Audio Technica AT-PHA55BT: BT headphone amplifier (LDAC)

Do you consider using LDAC (choose one)?

• No, I prefer wired connection for my portable audio gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my SBC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my AAC bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptX bluetooth gear.

• No, I am perfectly happy with my aptXHD bluetooth gear.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC earphones.

• Yes, I consider using LDAC receiver.

• I may consider using BT only if much better LDAC products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better aptx HD products (specswise) become available.

• I may consider using BT only if much better codecs become available. LDAC is not enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 31, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #31 of 72
Alright, I made it clear, that what I describe as analytical sound of Xperia XZ1 phone is actually sound, that is f*ked up in some kind of analytical way. This receiver does not sufer with this problem in presentation of instruments, and that is a good thing.

I finally compared it with Chord Mojo, and to my ears, on B setting with iFi IEMatch (later on that), it sounds quite similar to it. It misses some of its fullness in lower frequencies, but it keeps the fine articulation and the right amount of bass and treble spark. Mojo sound is a more relaxed and better pronounced, but the difference is acceptable.

It definitely is a keeper.

The A setting lacks some of the bass, that may be achieved with B setting with IEMatch (on High Sensitivity)
B setting without IEMatch is too bassy and the treble is not perfect.
B setting with IEMatch gives me the right amount of bass and treble and also the right amount of Volume while Volume is maxed out on phone and therefore it does not miss any bits that would be cut out with lower Volume settings, therefore this combination is perfect for my earphones (Echobox Finder X1).

have you ever tried it with a Iphone? i am curious about its performance when it comes to AAC codec.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #32 of 72
have you ever tried it with a Iphone? i am curious about its performance when it comes to AAC codec.

I listen only with phone. Yes, I can clearly hear the difference between LDAC, Aptx, AAC, SBC.
They sound different to LDAC even regardless compression.
- Aptx has more loud higher tones, differently sounding bass (worse, i.e. less mellow). Compression is apparent with Aptx. LDAC sounds more rounded - matured.
- AAC sounds more similar to LDAC, but you can recognize the compression in direct comparison with LDAC. Compression makes the aftersounds sound shorter, threfore motes sound less defined, everything sounds a little distorted.. especially drums. It is more apparent even with SBC.
The compression makes all codecs except LDAC sound somehow sharp. It is less apparent with AAC (but it still is), more apparent with Aptx.
LDAC sounds fine, natural, well aged, rounded.

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #33 of 72
I do not have AptxHD in the unit for comparison, but based on these findings, I would hesitate to use Aptx at all. The sharpness is unacceptable. AAC is better choice, but LDAC is miles ahead.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #34 of 72
I do not have AptxHD in the unit for comparison, but based on these findings, I would hesitate to use Aptx at all. The sharpness is unacceptable. AAC is better choice, but LDAC is miles ahead.

Fwiw, I use APTX all of the time (S7 Edge to bluetooth headphones or Fiio BTR1), and I don't find anything about it unacceptable (sounds great to me). Granted, I've never listened to LDAC, but even if it is considerably better, that wouldn't make APTX "unacceptable" to me ("not preferred" would be more apt).

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 72
It may be caused by implementation of these codecs into this specific unit. My intention was not to start a flamewar, but to point out, that there is some kind of mellowness to sound of Ldac and sharpness to sound of Aptx. And that I did not hear this kind of difference in the other codecs.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #36 of 72
Just a very quick update, I have to agree on myusernameislove's review, the device sounds great.
I haven't been able to put it through it's paces yet fully due to some family circumstances but I'll try to write a review in the coming weeks.
It does look and sounds the part though I can say.
It's not big, but the attention to detail and materials used make this look like a high end device, plus it drives my klipsch x12i's in ear beatifully on B (balanced armature setting).
Shame I can't get my hands on a radsone to do a face-off comparison. :wink:

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #39 of 72
Ok and now the shortcomings : the signal does not reach far (with any of the codecs). Switching between ldac's Connection priority mode and Quality priority mode seem to have a little or no effect at all. 3-4 meters, and it may start to drop the signal. It behaves standardly as other class 2 BT4.1 devices I tried, maybe a tiny bit worse. Walking outside with it (on a street or in a bus or underground) and listening to it in an office while sitting and having it in a pocket while phone is on a table close to computer is perfectly fine. It does not pick interferences from other devices near to it (as Mojo does) as far as I noticed. Some ugly signal drops may occur occasionally at home when there is a heavy data load on a WiFi networks around you. Maybe in this situation may Connection priority mode come in handy. My understading is such, that if it supported BT5, it would behave much better in all these situations that I described. It behaves fine while moving around near your smartphone in a room, just pause the music (short press PLAY/PAUSE button) for a moment before you walk outside of your room. If you switch your receiver OFF and ON again, it plays a short pleasant sound to let you know it automatically reconnected, but after you short press the PLAY/PAUSE it may struggle to continue playing the song again. I discovered, that if you long press PREV or FORWARD button first (this is supposed to set prev/next song) and short press PLAY/PAUSE afterwards, music starts playing again. Short pressing PREV and FORWARD buttons changes the volume.

The clip does not hold the unit tightly and securely, it tends to fall off. Apply a bit of Bondic (plastic welder) paste to fix it in place. Do not blend it (you silly americans), it would blend. If it falls in your beer, just softly lick out the remaining beer and use it as an underlay for your table from that time on. Do not try to eat it. Do not use it under water. It does not protect you against bullets.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #40 of 72
It may be caused by implementation of these codecs into this specific unit. My intention was not to start a flamewar, but to point out, that there is some kind of mellowness to sound of Ldac and sharpness to sound of Aptx. And that I did not hear this kind of difference in the other codecs.

Thanks for that clarification!

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Back