Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Aug 25, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #513 of 751
@perhapss And do they also sell the open version as well? Because that's the one I'm interested in actually.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, do they ship to Europe?
smily_headphones1.gif
So I take they don't have an English language site.

I got the open one from them too(ath-ad900x).

As for the rest of the details you ask about, I recommend contacting them yourself.
If you google "Bic Camera English site" you will get some translated info.

For the record, I am not a representative for them and will not be in Japan again for another month.....

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #515 of 751
Can anyone compare these to the PSB m4u 1? Are these two headphones even in the same class?

I have the NAD  HP-50, which is very similar to the PSB, and it's superior in every way, except sound stage size to the ATH-A900x, which I also own.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #516 of 751
Hey everyone! I just got a set of these and I'm in love :) exactly what I was looking for. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 250's and I had a pair of AKG K712Pro's (these replaced the 712's) and I couldn't be happier. The 712's had a bit better sound stage but the low end was utter crap IMO, it just wasn't there. These A900's are amazing and I love how they are a bit bass heavy (I listen to a lot of electronic/dubstep) and they are working wonders. They don't take to much to drive but with the Lyr pushing them I can get them going pretty well with ample power and they can really crank.

My only complaint is the leather pads, I'm a clean-shaven dude so they're sitting on skin and I find that they get pretty hot. I saw that some people tried some other velour pads but they lost some low end. Does anyone have suggestions for what I could do to replace the stock pads while keeping the low end the way it is?

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #517 of 751
  Hey everyone! I just got a set of these and I'm in love :) exactly what I was looking for. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 250's and I had a pair of AKG K712Pro's (these replaced the 712's) and I couldn't be happier. The 712's had a bit better sound stage but the low end was utter crap IMO, it just wasn't there. These A900's are amazing and I love how they are a bit bass heavy (I listen to a lot of electronic/dubstep) and they are working wonders. They don't take to much to drive but with the Lyr pushing them I can get them going pretty well with ample power and they can really crank.

My only complaint is the leather pads, I'm a clean-shaven dude so they're sitting on skin and I find that they get pretty hot. I saw that some people tried some other velour pads but they lost some low end. Does anyone have suggestions for what I could do to replace the stock pads while keeping the low end the way it is?

These do worked well - http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=111 although they're a really tight fit.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #518 of 751
I've been away from full size headphones for a while and have turned to iems for the past year with shure 846 and Ie800 .. and now kind of miss having a set of large headphones at my desk. But also I always found I could only have headphones on for a maximum 1-2 hours where as I can have iems in all day.

These ATs really got my attention when someone said it had very large sound stage which I love on my IE800 .. but also lush standout vocals which  I also love on the shure846 ... I didn't think these 2 things can co-exist. 

Early on I had DT880 which I thought had such thin and bland sound. then M50s which were ok but a bit compressed sounding and recessed mids. Shure 940 was my favorite pair but after a while, it just didn't have any bass even compared to a set of sony MH1 $15 iems. That's when I sold all my large headphones. I also had the PSB M4U 1 but found it a bit murky in the bass that covered up the mids too much. 

does anyone have the A900X that also have the ie800 or shure 846 that can give me a idea of the differences are? or do you think no matter how good iems are, they will never match a set of full size headphones. 

I'm into females vocals as my main preference so lush and very clear vocals is essential ... has good bass impact but doesn't need to be overly done. Do you guys think the A900X is what I'l looking for? do you think these will be a good compliment to the ie800 and 846 in terms of me wanting something that has wide sound stage, clear slightly forward vocals, great instrument separation?

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #519 of 751
  I've been away from full size headphones for a while and have turned to iems for the past year with shure 846 and Ie800 .. and now kind of miss having a set of large headphones at my desk. But also I always found I could only have headphones on for a maximum 1-2 hours where as I can have iems in all day.

These ATs really got my attention when someone said it had very large sound stage which I love on my IE800 .. but also lush standout vocals which  I also love on the shure846 ... I didn't think these 2 things can co-exist. 

Early on I had DT880 which I thought had such thin and bland sound. then M50s which were ok but a bit compressed sounding and recessed mids. Shure 940 was my favorite pair but after a while, it just didn't have any bass even compared to a set of sony MH1 $15 iems. That's when I sold all my large headphones. I also had the PSB M4U 1 but found it a bit murky in the bass that covered up the mids too much. 

does anyone have the A900X that also have the ie800 or shure 846 that can give me a idea of the differences are? or do you think no matter how good iems are, they will never match a set of full size headphones. 

I'm into females vocals as my main preference so lush and very clear vocals is essential ... has good bass impact but doesn't need to be overly done. Do you guys think the A900X is what I'l looking for? do you think these will be a good compliment to the ie800 and 846 in terms of me wanting something that has wide sound stage, clear slightly forward vocals, great instrument separation?

I'm not going to regard the IE800's as I've never had them before, but I'll give you an answer until someone can compare the two.

