it's ON-EAR headphone with the factory pads like you mentioned.  I might try HE6/D2000/Beyer pads if is available for cheap..

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #326 of 751

Don't get Maddog Alpha pads, like Nec3 said the driver is already angled and alpha pads make the sound really weird.
I replace back to the factory pads.  And again A900x is NOT A OVER-EAR PHONE, it's ON-EAR headphone with the factory pads like you mentioned.  I might try HE6/D2000/Beyer pads if is available for cheap..

As mentioned I have all these so I will definitely try them.
My favorite is still the HM5 - they are pleather but really high quality ones. With awesome comfort, little sweating and the best sound signature for me.
I use them with the HE-6 and love it.
Now I've ordered another pair for the 900X :]

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #327 of 751
Hey guys, are these headphones "glasses-friendly"? I have to wear glasses 24/7 and I'm worried these headphones might not be a good fit (I have to buy these blind, as noone has them around here).

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #328 of 751
Hey guys, are these headphones "glasses-friendly"? I have to wear glasses 24/7 and I'm worried these headphones might not be a good fit (I have to buy these blind, as noone has them around here).

I too wear glasses and I too am buying blind.
I suppose they should be fine but I can always put the glasses in my pocket.
I'd recommend going with a different set of pads as these might be too small and stiff.
I am planning to swap them right away. The headphones should be arriving next week.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #329 of 751
Has anyone that has had the channel imbalance issue send it in for warranty / repair?

I have the one purchased at buydig a few months ago and my left channel is much louder than the right channel.  Not even that, the left earcup seals perfectly around my ear whereas the right earcup sits crooked not giving me any real sealing.

Was just wondering if anyone has ever sent these cups in for warranty / repair and what the outcome was, if they fixed it or its still imbalanced. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #330 of 751
I too wear glasses and I too am buying blind.
I suppose they should be fine but I can always put the glasses in my pocket.
I'd recommend going with a different set of pads as these might be too small and stiff.
I am planning to swap them right away. The headphones should be arriving next week.

I wear glasses too, and since this headphone is an "ON-EAR", it will give you high pressure/clamping force.
If you buy I suggest Audeze LCD2 vegan pads or Shure pads.

I had Maddog pads installed and the sound quality is horrible, seriously horrible.

You should also consider HD650 at this price point because A900x with some high-end aftermarket pads are close to $300-$350 range in total,, might just buy HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back