Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #77 of 751
I just bought a pair of A900x's and I have to say I'm really liking them.
These are my very first pair of higher-end headphones, having used Logitech G930s for the past..4 years?
Right out of the box I switched the stock ear pads for AD700 ear pads and what a mistake that was! They were stupid comfortable but damn it killed the bass.  So if you don't like bass...put those ear pads them :p

One thing I've noticed though is that it doesn't feel like it's covering my whole ear, even though it is...when I put the Logitech G930s back on, it feels like home.  I'm guessing this is just because I've been using G930s for so long? How long do these things normally take to break in?

But other than that...I love them! Sounds so much crisper than the G930s.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #78 of 751
$129 at ebay - new and free shipping

http://9to5toys.com/2013/04/06/audio-technica-ath-a900x-audiophile-closed-back-dynamic-headphones-129-free-shipping/

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #79 of 751
Quote:
Just recieved my set from the BuyDig sale, doing the burn-in right now. My question is that since this is replacing some truly awful Logitech G35s (yeah, I know) - I will need a new way to plug this into my desktop. So my question for you guys is this: Do I buy a dac/amp for this for my desktop/home use (Been eyeing the Modi + Magni), or do I get a nice sound card (Xonar STX, I suppose)? I don't use speakers, so using the DAC/amp would be fine, and I'd just plug the zalman mic into my onboard sound (which is atrocious for listening).

Ideas?

I just got one from BuyDig as well and am super excited to get them
Quote:
I have mine paired with the Modi/Magni and I love it.  For an extra $200 you can't go wrong!

As I have many headphones and have never gotten a DAC/AMP combo before I was wondering if you or anyone else would like to help me figure this out. I have been trying to research this for a long time and understand DAC/AMP info. I know nothing about this but from what I'm reading the Modi/Magni is a great combo for these headphones but how do they compare with the O2+ODAC or the E17+E9k. I am going to get one of these combos and was wondering on everyone's input. Also if anyone has a beginners guide for this, I tried searching everywhere for a noob/beginners guide to amps and dacs. I would really like to learn about this stuff as I have no friends into this and my wallet is already cursing me for purchasing so many headphones now so I want to make the right purchase the first time if that is possible lol.

Thank you guys and I can't wait to get these headphones

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #80 of 751
Finally, I decided to do 2 months of research of headphones under $300. I had my eyes on with the k701's. It was my definite buy. But then I saw an amplifier was needed for the full experience, and it's open back so my parents wouldn't exactly like gunshots pouring out of mini-speakers.

So. I my final decision was to order the a900x for $200 (which is a great deal compared to the original $315 price tag). It was no disappointment. The frequency boost I used with the siberia v2's are now flat. The a900x requires no equalizer in my book, the bass is there when the song requests it, and the highs are nice and crispy. I've been using it for 54 hours now since friday, every chance I get, even before bed.

The treble is less harsh, and the bass is coming back compared when I first got them. I'm not sure if this is burn in, or if it's just my ears adapting. If I could wear it everywhere, I would. But the wings give me a weird hairdo and these are big ************* cans!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did a wing mod for these headphones. I took apart the wings and did 2 things. I stretched the solid springs so the wings don't lift too high when they're put on my head. I also rotated a white piece that changes the wings orientation so that they are 45 degrees lower when relaxed.
Everytime I put these on, they fit just nicely, they never slide down my ears.
I don't recommend this mod though, the manufacturers heat treat the screws before screwing them into the plastic. This ensures that the screws never come out. Without the exact fitted screw bit and right torque, these screws WILL strip, and they have. I was lucky to have a screw the right size lying around.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update!

Alright, so it has been a week and I've had 100 hours in on these headphones.

What improved?
-Highs are no longer painful, but still having the nice sparkle on the highs.
-There is now bass! A punchy, low-frequency presence that is very enjoyable. If a song pulls out the bass notes, then the a900x will perform accordingly. If I want to show off the headphones then pushing 55hz +18db make the cans rumble heavenly!

The a900x is my first entry level headphones. In plenty of ways they have changed the way I listen to music. No longer blaring my music, all songs are played with no equalizer or enhancements. Before I used to always use an equalizer in a V shape. Now I prefer a flat EQ, and whatever songs/games/movies I throw at it, it takes it in well. [Dubstep, techno, trance, rock, hardrock, classical, jazz]

I'm glad that these are 42 ohms, decent amplifiers seem costly. However I don't see myself in NEEDING one since my sony walkman/onboard does fine.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #81 of 751
Quote:
Just got these bad boys and paired them with my E11 and WOW these are awesome! Bass is perfect and mids are beautiful. Only complaint I have is the length of the cable. Anything I could do to make it shorter?

Short of a recabling, I would just get a cable tie. :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #82 of 751
In terms of portability and use with an iPod, how would you guys compare this to the K550's?

I'm having a hard time finding a reason to keep these if they aren't portable...the only reason might be that I would require closed headphones instead of open ones in my apartment and need to use them for a long period of time (since I assume they are much more comfortable over a longer period of time than the K550's)

Also, what amps would you guys recommend to go with a 4th generation iPod (and eventually an iPod Classic)?

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #83 of 751
Quote:
In terms of portability and use with an iPod, how would you guys compare this to the K550's?

I'm having a hard time finding a reason to keep these if they aren't portable...the only reason might be that I would require closed headphones instead of open ones in my apartment and need to use them for a long period of time (since I assume they are much more comfortable over a longer period of time than the K550's)

Also, what amps would you guys recommend to go with a 4th generation iPod (and eventually an iPod Classic)?

