Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Dec 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #391 of 751
Try using double-sided tape? Won't leave residue and unless you're violent with the headphones the pads should stay in place. I'm actually curious about how the angled pads might affect the sound.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #392 of 751
I have the A900 non X.  I dont know if the sound is similar.  I have read that 900x has just a litle more bass. Am I right?

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #393 of 751
  I don't think an amp is required with these at all. I used the A900 non-X for years without an amp straight from a portable source and they worked great. I found little improvement when I used an amp, they're just super easy headphones to drive.

I agree.  I have had the same experience with A900 non X

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #394 of 751
So I got around to have 3 pads on the a900x. The stock, the HE-400 pleathers, and the alpha pads.

Stock: What the a900x was meant to sound, full bodied mids, punchy bass, sparkly highs. Although after 3000 hours of use, the pads flattened and my ears began to touch the earpads which got a tad annoying there.

HE-400 pleathers: These were hard to install, I was basically wrestling for them to fit on. The comfort is better in a way that my ears no longer touch the top, but I'm not able to get a good seal because of my large head and the thicker pads.

Mids were a tiny bit leaner, although it doesn't sound like the audio technica full mids that I usually hear. Bass isn't as punchy, in fact I think the bass is a bit muddy, and the warmth seems to be creeping into my mids. I'm a kind of person who likes clear and cold mids. Highs are tamed, with a tad more exposure on the 3-5khz range.

Alpha pads: Still had to wrestle these on, although they're more forgiving since they keep their stretch once stretched over a period of time. Sub bass is more prominent, mid bass isn't punchy, mids sound darker, and highs of course are tamed.
What I can say about the alpha pads is that they're DEFINITELY comfy. Mmm lambsheep skin...

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #395 of 751
So I've had these for a few months now and oh man do I love them :D Love how I'm able to listen to such a variety of genres which all sound great. 

One question, I want to get an amp but not sure what to get, doesn't need to be portable. What worries me is when people say they can't really tell any difference with on. Maybe the integrated sound card on my desktop is incredibly weak but it can't drive these very well at all, unlike my laptop with inbuilt amp. 
So any recommendations?  

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #396 of 751
So I've had these for a few months now and oh man do I love them :D Love how I'm able to listen to such a variety of genres which all sound great. 

One question, I want to get an amp but not sure what to get, doesn't need to be portable. What worries me is when people say they can't really tell any difference with on. Maybe the integrated sound card on my desktop is incredibly weak but it can't drive these very well at all, unlike my laptop with inbuilt amp. 
So any recommendations?  

Hello

I ordered Aeune T1 for my HD 580. I have read that ATH A900x doesn't need an amp. Let my try and I will come back to you.

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #397 of 751

So any recommendations?  

Maybe the problem is the DAC? Get an external amp/DAC combo and you'll be fine. You can try Fiio E07K to start with. If you want something better the we can discuss better combos.

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #398 of 751

So any recommendations?  

I've had these headphones with the longest usage out of my entire rack. 3000+ hours with different sources, in fact they are my first "audiophile" pair of headphones. I still try a bunch of earpads with it such as the Alpha Pads and HE-400 Pleathers. I modded the wings for them to have a tighter spring.

DAC's and Amps with the A900X

***Please do note that these are very incremental changes and you may not notice an immediate difference. Your ears will adjust to the new sound signature, and if you change back to your previous source change. You will notice the change for better or for worse.

The Dac:

***The DAC is what will be the only thing you need to worry about. It will depend on how solid the bass hump hits, cold/warmth of the headphone, and soundstage/imaging for the A900X. As the A900X does not benefit from major amping if your device can meet the requirements of outputting at least 60 Ohms. The headphones only require 43 Ohms. However, the quality of the source for headphones is how stable the current is being outputted into the headphones. Laptops may not be able to provide a steady output. Your laptop may be a weak DAC and may not provide the cleanest signal. A cleaner signal will slightly improve the clarity of the mids, slightly provide rough sparkly treble, and slightly add more texture (not quantity) to the bass.
Despite the 53mm drivers, the A900X is easy to drive.

