Audio Technica AT-PHA30i - ipod powered amp
Dec 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 37
it is a real amp, powered by a 20mw X2 amp, but is unique to connect to the iPod, much like the Fiio E1. I think it is a great idea if AT can pull off a good implementation of it. Who knows, maybe they oem from Fiio - I cannot imagine they make even half of their massive line of products.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 37
I can tell you for sure that FiiO didn't OEM it for AT. In fact it is more like AT copied the idea since FiiO announced the idea first almost half a year ago (or you can call it spontaneous-idea-generating on AT's part
biggrin.gif
).

One thing I don't understand is why AT has to make the output so weak. 20mW is barely better than some DAP's headphone-out. Other than that it looks pretty solid. Personally I am more interest in the other small portable amp AT is releasing at the same time (no sure what model it is though).

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #6 of 37
Yep, that's the one.

I understand what you mean but still, FiiO didn't OEM anything for AT (I heard it from James @ FiiO himself).

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 37
I am pretty curious about how the AT-PHA30i sounds like. I bought the Icon Mobile amp but i found that I do need a remote for the iPod Touch. If it synergies nicely with the CK100 I would be pretty happy.

BTW, I believe elecom had a similar LOD/Remote which they sold for the last several years called the AVD-RCAD1WH.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 37
JPY12,600 is like US$140, right? That is real expensive. It will have too be extreme good to warrant that price tag.

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 37
Actually its around 8900 to 9800 yen retail, which is about $100 USD. Considering that my Icon Mobile amp cost me about 20,000 total when you include the LOD and the cable, it puts everything into perspective.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually its around 8900 to 9800 yen retail, which is about $100 USD. Considering that my Icon Mobile amp cost me about 20,000 total when you include the LOD and the cable, it puts everything into perspective.

I would think it is because Icon Mobile is severely overpriced in Japan (my understanding is Icon Mobile is around US$150 in Japan's local retail). You can actually buy directly from NuForce for $120, shipping included. A non-fancy LOD can be obtained from eBay for $10~20 with free shipping. Assuming if you get lucky on the custom, the total of both will come cheaper than buying from a Japanese retailer on the amp alone. Plus, don't forget Icon Mobile also has an USB DAC.

I think a fair comparison with be iBasso T4, which is about $110 in retail, or at least it should have the performance of a really good cmoy.

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 37
Yes, the Icon Mobile is overpriced if you buy it in Japan at retail prices. I bought a OK LOD and a interconnect cable all at the same time. I will use the Icon Mobile when I am at home, either with a CD player or my laptop, but using it in the subway during rush hour is too much of a hassle. I had the old Elecom inline remote for the iPod, and I loved the convenience of it but hated how it made everything connected to it brighter and seemed to compress the sound a little. This is why I am waiting for the AT-PHA30i. I am hoping it will have better synergy with the CK100 since they are both Audio Technica products. Actually, the Fiio E1 would also work, and I will try get on through DealExtreme.

Dec 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 37
AT-PHA30i BK/WH JPY12,600

too bad NOT compatible with iPhones
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #15 of 37
I bought one, and I am currently burning it in.

Right off the bat when paired with the ATH-CK100, there is slightly more bass when compared to the Icon Mobile.

More impressions to come after I listen to it some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back