Audio Technica ATH-0.15F (SoundBurger's HP)
Jul 31, 2010 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dogears

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, here's the headphones that came with the SoundBurger portable record player. My pair came without the pads anymore. I gave it a listen without the pads and noticed the midrange has lots of potential. So I hunted for a pair of pads that will fit it's smallish drivers but to no avail.
The DIY blood in me decided to do something about it and tried some variations with readily available materials. During the process, I found out that the drivers like to sit near the ears (at least to my ears). It's where the sound is most balanced.

A yellow SoundBurger

Making use of Teflon/PTFE tape 'holder'(?)

I even filled up the holder with clay but it really didn't help with the bass.

Borrowed the Senn yellow pads from my SR80. Groovy!

Continued trying something even the mug insulator

Well, it's getting bulkier and the pads will be harder to make/get/buy so I applied the KISS approach... I am not stupid though :D

Halved the Teflon holder

Then fitted the drivers back in and used a cheap pair of foam pads

And here's the final version (for now) I just did this morning

I once had a pair of K701 and sold it after noticing the missing mids I wanted that I'm getting from my pair of UE SF5(v2). Well, after comparing the sf5 with the 0.15F, I really liked the mids on the 0.15F, it is more forward and life-like if I may. The bass and treble I believe are rolled off but I don't mind the overall sound I'm hearing.
I really wanted to hear it against my SR80 but I didn't bring it so it has to wait.
I will enjoy the sound from this hard-to-find(?) AT headphones for now :)
Those who own it, please sound off :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 9
It lives, bwahahaha!
biggrin.gif

Got a donor to help with more grip on my head/ears... loving the mids on these drivers
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 9
I have no idea what's going on, but I like it.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Nice unconventional thinking bro, maybe to get more bass out of it, try changing the sponge pads to pleathers, the extra seal will raise the Low FR. then it's whether they can produce good bass. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back