Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Apr 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #91 of 751
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm using the stock pads and a rubber band around the wings for a better fit so the seal is pretty good. Squeezing the cups against my ears for a perfect seal improves the isolation a bit but it's not really a significant change in SQ so I don't think that's the problem.

Does anywhere near you have a demo pair? My suspicion is that they're faulty.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #92 of 751
Quote:
Personally, if you're going to go that route I'd just get the E17 and see how much you like that before you go all in with the E17/E9K set up.  The E17 is a DAC/AMP combo when you use the USB input from a computer or other source. That'd save you a little cash in the whole process and the E17 can be a used as a portable rig or desk set up. 

Hmm, I'm debating if I should just get the schiit for home and the E17 for portability but my wallet is already cursing me for getting into this hobby (I'm a college student). I already have a Sony MDR-7509HD, ATH-M50, and HD598 for my headphones, let alone some really nice IEMs took. That's why I'm asking so I won't have to spend so much money lol. I really thank you for your input on this. I just need to be patient and do some more research on it, even though I've been researching for a few months now
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #93 of 751
Hello all you expert. I just have a couple questions to see if there is a chance I received a defective pair of 900x.

1. How is the bass on these compare to the ath-m50? To me the m50 have tighter and more solid bass which makes music sound warm. On these its soft so the music feels a bit harsh than the m50. I'm not a basshead just that I feel the bass is more presence on the m50

2. What is the typical burn in time on these? I'm burning them in by playing my iPod playlist at 70% volume through them for about 15hrs now. I'm hoping that I will hear some more bass after burn in period

Any thought or respond would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #94 of 751
The A900X don't seem very bassy to me at all, but they sound about right.

My JH13, HF-2 and W1000X are all (much) heavier on the bass relatively (in ascending order of bassiness).

I don't remember much about the M50s except that I hated them.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #95 of 751
I use the m50s for mixing and monitoring for those purposes they work extremely well and the result is very accurate compare to monitor speakers.

Any more thoughts to help me decide wheather or not I should return/exchange or that my pair is working properly

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #96 of 751
I use the m50s for mixing and monitoring for those purposes they work extremely well and the result is very accurate compare to monitor speakers.

Any more thoughts to help me decide wheather or not I should return/exchange or that my pair is working properly

I have the same rolled off bass problem and I'm not a basshead but I was beginning to think it was just me, but after seeing your posts I am convinced they are defective. I contacted MalVeauX, who was extremely helpful in the matter, and he said the bass on these is comparable to the DT770 and D2000. I've seen the A900X likened to those headphones by others too, so I expected decent bass to say the least. The bass on my pair is significantly worse than my ATH-A700 and from everything I've read in comparison of these models, which is to say everything Google has picked up on the topic, these are supposed to be improved over both the lower 700 model and the old non-X series.

I've been burning them in but it hasn't made a difference. With several of these incidents popping up I think we got a bad batch or something. Contact BuyDig, the problem is Audio-Technica's QC issues and not theirs. They had great customer service and were quick to replace my previous defective pair that had mismatched drivers. I'm trying to return them now but there seems to be a simple misunderstanding:
We only compensate for return shipping when the product is defective . Since this product is is not defective you would need to pay for the return shipping .
So if more people report this anemic bass defect, they will understand the scope of the problem here.

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #98 of 751
Got these today and so far liking them, on the burn in now.

Comfortable for sure, but they make their weight felt. The headband is odd imo, should have been a better design. The biggest surprise was that they are made in Japan, for the price, great!

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #99 of 751
First of all, tseliottt thanks for the shoe string mod. makes them fit perfect.

I have both A900X and M50. Each is really great for different things, they compliment each other.

A900X: worn at home on the PC and amp. Soundstage is great, midrange pronounced, where you can hear all the instruments. Even if the song is harsh in some areas, they smooth the song out. It just seems to make music colorful. You don't have to listen to them too loud, because they are very rich. I like these more for pop, classical, jazz.

M50: Better for portable or use without amp. Enjoy them at work, on the airplane or in a hotel. They have a V shape EQ, so the bass is more. I pair them with Cowon devices. Great isolation from outside voices. It is really an all around great phone. You know this with their popularity. I like these phones for 70's, 80's and rock. Anytime you want the thump!

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #100 of 751
I'd like to hear some of your opinions of your estimated frequency responses after 100 hours with the a900x.

My headphones became flat in the mid ranges, the highs no longer pierce my ears but still sparkle, and the boomy part of the bass kicked in. Overall adding to a comfortable listening experience, but I do however miss my forwarded mids.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #101 of 751
Just wanted to put out there that the a900x are really good for gaming, i can't say to much about music quality since i don't use it music really, but for pc gaming it has really impressed me. One thing i noticed was at first it was a bit tricky for me to pin point exactly the direction certain sounds where coming from, which can be a bit disorienting when trying to spin the camera around quickly and finding the guy shooting you, just from the audio. However over time either the headphones burn in and the sounds became even clearer or i got use to how the headset is, but its now night and day. I recently played bioshock infinite using my desktop speakers (logitech z5500 + creative creative fatality titanium sound card and they are calibrated for my room), it started to rain outside so i switched to my the headphones and it was just sooo much better, the sound balance and sound stage it created really made the city of colombia come alive and feel warm. After experiencing the difference I only played bioshock with the headphones until i completed the game. 

So this is my appreciation for these's headphones, and not to sell it short i also used an astro a40 quite extensively but my preference is still to pick up the a900x for gaming.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #102 of 751
Quote:
I'd like to hear some of your opinions of your estimated frequency responses after 100 hours with the a900x.

My headphones became flat in the mid ranges, the highs no longer pierce my ears but still sparkle, and the boomy part of the bass kicked in. Overall adding to a comfortable listening experience, but I do however miss my forwarded mids.

I haven't noticed any lack in the mids and I'm well over the 100 hour mark, but i could just have forgotten about that part initially. I have noticed that the bass is more present in the mix but I don't find it overpowering.   

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #103 of 751
How do you guys wear your a900x, near the back of your head or near your face?

Mine are near the back of my head, there's approximately 7.5mm of a gap that allows sound from behind me to enter my headphones. My head isn't that big so in order to prevent the wings from sliding off my head I had to place it there. These are pretty hard pads [harder than my siberia v2's] so they seal nevertheless after the material starts to shape itself after compressing to my head.

May 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #104 of 751
Always have issues with the fit of the phones/wings. Have a small head. Had other AT similar phones, same problem. Used the rubber band on the wings, helped but kinda tight now, need to try different bands. Anyway, curious if anyone has both the A-900x and the AD-900x and has comparisons between them. I went for the A900x, always wondered if I should have gone with the open phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

May 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #105 of 751
Quote:
Always have issues with the fit of the phones/wings. Have a small head. Had other AT similar phones, same problem. Used the rubber band on the wings, helped but kinda tight now, need to try different bands. Anyway, curious if anyone has both the A-900x and the AD-900x and has comparisons between them. I went for the A900x, always wondered if I should have gone with the open phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Better soundstage vs more impactful, present bass. Whichever is more important to you. Those are the two biggest differences/tradeoffs,

If you feel that the A900x is too "closed in" with too much bass, then maybe the AD900x is better for you. Personally, the bass in the A900x makes it a better fit for me. The AD900x really do have a wonderful soundstage compared to the A900x, and the A900x themselves aren't too shabby for a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back