Using a weak source not outputting enough current, you may feel:
-Sharp and uncontrolled treble (This spike will be controlled with better recordings as well)
-Weak bass kicks (Again, depends on the original music recordings)
-Congested midrange

Warm amps/dac's (FiiO Line):
-Bassier (enjoyable with bass guitars, note the warmth will not muddy up the mids)

Cold amps/dacs (I only have 1 cold source, and that's my onboard Crosshair Formula-Z Supreme FXIII Audio):
-Controlled solid bass
-Rougher treble

The FiiO E07K and A900X (in addition to Ashade's opinion of the E07K)

From my PC, I leave the E07K at 0 gain and max volume (which in this case is 60). I leave the rest of the volume controls to my keyboard. On weaker devices that cannot output enough volume, I set the E07K at +6 gain which is more than enough most of the time.

The E07K is a great sounding DAC for its' price point, it's portable and you can bring it anywhere as a portable AMP/DAC. I'm still using it until my ODAC/Objective 2 comes in the mail.

Basshead Paradise on a budget (meaning you're not willing to buy a Sony XB500 for the sake of bass). If you love techno and metal, I just know you might do this.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AS THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR HEADPHONES

The E07K has a built in Equalizer, in which you can bump the bass all the way so the entire cans vibrate. It also has a treble option in which you can decrease the treble to lower the harsh treble if you plan to bump the bass to the max and crank the volume up. 
In this scenario:
I have the treble at -6 which reduces the harsh highs when putting these on the limit
The bass at +10. For the most bass quantity.
With volume at 60 and gain on +6. The gain on +6 will extract the most bass detail it can out of the digital signal and I believe it puts the E07K outputting 150 ohms; pushing the a900x at its' utmost limit.

Even though it is EXTREMELY fun. I might have nicked the drivers a little in which if I turn the volume too high with the bass, the left driver makes a rattly vibrating sound. IF YOU DO HAPPEN TO DO THIS, bass guitars don't flood the mids too much and bass kicks feel like you're really inside a bass kick drum. Along with the oh so heavenly sub bass)

I was even able to push more bass quantity out of the A900X than the Dr Dre Detox. The Dr Dre Detox's bass distorted and covered the entire mids way before the A900X got to unleash its' power.

Getting a better AMP

Unless if you plan to push the bass to the max AND be able to hear your mids/treble, there is no absolute reason to upgrade your amp for these headphones in particular. On a regular MP3 player such as a Sony Walkman and iPod Touch, these can go quite loud.

The A900X is a fun and balanced sounding headphone. With nice punchy and clean sounding bass, rich mids and sparkly treble. Going all out for an amp for this headphone in this particular, again; isn't necessary. The only time you need a better amp is if you're going to play these headphones at an unusually loud volume without distorting the headphones. At that point though, your ears might not be able to take it, or a driver will pop.

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #399 of 751
  I've had these headphones with the longest usage out of my entire rack. 3000+ hours with different sources, in fact they are my first "audiophile" pair of headphones. I still try a bunch of earpads with it such as the Alpha Pads and HE-400 Pleathers. I modded the wings for them to have a tighter spring.

DAC's and Amps with the A900X

***Please do note that these are very incremental changes and you may not notice an immediate difference. Your ears will adjust to the new sound signature, and if you change back to your previous source change. You will notice the change for better or for worse.

The Dac:

***The DAC is what will be the only thing you need to worry about. It will depend on how solid the bass hump hits, cold/warmth of the headphone, and soundstage/imaging for the A900X. As the A900X does not benefit from major amping if your device can meet the requirements of outputting at least 60 Ohms. The headphones only require 43 Ohms. However, the quality of the source for headphones is how stable the current is being outputted into the headphones. Laptops may not be able to provide a steady output. Your laptop may be a weak DAC and may not provide the cleanest signal. A cleaner signal will slightly improve the clarity of the mids, slightly provide rough sparkly treble, and slightly add more texture (not quantity) to the bass.
Despite the 53mm drivers, the A900X is easy to drive.

