Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Sep 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #301 of 751

Thank's I'll check them out. I want to look into the ADs as well tho cause these have plenty of bass for me and I already know I like AT

Keep in mind Open cans don't have the bass of closed cans, the open AD 900x is a different monster all together. If you like the Ath A 900x try the W1000x, it has simmilar bass but with better everything [I own the w1000x and I sold my a900x] 

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #302 of 751
The w1000x is a bit too expensive for me but I'd like to get some pretty good open cans. Do the DT 990s have as good highs as the a900x? I don't necessarily need a lot of bass in the open cans because I was thinking of listening to mainly rap through the a900x and reggae and mellow music with guitar etc on the open cans. 
I'm still a noob when it comes to headphones but it's so addictive collecting them :) I've only got a couple, hopefully that will change tho, just need to save up a bit first. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #303 of 751
  The w1000x is a bit too expensive for me but I'd like to get some pretty good open cans. Do the DT 990s have as good highs as the a900x? I don't necessarily need a lot of bass in the open cans because I was thinking of listening to mainly rap through the a900x and reggae and mellow music with guitar etc on the open cans.
I'm still a noob when it comes to headphones but it's so addictive collecting them :) I've only got a couple, hopefully that will change tho, just need to save up a bit first.

DT990s are a completely different beast, though. Very bright, near-sibilant treble (too sibilant for some) + boomy bass. Certainly not for mellow music.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #304 of 751

DT990s are a completely different beast, though. Very bright, near-sibilant treble (too sibilant for some) + boomy bass. Certainly not for mellow music.

That is true but I own the dt 990 and imo they sound like a refined a900x, the a900x like the dt 990 has slighty sucked out mids, too much bass and a lot of treble Granted the a900x is better for rock and more laid back music, but what the ath a900x shines with, Edm and classical, the dt 990 takes to another level. The w1000x is a true upgrade to the entire a900x sound the bass is tighten a smidge but still nice and full bodied, the highs are just as a900x bright with great energy. but the sound stage is equally wide but get's deeper and the clarity improve in addition the w1000x get's some mids over the a900x.

Now that said, the dt 990 is the a900x taken to a increased level of fun, the mids are very real thanks to the mid bass hump, and the bass while bigger is still tighter thanks to the completely open back design. An I owned the dt 990 the W1000x and the Ath a 900x all at the same time, trust me. the w1000k is a more linear a900x, the dt 990 a funner a9000, both take the a900x strength in two different directions both including increased clairty and a tighter sound over all

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #305 of 751
Any know a good glue to use to fix a crack in my A900X Right Cup Hinge, I thought about Gorilla Glue but I doubt that will work on plastic. As right now I using clear tape to hole the hinge together. The wire is helping keeping it in place as well.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #306 of 751
  Any know a good glue to use to fix a crack in my A900X Right Cup Hinge, I thought about Gorilla Glue but I doubt that will work on plastic. As right now I using clear tape to hole the hinge together. The wire is helping keeping it in place as well.

In my shop, I'm often putting stuff together - steel, plastic, wood, and otherwise.

I can tell you that no glue will hold with the strength of the original,
but your best bet there is CA aka super glue aka crazy glue.

Gorilla Glue makes a very good CA (not to be confused with regular
Gorilla Glue) as it contains rubber fibers for a more impact-resistant bond
than plain CA.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #307 of 751
I'd like to thank you guys, I ordered an a900x earlier this week, I can't wait to try them. I'm a tad nervous to see if the wing support will work on my head. Where I live, there was no chance to try them before hand so I am buying blind.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #308 of 751
  I'd like to thank you guys, I ordered an a900x earlier this week, I can't wait to try them. I'm a tad nervous to see if the wing support will work on my head. Where I live, there was no chance to try them before hand so I am buying blind.

I really liked the sound signature of a900x but earpads are pretty small.
This headphone should rate it as "ON-EAR" instead of "OVER-EAR" headphone, I also tried the maddog alpha pads but because of the angled designed it gets really uncomfortable (like audeze cans).

Other than above issues, a900x is a great headphone for watching movies or for youtube. Enjoy :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #309 of 751
Throughout my life, headphones are probably the only benefit I have for having a large head and awkwardly small ears =D

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #310 of 751
They're really that small? They look bigger in pictures and youtube videos.... i think someone might have elf ears.. j/k!! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #311 of 751
LOL yeah actually my ears are pretty small. I won't go off finding a ruler for my ears but the hole in the earpads are 2 inches in diameter :wink:

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #313 of 751
  They're really that small? They look bigger in pictures and youtube videos.... i think someone might have elf ears.. j/k!! 
biggrin.gif

I will post the picture when I get home tonight but it barely fits for my 3 years old nephew. 
I probably have a large head, large ears etc... but A900x earpads are pretty small compare to other "standard" over year headphones.

You can get the Maddog pads but it will significantly increase the temperature when you wear them, ending with the sweats and uncomfortably hot.
(I don't suggest madggod pads, or any other angled pads on this headphone.)

Oct 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #314 of 751
Have any of you guys tried the w1000x ear pads? Or are they the same size too? That's kinda odd for a large cup headphone to have small openings for your ear. I always found the oval cupped drivers were the most comfortable... the perfectly round always made it hard to get a good seal.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #315 of 751
Have any of you guys tried the w1000x ear pads? Or are they the same size too? That's kinda odd for a large cup headphone to have small openings for your ear. I always found the oval cupped drivers were the most comfortable... the perfectly round always made it hard to get a good seal.

The w1000x ear pads are smaller! Very hard to put on and not worth it. I have pictures of it on the a900x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back