Audio-Technica AT-HA5000 vs. Higher Fidelity HA-01 (photos)
Jul 26, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #31 of 127
I paid 3800hk$ without shipping
smily_headphones1.gif
My amp shipped 2 days ago but it was too late when i noticed that it got shipped by airmail and not via EMS. So it will be 5-7 days until it's here
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #32 of 127
I have one on the way as well. Paid $615 including shipping to Europe.
Like bizkid i bought it from kingsound. Samuel over there was a pleasure to deal with.

Jul 26, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #33 of 127
Have called the distributor of HA-01 and note the following :-

1. There are two retailers in Hong Kong, one is Kingsound. Typical retail price is HK$3,8xx (around US$490).

2. HA-01 is designed in Hong Kong, with some reference to HA-5000. One reason for HA-01 creation is because HA-5000 is not available in 220V version.

3. Overseas reviews and promotion is being arranged, so expect to hear more about this amp in a few months time.

FWIW,
F. Lo

Jul 27, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobs
I have one on the way as well. Paid $615 including shipping to Europe.
Like bizkid i bought it from kingsound. Samuel over there was a pleasure to deal with.

bobs...I'd like to hear your experience as well since I also have the W5000. I asked Samuel at Kingsound regarding upgrades and colour options but there are none...not crazy about the silver faceplate. He said configuring the voltage for North America shouldn't be a problem.

My decision to buy will be based on what I hear from you guys.....

Aug 2, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #35 of 127
Just to keep you updated, mine still hasnt arrive and the waiting is killing me!
biggrin.gif
Last time i got something from HK by normal airmail it took almost 3 weeks, i hope that wont repeat. The HA01 left HK by airplane on the 25th, it should really be here by any day (or the customs notice to pick it up)...

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #36 of 127
bizkid, I received mine three days ago, and i placed my order after you did .

First impressions are very positive, i definitely get a fuller, more detailed sound from my w5000 now. Most noticeable was the added bass impact.

I`m gonna hold off any further comments until i have used the amp for a while.

Couple of negatives though:
- Volume pot is VERY sensitive. You need to be careful when adjusting because this thing can deliver some serious volume. I would think that an amp designed for low-impedance headphones would have some more flexibility in this area.

- Even when nothing is plugged into the amp there is some quite noticeable noise through the headphones. This is quite irritating and i cant really believe that this is right. Bizkid, i`m very interested in hearing from you if you get the same issue.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #37 of 127
Quote:

Even when nothing is plugged into the amp there is some quite noticeable noise through the headphones. This is quite irritating and i cant really believe that this is right.

Thanks for the preliminary review - I look forward to your future findings. Please explain what this "noise" sounds like and at what level...ie, a mechanical noise or electrical noise. Thanks.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 127
well the noise, it sounds like regular static noise, like a radio between channels. When i turn the volume all the way up i can hear a slight hum as well.

I guess this is common for many amps, especially when you turn the volume to max. However, my ear+ has the same amount of noise at max volume as the HF has at the lowest.

I can forgive this fault when i hear the sound. Just did some comparison to the ear+ now, and really, there is no comparison in my ears. The HF is just so much better.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #39 of 127
If you get the noise at such low levels it might be a ground loop/problem or some interference from TV/Lights?
Maybe you can contact Samuel and ask him if that's normal.

I really really hope mine arrives tomorrow! Another weekend waiting for it will kill me
wink.gif

EDIT:

25-Jul-2006 Hong Kong Departed.
31-Jul-2006 Germany Arrived and is being processed.
31-Jul-2006 Germany Wrongly directed.

EDIT2:

Great service from Kingsound, Samuel contacted the HK Post office immediately and found out for me whats wrong with the tracking.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #40 of 127
Quote:

well the noise, it sounds like regular static noise, like a radio between channels. When i turn the volume all the way up i can hear a slight hum as well.

I guess this is common for many amps, especially when you turn the volume to max. However, my ear+ has the same amount of noise at max volume as the HF has at the lowest.

I can forgive this fault when i hear the sound. Just did some comparison to the ear+ now, and really, there is no comparison in my ears. The HF is just so much better.

Wow....I think you just made up my mind for me. I was debating between the Ear+ HD Purist and the Higher Fidelity (around the same price). Better place an order for it now - Thanks Bobs!!

ps, please do an A/B with your W5000...we have similar tastes in gear

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #42 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid
Another day without my HA01....
mad.gif
Definately the last time i used airmail over EMS just to safe a few bucks...
rolleyes.gif

Weird. EMS from Hong Kong to Finland has usually taken 5 days max. I hope you get yours soon.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #43 of 127
Just an update. I asked Samuel over at Kingsound about the noise i was experiencing. This is the response i got.

The noise may cause by EM influence from signal input jacker. To test, just
short circuit the input connector, the noise should become very low.

I have no idea what this means. Can anyone tell me how to perform such an operation? I sent a reply asking him about it, but i guess i wont get a reply until tomorrow. I would like to test it tonight.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #44 of 127
Sorry i have no idea what he exactly means, probably connecting RCA L to RCA R? Did you try it out in another room for less noise?

Anyway my HA01 still didnt show up, german post office cant start any investigation, thats only possible from HK. Luckily Samuel is helping really well. I already get nervous when i have to wait 5 minutes for the bus, this is too much for me with so much money involved
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #45 of 127
I`m sorry to hear about your problems bizkid, i know the pain involved. I really hope you receive it soon, i`m anxious to hear your impressions as well.

What Samuel suggested was to plug one side of the RCA jacks into the amp and connect the other side to a piece of metal. Might have helped a bit, not sure yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back