Audio Technica AT-PHA55BT: BT headphone amplifier (LDAC)

Do you consider using LDAC (choose one)?

• No, I prefer wired connection for my portable audio gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my SBC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my AAC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptX bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptXHD bluetooth gear.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC earphones.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC receiver.

• I may consider using BT only if much better LDAC products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better aptx HD products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better codecs become available. LDAC is not enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 12, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #46 of 72
seems like this is the best audiophile wireless solution ever (until another model in the distance future with both 3.5mm unbalanced and 4.4mm balanced and maybe an oled display, probably won't ever be released)

Mar 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #47 of 72
seems like this is the best audiophile wireless solution ever (until another model in the distance future with both 3.5mm unbalanced and 4.4mm balanced and maybe an oled display, probably won't ever be released)

It would be nice to read some comparisons with the Radsone ES100 (which is great).

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #48 of 72
I was at Hong Kong personal Audio exhibition last night, the audio technica at-pha55bt has been confirmed to be released in Hong Kong from summer 2018, I have ask Audio technica people there. Price will be similar to Japan retail price

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #52 of 72
great article
Yeah, I don't write it directly, but Mojo just trashes Audio Technica on Acoustune iems, that are dark and bassy sounding, and little muffled by design, because it cleans the sound up and it grasps the balls of these iems and swings with them and throws their sound onto you. :)
I am still waiting for a specific cable replacement, which should even further help Mojo clean the sound and make it sound even more natural (Toxic cables Black widow - puro copper that is said to clean up sound without taking away the characteristics of copper i.e. without taking away the warmness that these iems has and need to sound well. Silver would take it away, and it would not sound natural.)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #54 of 72
Yeah, I don't write it directly, but Mojo just trashes Audio Technica on Acoustune iems, that are dark and bassy sounding, and little muffled by design, because it cleans the sound up and it grasps the balls of these iems and swings with them and throws their sound onto you. :)
I am still waiting for a specific cable replacement, which should even further help Mojo clean the sound and make it sound even more natural (Toxic cables Black widow - puro copper that is said to clean up sound without taking away the characteristics of copper i.e. without taking away the warmness that these iems has and need to sound well. Silver would take it away, and it would not sound natural.)

The mojo is a pretty high end ( however, it's affordable) dac and the AT-PHA55BT is a wireless ldac receiver, can't really be compared, nevertheless, based on the reviews, it literally trashes 99% bluetooth solutions due to high bitrate and adds significantly improve to regular phones built in dac

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #55 of 72
Does anyone have one of these for sale? The pha55bt? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #56 of 72
Does anyone have one of these for sale? The pha55bt? Thanks.

write to yodobashi.com who are japanese electronics retailer, one of the largest ones, they delivery throughout the world, so far audio technica at-pha55bt no confirmation yet of Hong Kong release, even though one of the representatives confirmed release in summer a few months ago

info@yodobashi.com

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #57 of 72
Ok thanks for the info. Appreciate that.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #58 of 72
_DSC3467.JPG
_DSC3473.JPG
_DSC3478.JPG

Just picked this up... lovely sound :)

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #59 of 72
I'm going to be a party pooper here and suggest that there is unlikely to be any audible advantage to LDAC. This post will make some people say this belongs in the sound science forum, which I admit it does, but hopefully I won't trigger anybody too much. So first off, in terms of bitrate, Apt X is capable of 352. Why is that important? Well, beyond a bitrate of 320 it is arguably not possible to tell the difference. About 4 years ago at a head-fi meet I organized here in Ottawa I conducted a multiple subject, multiple trial blind listening test. I took one very dynamic and well recorded song, One Trick Pony by Holy Cole and made a 320mp3 from the lossless master that I ripped from the commercial CD I own. Each user used the same equipment. Before the trials began each user was able to set the volume level they wanted. Once they indicated that they had the volume level correct for their preference, no further volume adjustment was allowed.

I had seven subjects, 6 of them under 25 years of age (one subject was in his mid 40s), so almost all young ears, and all head-fi members. They were tasked with indicating if they could hear a difference between the two files, lossless or the lossy file made from the lossless file. Each subject had at least 5 trials where both versions were played to them. I would vary the order of which file was played first per trial pairing, but the subject had no idea what file version was being played at any time. Prior to the trials two of the subjects were completely confident they could tell the difference as they had "tested" themselves using sighted tests, in other words, they knew when they were listening to lossy versus lossless. Not in my test they didn't. Guess what? Not one of the 7 subjects did better than 50% detection, in other words, completely guessing. In order to have demonstrated any reliable detection subjects would have to be at least 90% accurate, so obviously they fell well shy of that mark. My results are not unique, these results are commonplace with blind listening tests.

That isn't proof, but it is pretty suggestive that people should consider that their belief in an audible difference between a 320 and lossless file is simply an assumption until tested. I say this as the notion that LDAC and the significantly higher bitrate will sound better shouldn't just be accepted. I had a Bluetooth Apt X HD headphone (B&W PX) and my LG G6 which does Apt X HD and I couldn't hear a difference as compared with my laptop when it streamed Apt X only to the PX. You don't have to agree with me, but I do hope that people keep an open mind and at least entertain that Apt X is already capable of excellent, and transparent quality. That said, it really doesn't matter, listen to LDAC, I'm quite sure that it will sound fantastic so no harm no foul, but hopefully people don't automatically assume LDAC is superior. My experience with Bluetooth over about the last 3 years (Sony 1000XM, B&W P7, B&O H7, B&W PX, Onkyo H500BT and Definitive Technology Symphony 1) is that Bluetooth with Apt X sounds fantastic, and recently when I compare the Apt X enabled FiiO Q5 versus the USB connection to my laptop, I can't hear a difference.

Again, I can't and don't make absolute claims, I am simply trying to keep healthy, critical thought in the area. My apology if my sound science forum like post bothers anybody, I can delete it if it does.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #60 of 72
I know that 320kbps is almost indistinguishable with lossless, personally I'm also not confident enough to tell between the two, especially in blind test scenario. But from my experience with aptX HD and LDAC, both codecs appear to benefit more. At least from Bluetooth receivers I owned that support either of this codecs, they are a lot more stable compared to aptX only one, less drop happening. I would argue it sounds better too when either of these codecs were in use, but someone had to set me a blind abx test to see if it is my placebo.

But as I experienced more stable connection when either these codecs is in use, the benefit seems to be more than just a simple sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back