Using a weak source not outputting enough current, you may feel:
-Sharp and uncontrolled treble (This spike will be controlled with better recordings as well)
-Weak bass kicks (Again, depends on the original music recordings)
-Congested midrange

Warm amps/dac's (FiiO Line):
-Bassier (enjoyable with bass guitars, note the warmth will not muddy up the mids)

Cold amps/dacs (I only have 1 cold source, and that's my onboard Crosshair Formula-Z Supreme FXIII Audio):
-Controlled solid bass
-Rougher treble

The FiiO E07K and A900X (in addition to Ashade's opinion of the E07K)

From my PC, I leave the E07K at 0 gain and max volume (which in this case is 60). I leave the rest of the volume controls to my keyboard. On weaker devices that cannot output enough volume, I set the E07K at +6 gain which is more than enough most of the time.

The E07K is a great sounding DAC for its' price point, it's portable and you can bring it anywhere as a portable AMP/DAC. I'm still using it until my ODAC/Objective 2 comes in the mail.

Basshead Paradise on a budget (meaning you're not willing to buy a Sony XB500 for the sake of bass). If you love techno and metal, I just know you might do this.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AS THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR HEADPHONES

The E07K has a built in Equalizer, in which you can bump the bass all the way so the entire cans vibrate. It also has a treble option in which you can decrease the treble to lower the harsh treble if you plan to bump the bass to the max and crank the volume up. 
In this scenario:
I have the treble at -6 which reduces the harsh highs when putting these on the limit
The bass at +10. For the most bass quantity.
With volume at 60 and gain on +6. The gain on +6 will extract the most bass detail it can out of the digital signal and I believe it puts the E07K outputting 150 ohms; pushing the a900x at its' utmost limit.

Even though it is EXTREMELY fun. I might have nicked the drivers a little in which if I turn the volume too high with the bass, the left driver makes a rattly vibrating sound. IF YOU DO HAPPEN TO DO THIS, bass guitars don't flood the mids too much and bass kicks feel like you're really inside a bass kick drum. Along with the oh so heavenly sub bass)

I was even able to push more bass quantity out of the A900X than the Dr Dre Detox. The Dr Dre Detox's bass distorted and covered the entire mids way before the A900X got to unleash its' power.

Getting a better AMP

Unless if you plan to push the bass to the max AND be able to hear your mids/treble, there is no absolute reason to upgrade your amp for these headphones in particular. On a regular MP3 player such as a Sony Walkman and iPod Touch, these can go quite loud.

The A900X is a fun and balanced sounding headphone. With nice punchy and clean sounding bass, rich mids and sparkly treble. Going all out for an amp for this headphone in this particular, again; isn't necessary. The only time you need a better amp is if you're going to play these headphones at an unusually loud volume without distorting the headphones. At that point though, your ears might not be able to take it, or a driver will pop.

Great write-up and I agree, these are tremendous headphone.
It's a shame the W1000X are not that much better, given the difference in price.
It's more the improvement in comfort & looks, rather than a substantial sonic improvement.
I'd wonder just how the LTD version performs [http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3256]
Though the price might seem rather high to me.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #400 of 751
Thanks everyone for the input. For some reason my motherboard on my  desktop must not be good enough to power these headphones because as Nec3 mentioned, the highs are sharp and not extended, almost zero bass and the mids are kind of messy. I know my laptop has some sort of headphone amp (or dac maybe? its an envy 14), I change the bass boost to +12db in sound settings and it makes them vibrate quite a lot in some songs but still sound great of course. 

I guess I'll buy the fiio e7 and see how I go. I'm just worried I won't hear any difference since people are saying these should be easy to drive. It's literally night and day using my laptop and desktop to power these atm. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #401 of 751
Thanks everyone for the input. For some reason my motherboard on my  desktop must not be good enough to power these headphones because as Nec3 mentioned, the highs are sharp and not extended, almost zero bass and the mids are kind of messy. I know my laptop has some sort of headphone amp (or dac maybe? its an envy 14), I change the bass boost to +12db in sound settings and it makes them vibrate quite a lot in some songs but still sound great of course. 

