Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
May 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #106 of 751
Hmmm...already have the A900x, also the Senn 650's, which are open, beloved by many. While they do sound great, I think I like the meat on tha A900x better. Boy, talk about obsessing...

May 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #107 of 751
The Sennheiser fit (for me) is much better than the AT wing thingamagig.

May 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #109 of 751
It's too bad the wing system does not work for everyone. It does work well for me and it's sure nice not having any pressure on top of my head. The system alone makes them the most comfortable of any of the 10 pair of phones I have even beating the ultra lush Beyers.

I am very impressed with A900X. Even though they don't work with my Lyr (noisy), they do work beautifully with my Asgard (perfectly quiet) and respond to volume very nicely without distorting. They can sound pretty tight and punchy with the right recordings.

I am so impressed with them, I ordered a set of W1000X from Buydig. The price there is just too good to pass up. It looks like they only have 7 pair left and then who knows what. Wood cups, dual entry cabling, great reviews, great price......sounds like I can't go wrong.

May 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #110 of 751
Quote:
It's too bad the wing system does not work for everyone. It does work well for me and it's sure nice not having any pressure on top of my head. The system alone makes them the most comfortable of any of the 10 pair of phones I have even beating the ultra lush Beyers.

I am very impressed with A900X. Even though they don't work with my Lyr (noisy), they do work beautifully with my Asgard (perfectly quiet) and respond to volume very nicely without distorting. They can sound pretty tight and punchy with the right recordings.

I am so impressed with them, I ordered a set of W1000X from Buydig. The price there is just too good to pass up. It looks like they only have 7 pair left and then who knows what. Wood cups, dual entry cabling, great reviews, great price......sounds like I can't go wrong.

The W1000X is a solid upgrade over the A900X. I think you'll be very happy with them -- they're my favorite headphone under $500 really.

Be careful though. I started with the A900X two months ago, upgraded to the W1000X one month ago, and now I've got the W3000ANV. It looks like the L3000 are next.

May 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #111 of 751
Quote:
Hmmm...already have the A900x, also the Senn 650's, which are open, beloved by many. While they do sound great, I think I like the meat on tha A900x better. Boy, talk about obsessing...

Same experience. Preferred the A900X over the 650s. And you don't need an expensive amp to make the ATs sound good.

In regards to the wing system, have you guys tried using a hair-tie or shoe lace? I used a shoe lace to secure the wings on mine, and they were probably one of the most comfortable headphones I've owned.

May 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #112 of 751
Tried a hair band, better but still not great, probably have to try a number of different size bands and see which is the best

May 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #113 of 751
I'm about a week away from purchasing mine with a portable amplifier. (Fiio E11) I've owned many headphones through out my childhood leading up to my age (25) and I'm at the point that it's time to invest in quality/flagship headphones that offer superior sound compared to what I've used in the past. I'm a long time user, infact I'd call myself a headphone enthusiast because of how long I've used headphones as a primary source for listening to music. I think that the A900X's are a really good choice for superior sound when it comes to top tier closed/sealed headphones. Sure, open air headphones will obviously provide the most accurate sounds, but when I'm listening to my Trance library, it's always outdoors, which open air headphones aren't really meant for. Sure, you can still do it, but I don't want ambient noises distracting my trance sessions. I'm sure most of you can agree. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to invest in these headphones.

May 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #115 of 751
Are you really going to be walking around with the a900x? Last time I walked around, the headphone's wing system gave me a triangular shaped hairstyle after looking like Princess Leia ._.

May 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #116 of 751
Quote:
Are you really going to be walking around with the a900x? Last time I walked around, the headphone's wing system gave me a triangular shaped hairstyle after looking like Princess Leia ._.

Yeah. But I live on the West Coast in a tourist town, so it won't be too hard to walk out of distance and away from prying eyes. But you're absolutely right, because I've thought about it too, wearing these in public will give people the impression that I'm from outer space. I don't mind though, as long as these headphones give me a prime listening experience.

May 21, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #117 of 751
I'm gonna purchase a pair of these with my pay check next week on amazon.com. I'll be ordering them through "Beach Camera". It'll run me about $160. Plus I'll be getting a Fiio E11 with my headphones :) I'm gonna mod them too :) I'm excited to get these headphones.

May 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #118 of 751
Here's a little some food for thought.... My HE400s I just got in yesterday are pretty dang good... but heres the thing the mids on the A900x just give the middle finger to literally everything hahaha it actually keeps up with the HE400 pretty dang well! Even when I boosted the crap out of the mids to get the full body and richness I desired, guess what... It was the A900x mids I tried copying onto the HE400s LOL... I'm pretty sure this says something about how ridiculously good the mids are on the A900x.  The A900x was literally the first headphone I truly fell in love with.  

May 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #119 of 751
Quote:
Here's a little some food for thought.... My HE400s I just got in yesterday are pretty dang good... but heres the thing the mids on the A900x just give the middle finger to literally everything hahaha it actually keeps up with the HE400 pretty dang well! Even when I boosted the crap out of the mids to get the full body and richness I desired, guess what... It was the A900x mids I tried copying onto the HE400s LOL... I'm pretty sure this says something about how ridiculously good the mids are on the A900x.  The A900x was literally the first headphone I truly fell in love with.  

That's good to hear.

May 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #120 of 751
Quote:
I have the same rolled off bass problem and I'm not a basshead but I was beginning to think it was just me, but after seeing your posts I am convinced they are defective. I contacted MalVeauX, who was extremely helpful in the matter, and he said the bass on these is comparable to the DT770 and D2000. I've seen the A900X likened to those headphones by others too, so I expected decent bass to say the least. The bass on my pair is significantly worse than my ATH-A700 and from everything I've read in comparison of these models, which is to say everything Google has picked up on the topic, these are supposed to be improved over both the lower 700 model and the old non-X series.

I've been burning them in but it hasn't made a difference. With several of these incidents popping up I think we got a bad batch or something. Contact BuyDig, the problem is Audio-Technica's QC issues and not theirs. They had great customer service and were quick to replace my previous defective pair that had mismatched drivers. I'm trying to return them now but there seems to be a simple misunderstanding:
So if more people report this anemic bass defect, they will understand the scope of the problem here.

NO....yours are defective.

I have the ATH-A700 and the A900x SHOULD have better bass response.

They could be wired out of phase or there could be a driver issue.

Return them. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back