The K550 is more portable, imo. You can at least fold it and throw it in your bag. The A900X has those bulky wings and plastic bands which are impractical as portables. They both run easily out of phones & mp3 players.

If you want portability, why are you looking at the K550 in the first place? I see it being advertised as portables and also see it frequently recommended here as commuting cans, when in reality they are not portable at all. Go with a pair of ESW9's and be done with it.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #84 of 751
I walked around with the a900x, it was heavenly. So much sound isolation [compared to my bose ie2 earbuds], and heavenly music everywhere I walked.

But it seriously is a pain in the neck, and the moderate clamping force of the headphones made me nervous sometimes.

They did not fold, nor does Audio Technica sell cases [not that I know of] for the headphones, so the k550 will be your "better" option.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #85 of 751
Quote:

I just got one from BuyDig as well and am super excited to get them
As I have many headphones and have never gotten a DAC/AMP combo before I was wondering if you or anyone else would like to help me figure this out. I have been trying to research this for a long time and understand DAC/AMP info. I know nothing about this but from what I'm reading the Modi/Magni is a great combo for these headphones but how do they compare with the O2+ODAC or the E17+E9k. I am going to get one of these combos and was wondering on everyone's input. Also if anyone has a beginners guide for this, I tried searching everywhere for a noob/beginners guide to amps and dacs. I would really like to learn about this stuff as I have no friends into this and my wallet is already cursing me for purchasing so many headphones now so I want to make the right purchase the first time if that is possible lol.

Thank you guys and I can't wait to get these headphones

I don't know about the O2.  I have an E17 for my portable(ish) rig with the a900x's and I enjoy it.  IMO the E17 is a little warm but it still puts out a great sound.  Between the Schiit and the E17 i'd  go with the Schiit. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #86 of 751
Quote:
I don't know about the O2.  I have an E17 for my portable(ish) rig with the a900x's and I enjoy it.  IMO the E17 is a little warm but it still puts out a great sound.  Between the Schiit and the E17 i'd  go with the Schiit. 

Thank you for your response. I can't wait till I get these to hear them as I've heard people only praise them except for the size and comfort on small heads (I have a big head so no worries
bigsmile_face.gif
). If I get the E17 you think I should get the E9k for the combo or would it not make that big of a difference? I am literally waiting on some responses and I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these 3 amp/dac combos.

Thank you again for your response. I know I'm using this thread to help me make the decision but I didn't want to create another thread just for this

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #87 of 751
Quote:
Thank you for your response. I can't wait till I get these to hear them as I've heard people only praise them except for the size and comfort on small heads (I have a big head so no worries
bigsmile_face.gif
). If I get the E17 you think I should get the E9k for the combo or would it not make that big of a difference? I am literally waiting on some responses and I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these 3 amp/dac combos.

Thank you again for your response. I know I'm using this thread to help me make the decision but I didn't want to create another thread just for this

Personally, if you're going to go that route I'd just get the E17 and see how much you like that before you go all in with the E17/E9K set up.  The E17 is a DAC/AMP combo when you use the USB input from a computer or other source. That'd save you a little cash in the whole process and the E17 can be a used as a portable rig or desk set up. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #88 of 751
Is it normal for these to have less bass than the A700? I got a replacement for another pair which had mismatched drivers, but now the bass is anemic and compared side-by-side with my A700 they have almost no bass. From what I've read everywhere and seen in frequency response graphs, the bass is supposed to be better than the old non-x series and especially better than the lower 700 models.

Everything else about them is good though and it would be a shame regardless of whether this is another defective pair or if they are supposed to have such weak bass. If they're supposed to sound this way (worse bass than original A700) I'm considering returning anyway because these were supposed to be an upgrade from that. It's very hard to EQ these without ruining the mids and highs of the sound signature Audio-Technica is revered for, and I use several different sources so it's not an option I want to stick with.

I thought being "Made in Japan" would help avoid these QC issues.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #89 of 751
Quote:
Is it normal for these to have less bass than the A700? I got a replacement for another pair which had mismatched drivers, but now the bass is anemic and compared side-by-side with my A700 they have almost no bass. From what I've read everywhere and seen in frequency response graphs, the bass is supposed to be better than the old non-x series and especially better than the lower 700 models.

Everything else about them is good though and it would be a shame regardless of whether this is another defective pair or if they are supposed to have such weak bass. If they're supposed to sound this way (worse bass than original A700) I'm considering returning anyway because these were supposed to be an upgrade from that. It's very hard to EQ these without ruining the mids and highs of the sound signature Audio-Technica is revered for, and I use several different sources so it's not an option I want to stick with.

I thought being "Made in Japan" would help avoid these QC issues.

They are supposed to have pretty strong bass. Are you getting a good seal with them? Stock pads? There was another person who complained the A900X had less bass than his AD700 and the culprit was he was using AD700 velours and the ehadphone wasn't sealing correctly.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #90 of 751
They are supposed to have pretty strong bass. Are you getting a good seal with them? Stock pads? There was another person who complained the A900X had less bass than his AD700 and the culprit was he was using AD700 velours and the ehadphone wasn't sealing correctly.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the stock pads and a rubber band around the wings for a better fit so the seal is pretty good. Squeezing the cups against my ears for a perfect seal improves the isolation a bit but it's not really a significant change in SQ so I don't think that's the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back