I guess I'll buy the fiio e7 and see how I go. I'm just worried I won't hear any difference since people are saying these should be easy to drive. It's literally night and day using my laptop and desktop to power these atm. 

You will then notice the difference easily.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #402 of 751
Hello

I ordered Aeune T1 for my HD 580. I have read that ATH A900x doesn't need an amp. Let my try and I will come back to you.

Ok. My HD 580 came a live with T1 but I did not notice:) an improvement in my ATH A900X. :):):)

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #403 of 751

Beats Technology

If I'm correct, the Envy 14 uses "Beats Technology". Now the thing with this, is that what "Beats Technology" does with your sound is totally mess it up. I'm not even going to bother putting it formally. It sets the equalizer in an M shape so that the bass is totally recessed, the mids are recessed, and the highs are recessed. That is why your desktop sounds ultimately better since it outputs a supposedly "flat response". Once you turn on "Beats Technology", the frequency response turns into a W shape. Bass is exaggurated, mids are forwarded, and highs are more textured.

I don't have exact listenning experiences with the Envy 14's, but this is what my IT friend told me
Again to backup Ashade, you WILL hear a difference. This time it's for the better.

Onboard to External

I've upgraded from a Supreme FX III onboard card, to an Xonar DG 5.1, to an E07K. I definitely heard a difference there. The jump to the E07K was not night and day difference or mindblowing, because my original two sound sources are pretty great from the beginning. However these differences are more "felt", rather than heard with an A900X. Mids were richer on the E07K, treble is balanced out because of the warmth the E07K provides, and the bass is effortlessly pumping.

Another HOWEVER, is that what really made the difference, is that the Supreme FX III does not extract microdetails. Reverbs aren't very audible in the mids, and as you said, bass and trebles don't extend. After going back to my onboard after a few thousand hours of usage from my E07K, I definitely do notice it 5 minutes into music playback.

The audio is cleaner because it's external and there are no PC components interefering with the signal. Allowing you to enjoy classical and vocal tracks, and allowing you to notice the noise in a recording as ambience. 

There's more to bass than the quantity (and I see you've already had some fun :D). The a900x has a midbass hump that will make bass guitars sound fun. The hump ranges inbetween 50-250hz. This is exactly like making a line with a permanent marker on a deflated balloon, and inflating it to see the imperfections of the ink that didn't sink through every pore in the rubber. This what you may experience when you have the bass end of the A900X properly driven. 

Ignorance is Bliss

You will hear this very often from headfi users here. If a majority of users say you will hear a difference, you will hear a difference. (I've even had this said to me too when upgrading sound sources from a DG 5.1 to E07K with an A900X). There are guys here still upgrading from $500 to $1000 amps trying to find their end-game equipment.

Night and Day differences

Let me just clarify that the difference you will be hearing is the upgrade of your DAC, not amp. Your devices (except maybe your laptop) may already be outputting 80 ohms, or something around impedence range. The Supreme FX III though more powerful than my E07K in turns of wattage and voltage, doesn't have a clean signal and is not sensitive enough to extract microdetails in recordings.

Sorry if I'm highlighting titles and overloading you with information, but I'm generalizing you (to be blunt) on your list of equipment and your post count on headfi. I have a lot of experience with the A900X and I thought I'd share it with you on a wonderful headphone :p

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #404 of 751
Not a lot of activity here lately so I thought I would post my last mod to share with people. I couldn't stand the lack of detachable cable in the A900X, this I just added it by myself. It took me a little bit more than I expected and it was the first I messed with cable. It came out well in the end. Maybe the white connector wasn´t the best choice... I might change that. :)

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #405 of 751
  Not a lot of activity here lately so I thought I would post my last mod to share with people. I couldn't stand the lack of detachable cable in the A900X, this I just added it by myself. It took me a little bit more than I expected and it was the first I messed with cable. It came out well in the end. Maybe the white connector wasn´t the best choice... I might change that. :)

WOW  good job!  But why you was so concerned about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back