Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
May 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #121 of 751
I remember when I bought these about a year and half ago when I had no knowledge of headphone amplifiers/DAC's. I just plugged these into my iphone 4s and wasn't completely blown away with what I heard. How do these bebeh's sound with a good source/amplifier/DAC?
confused_face_2.gif

May 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #122 of 751
Just ordered an A900X on amazon via BeachCamera. YEAH! Hopefully there won't be any shipment delays... I can't wait to try these, I'm also hoping I don't get a defective set... I'm also gonna get a Fiio E11 Amp next week. I'll post pictures once I get in the mail, and maybe I'll even do a review :)

May 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #123 of 751
Quote:
Here's a little some food for thought.... My HE400s I just got in yesterday are pretty dang good... but heres the thing the mids on the A900x just give the middle finger to literally everything hahaha it actually keeps up with the HE400 pretty dang well! Even when I boosted the crap out of the mids to get the full body and richness I desired, guess what... It was the A900x mids I tried copying onto the HE400s LOL... I'm pretty sure this says something about how ridiculously good the mids are on the A900x.  The A900x was literally the first headphone I truly fell in love with.  

Damn, I have A900X's and I'm saving up for HE400's...

Should I not buy them anymore??

May 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #124 of 751
Quote:
Here's a little some food for thought.... My HE400s I just got in yesterday are pretty dang good... but heres the thing the mids on the A900x just give the middle finger to literally everything hahaha it actually keeps up with the HE400 pretty dang well! Even when I boosted the crap out of the mids to get the full body and richness I desired, guess what... It was the A900x mids I tried copying onto the HE400s LOL... I'm pretty sure this says something about how ridiculously good the mids are on the A900x.  The A900x was literally the first headphone I truly fell in love with.  

Nah, it's just that the HE-400 has pretty bad mid, no matter what the err, fans, try to call it, it's bad.

May 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #125 of 751
In your opinion, anyways.

It's just the coloration of the HE-400's mids that will either give it hardcore detractors or lovers.  It's colored to be up-front in the lower mids and recessed in the upper mids.  Truth be told I rather have too little upper mids than one of the myriad of headphones on the market that have too much upper mids.

May 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #126 of 751
Quote:
In your opinion, anyways.

It's just the coloration of the HE-400's mids that will either give it hardcore detractors or lovers.  It's colored to be up-front in the lower mids and recessed in the upper mids.  Truth be told I rather have too little upper mids than one of the myriad of headphones on the market that have too much upper mids.

Yes yes it is, just like practically every post describing sound here (well I guess beside measurement).

You can call it whatever you want, but for me it's pretty bad and it's something I can not live with.

May 26, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #127 of 751
Quote:
Damn, I have A900X's and I'm saving up for HE400's...

Should I not buy them anymore??

Actually the HE400s kill the A900x by quite a few blades!! The HE400s when EQed properly, literally fixed every single flaw that the A900x including the lack of transparency, slightly metallic edge on the vocals, and just the sheer ability of the HE400 to blow through complex songs like In My Mind by Ivan Gough where the treble and bass mix is just too complicated for the A900x and becomes muddled together.  With the HE400 its perfect detail every single time! 

Also Iaon, story is when I first heard the HE400s straight out of the box I almost cried because the mids were so bad hahaha...  The mids on the A900x spoiled me soo very much... After some EQing with the help of the A900x (I literally copied the SQ on the A900x mids LOL) on an HE400 I think you'd retract your statement about the HE400s being bad on the mids... The ortho drivers inside the HE400 are very capable of delivery some seriously kick arse vocals and mids hahaha 
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #128 of 751
Quote:
Actually the HE400s kill the A900x by quite a few blades!! The HE400s when EQed properly, literally fixed every single flaw that the A900x including the lack of transparency, slightly metallic edge on the vocals, and just the sheer ability of the HE400 to blow through complex songs like In My Mind by Ivan Gough where the treble and bass mix is just too complicated for the A900x and becomes muddled together.  With the HE400 its perfect detail every single time!

If you have to EQ it, must not be very good then.

May 27, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #132 of 751
Saying "I dont EQ" is the headfi version of e-peen. Ridiculous and moronic. Every component in your system, including the headphones, changes the sound in some way. Only the sound producer/engineer knows exactly what the recording sounds like. This topic has been covered before, search for it in the special-ed section of the forums. 

May 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #133 of 751
Quote:
Saying "I dont EQ" is the headfi version of e-peen. Ridiculous and moronic. Every component in your system, including the headphones, changes the sound in some way. Only the sound producer/engineer knows exactly what the recording sounds like. This topic has been covered before, search for it in the special-ed section of the forums. 

All you needed to say was "To Each His Own".

May 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #134 of 751
I am interested in these new ATH-A900Xs, since the pleather of the pads of my old ATH-A500s is coming of...
However...I am wondering, how much improvement do the A900Xs have over the A900s? I found the difference between the A500s and the A900s not that significant.

Another thing that worries me is the hype-factor about these headphones, I remember very clearly when I was lurking this forum for the fist time the Denon D2000s had just came out and everyone who owned the A900s sold them and went for the D2000s, which were far superior. All of the sudden the mids of the A900s were sucked out, the sound was hollow and little cohesive etc.

Fast forward: everyone who loved the D2000s now feel the A900Xs 'blow the D2000's out of the water'???
What is happening here?

I have read a couple of posts that say the A900Xs are a tiny improvement over the A900s. If so I don't think I am interested in them. Could anyone shed a light on this one?

May 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #135 of 751
They're $170 with a one month return policy. Just do it and decide for yourself lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back