Audio Technica AT-PHA55BT: BT headphone amplifier (LDAC)

Do you consider using LDAC (choose one)?

• No, I prefer wired connection for my portable audio gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my SBC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my AAC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptX bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptXHD bluetooth gear.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC earphones.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC receiver.

• I may consider using BT only if much better LDAC products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better aptx HD products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better codecs become available. LDAC is not enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jul 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #61 of 72
I own a V20 phone and an S9 phone and I hear quite a stark difference in sound using my WI1000X IEM. The V20 which uses APTxHD loses quite a bit of the dynamics as compared to the S9 which supports LDAC. In fact I actually prefer LDAC on the S9 over its phone jack because the built in DAC is a bit to warm compared to what I am used to while the WI1000x is essentially it's own DAC and is more neutral sounding while retaining as much detail as my ears can hear.

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #64 of 72
Audio Technica HK has finally confirmed official stores for AT-PHA55BT within HK, at HK$1299

"
Dear Sir,

So sorry to keep you waiting. AT-PHA55BT is available in Hong Kong.

Please contact the following authorized dealers for purchase of AT-PHA55BT.

Apex Headphone (https://www.facebook.com/apexheadphone/)

Shop 328, 3/F., Sim City

No.47-51 Shan Tung Street

Mong Kok, Kowloon.

Tel : 3527 3278

DMA (http://www.dma-audio.com/store.php?id=77)

Shop 219 - 223, 2/F., Sim City

No.47-51 Shantung Street

Mong Kok, Kowloon.

Tel : 3971 0242

Thanks & Regards,

Audio-Technica (Greater China) Ltd."

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #67 of 72
assuming you're using ldac mode on at-pha55bt and aptx-hd on xb-10, what the difference in sound quality and performance?
Absolutely none, it is impossible for anybody alive to hear the difference. Anybody who claims to hear the difference is using sighted listening. In blind listening I would bet my life that not a soul on this planet would be able to tell over multiple trials so don't lose sleep over it. I have LDAC and Apt x capable sources and headphones and there is no difference.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #68 of 72
Absolutely none, it is impossible for anybody alive to hear the difference. Anybody who claims to hear the difference is using sighted listening. In blind listening I would bet my life that not a soul on this planet would be able to tell over multiple trials so don't lose sleep over it. I have LDAC and Apt x capable sources and headphones and there is no difference.

presumably, you mean no difference between aptx hd and ldac, aptx uses same bitrate as regular bluetooth 4.2

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #69 of 72
presumably, you mean no difference between aptx hd and ldac, aptx uses same bitrate as regular bluetooth 4.2
I don't hear a difference even with good old aptx.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #70 of 72
assuming you're using ldac mode on at-pha55bt and aptx-hd on xb-10, what the difference in sound quality and performance?

Codec aside, there is clear differences between pha55bt and xb10. The sound of pha55bt is warmer, more organic and with better imaging as well. Xb10 is a bit drier, but I think it is a bit detailed as well. Pha55bt is cleaner, less hiss with sensitive IEM. Xb10 hiss can be quite troublesome with sensitive IEM, but have balanced output that is more powerful. Personally, I'll choose pha55bt anyday over xb10.

Regarding codec, aptx hd is pretty much comparable to ldac, so as long as your phone supported one, you are good with either. Regular aptx still give sort of compressed sound to it, I think due to the higher noise floor.

Here is some good articles:
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-aptx-and-aptx-hd-19914/
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

The noise floor of aptx codec can reach as high as -74db in high frequency. This is something audible I think, especially for high dynamic range tracks.

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #71 of 72
Codec aside, there is clear differences between pha55bt and xb10. The sound of pha55bt is warmer, more organic and with better imaging as well. Xb10 is a bit drier, but I think it is a bit detailed as well. Pha55bt is cleaner, less hiss with sensitive IEM. Xb10 hiss can be quite troublesome with sensitive IEM, but have balanced output that is more powerful. Personally, I'll choose pha55bt anyday over xb10.

Regarding codec, aptx hd is pretty much comparable to ldac, so as long as your phone supported one, you are good with either. Regular aptx still give sort of compressed sound to it, I think due to the higher noise floor.

Here is some good articles:
https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-aptx-and-aptx-hd-19914/
https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/

The noise floor of aptx codec can reach as high as -74db in high frequency. This is something audible I think, especially for high dynamic range tracks.

Thanks for the info

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #72 of 72
I don't think it is this simple. I am still trying to find the information, but I remember reading an explanation from an audio engineer about the audibility of signal to noise ratios (SNR) as it related to music and what our hearing brain could distinguish and if I recall anything above -40db was acceptable. I think those linked articles while useful are very simplified and seem to echo marketing speak, but none really put forth evidence about at what point can we detect a difference in SNR. I need to understand the topic better, so I am quite willing to state that I am trying hard to grasp things, but based on what I am reading it does not seem to suggest that there is any audible (in real world listening to music situations) between the signal to noise between the two apt X iterations. I do not represent this as fact and I am completely open to any thoughts. I wish I had the time now but I don't, if I did I would find actually research that investigated in the realm of audio what SNR levels were audible and at what point SN becomes transparent to the user.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back