Audio Technica ATH-A900X + BEYERDYNAMIC DT-990 Premium 250 Ohm sidegrade or upgrade?
Feb 3, 2014 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NoOneLt

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody, 

Sorry for long question..

Would like to get advice in such situation, recently i purchased ATH-A900X (at the moment of purchase i wanted closed headphones), used it for a while with my PC through Creative X-FI Titanium (not HD and i do know it is not top component and maybe it is bottlenecking my phones) use Foobar + ASIO or WASAPI depending on situation and source. So used them mostly for gaming and music, and what i feel about them then i'am not amazed, please understand me right, i just say what i feel not blaming headphones. This is mi first Hi-Fi gear ( well i also have Pioneer VSX-922 + yamaha NS-555 but don't know if this called hi-fi :) ) i was kinda expecting something more, though i do not know what to expect really, it is not possible to listen to headphones in my country, or very few models, we are small country, so i just can't compare, only forums help me :) ATH sounds good, clear, but it seems like they miss some "fulness", music don't sound so "true", seems like it is more fun to listen to home theater set-up, but i know it is not perfect at all, so i believe ATH just being bottlenecked by my sound-card.

So first of all i plan to upgrade to Creative ZxR (came to it reading head-fi and also market is limiting me to something like this, because i want' both gaming and music, and also ZxR mic is very useful for me, as i play online and need voice support). So i hope very much this will bring my ATH alive!

But also i would like to try another headphones, and readings led me to something like DT-990, i can't use open headphones all the time, so idea is to have something to listen and fully enjoy from time to time, mostly music, games when "home-alone".

Would DT-990 be kind of upgrade over ATH if compared in music, i know one can't compare open vs. closed and open headphones seem so be praised over closed. So would it be a step up in music or just "sidegrade"? Also looked at Q701 but all reviews says DT-990 bit more fun, have more bass, so i stopped at it.

I wan't to tell it is my first steps in head-fi, so it feels like i want' to touch this, touch that... :)

Thanks for Your opinion in advance!

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 3
Sure you can think of it as an upgrade. The DT990 does sound more open and dynamic, but more has to do with the sound signatures. Lots more bass and treble, whereas the A900X is a mid-centric phone (though still very balanced).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back