Audio Technica ATH-70 Electret Headphones??
Jul 10, 2010 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Noobiiee

100+ Head-Fier
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200484216306&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

Bought them a while ago but haven't got a chance to test them properly since I don't have a speaker amp. Any experience with these phones or at least how to get them going from a headphone amp? From my friend's cheap jvc stereo amplifier, I noticed they seems to be quite bass shy, the instrument separation is very clear but that may be due to the amplifier. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 6
Lucky bas***d that had the winning bid. Well worth the $56 of the winning bid. They look the same as the Stax and Signet models produced at the the same time frame, I still have my Signet's of the same time frame, they are bass shy but the mids and highs are very good. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 6
Lol I no. I thought it was gnna be bidded up to around ~70GBP. The hps themselves my need a bit of cleaning but the pads are still very comfy. I just got one question: Is there anyway I could wire the input with a 3.5mm or 6.8mm male plug to use them with a headphone amp cos I don't have a decent speaker amp at the moment?

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 6
I have a pair of these as well, I bought them at a second hand store for 4.99. I am still looking for a transformer to plug them into. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could find one?

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Noobiiee-- You could wire them up with a 6.3mm plug, but you'd have to have an amp with a lot of voltage swing to hear much. That pretty much leaves out all conventional/affordable headphone amps. You need stepup transformers (with a voltage ratio of around 25 to 1) to get much volume.

Any of the Audio-Technica electrostatic-'phone transformer boxes from the ATH-7 on up will work with the ATH-70 headset.

Bass can be improved by getting replacement earpads that have intact pleather covering.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Bumping an old thread, since it looks like I just scored an ATH-7 (no 0).

Can the ATH-7 transformer box be plugged into a T-amp that doesn't like its speaker channels bridged? (I assume that for sanity's sake they wouldn't have a box with a common ground if it's designed to be plugged into any random amplifier, but I don't know for sure.)

Also - are replacement pads (or reliable substitutes for the originals) available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back