The A900X has lush, forward, clear vocals, these headphones have you covered here. The mids are as good as my open back (Q701's).
Bass impact is punchy (a bit boomy for some people but I actually like this for all of my music because it's a bit like movie theatre fun sounding bass).
Sparkly treble that shines on good audio recordings and completely destroys bad recordings.
Instrument separation and soundstage is great, I picked these for soundstage over Astro A40 gaming headsets.

I'm going to tell every newcomer to the A900X this, but there are fit concerns. If you have a somewhat large head and average ears, these are the headphones for you.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #520 of 751

I'm not going to regard the IE800's as I've never had them before, but I'll give you an answer until someone can compare the two.

The A900X has lush, forward, clear vocals, these headphones have you covered here. The mids are as good as my open back (Q701's).
Bass impact is punchy (a bit boomy for some people but I actually like this for all of my music because it's a bit like movie theatre fun sounding bass).
Sparkly treble that shines on good audio recordings and completely destroys bad recordings.
Instrument separation and soundstage is great, I picked these for soundstage over Astro A40 gaming headsets.

I'm going to tell every newcomer to the A900X this, but there are fit concerns. If you have a somewhat large head and average ears, these are the headphones for you.

that's exactly what I wanted to hear and looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for and I don't really want to spend too much more than these .. thanks for the info.
I have read through everything I can about these and I know fitting could be an issue but I also like to tinker with things until they're right .. so as long as the sound quality is there. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #521 of 751
  that's exactly what I wanted to hear and looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for and I don't really want to spend too much more than these .. thanks for the info.
I have read through everything I can about these and I know fitting could be an issue but I also like to tinker with things until they're right .. so as long as the sound quality is there. 

Good luck on your spendages! Is there something that's holding you back from getting open back headphones? You seem well equipped with closed and open might be a nice change. Considering you have an O2+ODAC, you can drive pretty much every mid-fi and some hi-fi headphones.

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #522 of 751

Good luck on your spendages! Is there something that's holding you back from getting open back headphones? You seem well equipped with closed and open might be a nice change. Considering you have an O2+ODAC, you can drive pretty much every mid-fi and some hi-fi headphones.

thanks mate :) I do want to own a pair of open headphones in the future but I don't think I can find use of it. I work from home so while the wife and kids are at work I tend to use speakers but when they're around, I want to block them out while I have to work .. and at night my wife has to study and prepare for classes so she doesn't like music while she has to read or mark papers. So yeh ... I can't seem to have a time to use open headphones and especially not in bed while the wife is asleep.

Buy anyway ... I would take on any suggestions on open headphones that has a wide sound stage with solid full vocals .. I really do like the AT sound and love my IM70 iems.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #523 of 751
  thanks mate :) I do want to own a pair of open headphones in the future but I don't think I can find use of it. I work from home so while the wife and kids are at work I tend to use speakers but when they're around, I want to block them out while I have to work .. and at night my wife has to study and prepare for classes so she doesn't like music while she has to read or mark papers. So yeh ... I can't seem to have a time to use open headphones and especially not in bed while the wife is asleep.

Buy anyway ... I would take on any suggestions on open headphones that has a wide sound stage with solid full vocals .. I really do like the AT sound and love my IM70 iems.

Well hey I suppose closed headphones are your top priority right now. Unfortunately headphones under the $300 range are not very versatile in doing everything "perfectly" so it all just comes down to research in what you want. Under the $300 mark (when they go on sale) there are the

Sennheiser HD600's
DT-990 Pro 250 ohm
AKG Q701's
ATH-AD900X

However if you think you already have a good speaker setup, I see no reason in investing open back headphones :p
I stuck with my A900X + ODAC/O2 for an entire year without using another headphone (not that I had other ones). Currently they have ~4000 hours of usage so that says something for itself.

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #524 of 751

Hiya, I have the audio technica ATH-A900X & have barely used them, I'm looking to sell them & are on ebay uk, if your interested, please let me know? The link for ebay is:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171448282181?nav=SEARCH

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #525 of 751
My a900x arrived today ... I could not resist when eBay had 15% off everything and we're only $160 delivered!
Thanks everyone for the review and description of these ... They're exactly as described. They are wonderfully musical ... They ARE like shure 940s with bass.
Just out of the box I knew I liked them already. It's probably not as tight and controlled as my shure 846 but soundstage is much more outstanding being big and wide and doesn't sound like a closed headphone. It's really nice and airy but vocals are full and solid and forward which I just love. Clarity is great too.

Haven't been into full size for a while but this makes the dt880 sound completely bland and boring and very flat.
The shure940 I had lacked bass but was one of my favourite headphones... The 900x is better IMO.
Not a comparison with the m50 either... The m50 doesn't have that airiness nor the wonderful mids... The m50 is so much more closed in and I didn't like the recessed mids.
Compared to the psb m4u, I thought the bass wasn't tight enough and was bloating into the mids and made everything abit muffled.

So even with just a few hours listening, these are the best full size I've had. It has that wonderful forward vocals I want from the 846 while having a big airy soundstage of my ie800.
Comfort wise ... They're quite good ... Nothing a little rubber band couldnt fix and is very comfortable for me.
Tried to tighten the spring inside but didn't have any success yet....will try again when I have time.

It's a keeper. I think I will buy another set for my best friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back